corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Apple Tablet - iPad

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Apple Tablet - iPad
Cosmo

User status: Offline
27th Jan 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
It can only output 480i - such a shame. With all the chips out there that are able to decode 1080p with minimal effort i would have hoped they went for one.

Looks like they have really gone out to make sure that its as slim as possible and as a result held features off it.

According to engadget it does 720i

According to Apple it won't lol

"Support for 1024 x 768 with Dock Connector to VGA adapter; 576p and 480p with Apple Composite A/V Cable, 576i and 480i with Apple Composite A/V Cable"

It was an apple employee who says it on the walk through video they have done
John

27th Jan 10 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1024x768 is technically greater than 720 lines, which is what the 720 in 720i/p means, it's not the 1366x768 that most 720 content comes in though.
Cosmo

27th Jan 10 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just checked the website, were you trying to pull a fast one Rob? From right under what you pasted...

H.264 video up to 720p, 30 frames per second, Main Profile level 3.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
Reecemac

27th Jan 10 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great idea from apple basically a touchscreen netbook, but I have a new macbook pro and iphone so no use for me, if I didnt have them id still prefer a laptop though, never really seen the need for a netbook, my mbp is only 13in and easy enough to carry around.
Bart

27th Jan 10 at 22:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hope o2 offer a good package for this, its not something id be willing to pay a monthly fee for.
Bart

27th Jan 10 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The speed is very impressive:
http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1057/365.702
Rob_Quads

27th Jan 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No - the way I am reading it is that you can only get 480p OUT of the device but ON the device its capable of playing back/scaling down 720p videos.

I was hoping for proper 720p/1080p output.

Playing 720p videos is not that much up on the iPhone which has been hacked to playback (scaled down) 720p video
John

27th Jan 10 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bart

It's got a 1ghz processor and can do a massive 1 thing at a time, it's not got an excuse to be anything but blazing fast.
Tommy L

27th Jan 10 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I certainly won't be getting one. I'll stick to pro.

But if you are just after something to browse, email and a bit of music then it is ideal. They will sell a shed load of these
Dom

28th Jan 10 at 02:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
Originally posted by Bart

It's got a 1ghz processor and can do a massive 1 thing at a time, it's not got an excuse to be anything but blazing fast.

Good article about the micro-sim (an issue if you're wanting to ship one in) - http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/27/apple-ipads-micro-sim-explained/
Bart

28th Jan 10 at 06:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ given the sucess of the iphone, I think these micro sim's will be developed pretty quickly by all carriers.
AndyKent

28th Jan 10 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The trouble is, they've only got 3 months to do it in, else all these people will be buying 3G models and can't use the 3G bit

As said above though, all a lot of people want is to browse the net, email and view photos and stuff.

I think this would also be awesome out on a photoshoot. Take the pictures, download straight to the ipad and view on a lovely looking screen to clients immediately.
Leighton

28th Jan 10 at 09:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it just looke like "huny i blew up my iphone"
Not a fan
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 09:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think its cool, Jobs is a tool, I like netbooks they are alot of use for engineers and shit and they are cheap which is always good.

I think they are spot on with it being between the iphone and ibooks or whatever they are called now, if I was a mac whore and had money to burn I'd be all over it like cheese on toast.
Rob_Quads

28th Jan 10 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
I think its cool, Jobs is a tool, I like netbooks they are alot of use for engineers and shit and they are cheap which is always good.

Have to say thats one area I would not see these going into. I would take a thinkpad tablet over an Apple one if I was rolling it out in my company. You can bash about a thinkpad and it just keeps working. Drop that thing a few times or put it down with your tools and i doubt it will last long.

It will sell massively into the dump simple web user market - and then other neich markets like mentioned for photographers
Nismo

28th Jan 10 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will sell into various markets

Home users
Photographers / Designers
Students
Sales man / People who work on the road

And we can see it being a big hit in the Security market, Surveillance systems currently work amazingly with the iPhone due to the phones performance, and with the iphone apps being ported accros we will be able to ship the iPads with surveillance systems in place of iPhones / Client PC's
willay
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

didnt think of the security aspect nismo but thats a great idea.
willay
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nismo

28th Jan 10 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Our industry has a unique application with the iPhone, As IP surveillance gets better we can use the iPhone with the likes of security and building management, your Surveillance systems and Access Control can go where ever you go in the world, These powerful devices dont have a problem displaying Megapixel cameras and streaming
willay
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i'm thinking more about homebrew setups like ZoneMinder (http://www.zoneminder.com/) - something like that then instead of using a PC to view the webserver/cameras you could whip out a tablet and browse to the webpage etc. Very cool!
Brett
Premium Member

28th Jan 10 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

John

28th Jan 10 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nismo
quote:

Our industry has a unique application with the iPhone, As IP surveillance gets better we can use the iPhone with the likes of security and building management, your Surveillance systems and Access Control can go where ever you go in the world, These powerful devices dont have a problem displaying Megapixel cameras and streaming

And no other phone can do exactly the same as the iphone can, and couldn't do it before the iphone came out?
Nismo

28th Jan 10 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:
quote:

And no other phone can do exactly the same as the iphone can, and couldn't do it before the iphone came out?

Well no, not as far as im aware there is no application support for the software we use. Maybe other phones could do it, But there software vendors have not created Apps for other platforms.
noshua

28th Jan 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It will sell into various markets

Students

I can't see them being a hit with students, sitting in a lecture with a touch-screen device in front of you, as I mentioned before, they're gonna be shit to type on, especially if you're not looking at them. A keyboard is a million times easier to type on, there's no way in hell you can type as quickly and efficiently on an 'iPad' as you can on a keyboard.

Completely agree with them being useful for people on the road, door-to-door sales men, etc.
Cosmo

28th Jan 10 at 14:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I think you'll find the keyboard a lot easier to use than you think, especially if you go by a lot of the reviews since the hands on yesterday.

Either way, you can get that mini keyboard thing that comes with it if you want to do a lot of typing.

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll