corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Tablet - iPad

New Poll
  <<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Tablet - iPad
AndyKent

User status: Offline
28th Jan 10 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having gone out of fanboy mode and into real world mode, I'm not so sure on it anymore.

I don't mind the lack of being a proper OS - thats fine, I don't want it to run anything and everything.

Its the lack of multitasking and lack of flash I think. Unless they can be added as software patches, I think I'll wait for 2nd gen......
Cosmo

28th Jan 10 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what I was saying about it, waiting for the second gen may well see things like a camera added, more memory, etc. but the other things are all software related and Im certain will be addressed with updates in the future at some point.
AndyKent

28th Jan 10 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't care about a camera in the slightest, or memory to be fair.

Being tied into using one app at a time is going to be a bit of a backwards step if I want to use my laptop less.

I don't want to buy a 1st gen model then find you can't upgrade the software to add multitasking
Dom

28th Jan 10 at 20:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

multitasking might happen, although it'll probably be through jailbreaking the iPad (at first anyways). Flash support will probably never happen. Adobe has been in that battle since the iPhone came out and Apple have basically told them to do one - shame really.
liamC

28th Jan 10 at 20:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not read anyone elses replies, but i watched the video of steve jobs presenting it for the first time... and all it looks like is a giant iphone/ipod touch?

i fail to see why anyone would want to buy one of them and carry it around over a laptop
AndyKent

28th Jan 10 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because you wouldn't carry it around......
Ste L

28th Jan 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ipad for women?(4 years old)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFNQE_TzQNI

Cosmo

28th Jan 10 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by liamC
i fail to see why anyone would want to buy one of them and carry it around over a laptop

Why not?
AlunJ

28th Jan 10 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm quite fancying the idea of one of these tbh, be better to lounge around with on the sofa than my macbook, and the 3g model would be handy to take to work, I await uk pricing before I'll even think about it more though
John

28th Jan 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think about lounging around on the sofa with it and how practical it would be.

One hand is taken up straight away holding it, what would you do if you wanted to type something?

It offers no benefits over a netbook and several downfalls.
Cosmo

28th Jan 10 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Think about lounging around on the sofa with it and how practical it would be.

One hand is taken up straight away holding it, what would you do if you wanted to type something?

It offers no benefits over a netbook and several downfalls.

TBH with the way I sit (with a cushion on my lap most of the time, or with my knees up feet on a stool) I dont think it would matter.

I do get what you're saying though and guess for some it'll be a pain.
Bart

28th Jan 10 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unfortunatly, the multitasking is a big draw back, but not enough to stop me.

The lack of flash, is something that will never get addressed.
You can see why they have done it though.
99% of online games within a browser are all flash based. At the moment, apple controls all apps/games (unless jailbroken) and get a reasonable cut from these sales.

If users get access to online flash games, where the majority are free, apple will loose millions in revenue.

[Edited on 28-01-2010 by Bart]
M2RTY

29th Jan 10 at 07:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whatever apple make certain types of people buy

simple as really

they dont invent anything new, they are just good at selling

im out
antscorsa

29th Jan 10 at 08:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt say they dont invent anything, more so they innovate ideas to a level that hasnt been matched!
there computers, phones, ipods etc wernt the first of its kind but there above and beyond in terms of design and function and joy of use compared to other products and brands!
i dont want one of these itabs but i think i will wait until i can have a blast of one as aparently quite a few people have said you need to use it to appreicate it!
2nd gen might be worth waiting for though
AndyKent

29th Jan 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart
Unfortunatly, the multitasking is a big draw back, but not enough to stop me.

The lack of flash, is something that will never get addressed.
You can see why they have done it though.
99% of online games within a browser are all flash based. At the moment, apple controls all apps/games (unless jailbroken) and get a reasonable cut from these sales.

If users get access to online flash games, where the majority are free, apple will loose millions in revenue.

[Edited on 28-01-2010 by Bart]

Apparently Apple aren't interested because flash is a real resource hog. They don't want people to turn round and say their tablet keeps slowing/crashing when it is actually Adobe software thats the problem. Not sure how true that is, but also makes sense I guess.

If they made it available with the promise that multitasking would be made available as a software update, I'd buy one right away. What I don't want to do is buy one, have it 6 months, then they allow multitasking but "the hardware won't support it" or some other crap.

You've then got a £500 machine worth 50p
Gary
Premium Member

29th Jan 10 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's just a iPod touch on steriods!

I have an iPhone and a MacBook, why would I need one of these? I wouldn't, it don't do anything new. If it ran OSX I'd be over it like a rash, but unfortunatly I think apple have fucked this one. It'll just be a gimmic that people will get bored with pretty quick. Shame really.

Think I'll put my money into the next iPhone, over this.
AndyKent

29th Jan 10 at 09:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by glb
It's just a iPod touch on steriods!

I have an iPhone and a MacBook, why would I need one of these? I wouldn't, it don't do anything new. If it ran OSX I'd be over it like a rash, but unfortunatly I think apple have fucked this one. It'll just be a gimmic that people will get bored with pretty quick. Shame really.

Think I'll put my money into the next iPhone, over this.

See thats where I disagree. If you have an iphone and macbook then you won't want this. But if you don't have either you might.

That way, Apple have made one product for everyone, rather than a few people only all the products.

Plus, if it ran OSX you'd never buy a macbook. Why have an £800 macbook, when you could have a £600 touchscreen item running exactly the same software.
Rob_Quads

29th Jan 10 at 09:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Apparently Apple aren't interested because flash is a real resource hog. They don't want people to turn round and say their tablet keeps slowing/crashing when it is actually Adobe software thats the problem. Not sure how true that is, but also makes sense I guess.

Thats the line they are trying to spin to many but it just comes down to a) they don't like Adobe much after some 'history' and b) if they enabled flash they would loose A LOT of revenue from flash games as many would just develop a web version that everyone can play and Apple would have no control over what you can do on the iPhone
Bart

29th Jan 10 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.funnyordie.co.uk/videos/d2b714361c/hello

FruitBooTeR

29th Jan 10 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get why everyone is in love with this? Is it just because its Apple?

Tablets have been around for ages! My old CISCO teacher at school (5 years ago) had one and it was great! Could even do multi tasking! and you could link it up to a projector and would be very useful in the classroom / workplace...this Ipad is just a reinvention of something which people think is new so Apple can make ££££
Cosmo

29th Jan 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think anyone is suggesting Apple has made some revolutionary product, of course tablets have been about for years.

But, with the amount and range of apps out there which can run on this, and (hopefully) the ease of use it will offer for a simple browsing/general use device, it should appeal to a wide range of people.
Bart

29th Jan 10 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing that draws me in, is its aimed at exactly what im looking for, a great looking device which does exactly what its aimed at, and very well.
If you want a full OS and to be able to run your own apps, then this obviously aint for you.

I learnt my lesson with this a while back.
For nearly 2 years I had a HTPC in my lounge, I used this because it had a full OS and I could do anything I want and play any type of file type I wanted.
The downside was, it had bloody windows on, which ment regular updates, driver updates, reboots, crashes and I also reformatted a couple of times.
In the end I bought a popcorn hour, which is a simple media streamer, but it does it extremly well and plays just about everything you can throw at it.
I've since bought my second PCH (C200) and never looked back.

I think the IPad will do what its aimed at very well, be simple to use look great.
It will be a success.

They said the IPod and IPhone would never take off.....

[Edited on 29-01-2010 by Bart]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

29th Jan 10 at 10:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

links to said popcorn hour
Cosmo

29th Jan 10 at 11:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
links to said popcorn hour

lazy shite

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

29th Jan 10 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks jeeves

<<  9    10    11    12    13    14    15  >>

New Poll