corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion
UGH
Banned

User status: Offline
2nd Nov 09 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you planning to put a kitchen in it for cooking? or just BBQ's outside?
x14xe ry

2nd Nov 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont know if they will be any use for you but dad uses a place called towsure for the caravan think theres a branch in shefffield n homebase might be cheap for the work tops we just got some for the houses were doing up 20 quid cheaper than b&q
DaveyLC

4th Nov 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome! going to make access to the cab from the rear? I suppose that would be impossible as the cab has to tip lol

Cool project though! that should be loads of fun!

Have you checked that you wont need an opperators license as that could make things VERY expensive and awkward

[Edited on 04-11-2009 by DaveyLC]
Leighton

4th Nov 09 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep we are making it a through cab, needs to be so that it can be changed to a motor home. The cab will still tip just needs to be bolted around the opening so i t can be disconnected.
License wise all you need is a C1 class for it, 7.5 tone.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I mailed VOSA about the O license last week after Dan mentioned it. No word back as yet. I had already read the conditions and my personal feelings are that it doesn't need one but I'll await their reply before worrying too much.

Cab will still tip, there are ways of doing it. Been to see a few horsebox companies and they all do pretty similar things with locking off the cab suspension and sealing and bolting the bridge between the two units. There's enough vehicles on the road that I'm happy that their techniques are fairly well-proven.
Graham88

4th Nov 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is awesome, can't wait for more progress pictures
DaveyLC

4th Nov 09 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I mailed VOSA about the O license last week after Dan mentioned it. No word back as yet. I had already read the conditions and my personal feelings are that it doesn't need one but I'll await their reply before worrying too much.

Cab will still tip, there are ways of doing it. Been to see a few horsebox companies and they all do pretty similar things with locking off the cab suspension and sealing and bolting the bridge between the two units. There's enough vehicles on the road that I'm happy that their techniques are fairly well-proven.

Have you thought about doing something similar to train carriges?

As for the Opperators license you really should find out before you put too much money into the project as it will drive you mental having to deal with that bullshit daily saftey checks, tacho, then vosa checks every few months.. Right royal pain in the arse!
Bonney

4th Nov 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a DAF 45 horsebox conversion on the farm where the missus has her horse. Will try and ask the owner for a few pics if you like. Pretty sure it has a cut through cab on it.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Have you thought about doing something similar to train carriges?
No, there's no flex, or at least it is engineered to remove as much as possible. Its just a frame on the cab and one on the box. It'll be modelled on the horsebox and racetruck ones that we've seen.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
As for the Opperators license you really should find out before you put too much money into the project as it will drive you mental having to deal with that bullshit daily saftey checks, tacho, then vosa checks every few months.. Right royal pain in the arse!
Bit late for that. It's going ahead anyway. If they say we need one then my next question will be what to change to ensure that we don't. Winnebagos don't need them and they're heavier. The only issue is the hospitality aspect which isn't a business venture on behalf of a club which is non-profit and doesn't pay wages either. One of three things will happen:

They'll agree with me that it doesn't need one.

They'll disagree with me and tell me to change things.

They'll disagree and tell me there's no negotiation and I'll need to get one. If this happens I'll have to look happy and do whatever is required.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Bonney66
Theres a DAF 45 horsebox conversion on the farm where the missus has her horse. Will try and ask the owner for a few pics if you like. Pretty sure it has a cut through cab on it.
That would be useful, thanks. We've been to see some but getting pics is difficult while you need to not look like you're only there to pinch ideas off them
ed

4th Nov 09 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We don't need an operators licence for our horse box.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder if that remains the case if your horse goes on to win a trophy when you take it somewhere.

They did suggest to me that winning a prize having gone to the track day in it would constitute reward.
ed

4th Nov 09 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's an interesting point. We've got a lot of them kept on the farm and none of them have them, they use them to go to competitions fairly often too.
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely it can't be the case. I can't imagine that anyone who takes an >3.5t support vehicle to rallies - which are actually competitive motorsport - has one.

It would also mean that if you took a Winnebago and won stand of the show, you would need one for that in order to then drive home.

If that were the case then someone needs to tell whoever took the Swift Kontiki GVW 3850kg to Combe to not try too hard on their club stand in case they break the law driving a domestic-spec motorhome which they're otherwise fully licensed for.

It may hinge on the taxation class, and this will be an M1 motorhome if we IVA it, but even this wouldn't include Winnebagos. 2007 Winnebago Vectra is 15.5t, which according to IVA documentation CANNOT be registered as a motorhome.

Therefore it must be HGV, and if you use it for business then you need O. Would be interested to see what Russ Swift / Terry Grant etc. are doing when they go to shows and perform, as they both have fat American RVs but are making more money than me!!
jr

4th Nov 09 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why they say not for hire or rewards in stickers on them isnt it, to get round that
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm happy to stick stickers on it, if that's all it takes. Absurd.
jr

4th Nov 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big thread on ph about it
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wouldn't mind a read of that, hook me up.
jr

4th Nov 09 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=761705&hw=+%2Bhire+%2Bor+%2Breward&nmt=Not%20For%20Hire%20or%20Reward?

this wasnt the one, but gives the idea
Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another bloody loophole, the total train needs to be less than 8250kg on my licence. Which it probably will be, or the Puma will be getting spaceframed.
jr

4th Nov 09 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ian
Site Administrator

4th Nov 09 at 22:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheaper than upgrading the licence tbh.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Nov 09 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays road trip:

Two 36" x 24" and two 19.5" x 11.5"

Four 113Ah

Three grey, one black

Habitation door is to follow. Wouldn't fit in the car
Leighton

7th Nov 09 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should not of taken the sides off the Van !!!
Looks good thoug ill head up after sailing tomorrow
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Nov 09 at 21:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I averaged 33mpg with nav. El wagono can't compete with that.

Plus I was happier having the windows inside with me!

Not sure if I'm up there tomorrow, or if I am its to strip the green Puma. No room in the garage so need good weather.

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion 23 database queries in 0.2841809 seconds