corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
18th Oct 09 at 18:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Collection day, first glimpse -

Step 1

Step 2

Reason we had to drive miles away - they weren't quite lined up here, just stopped in the services but this is a LONG 7.5t!!

[Edited on 18-10-2009 by Ian]
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 18:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whittie

18th Oct 09 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome stuff Mr Griffiths....

Looking forward to seeing it.
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Magic.
Tom G

18th Oct 09 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll be keeping a eye on this one
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 18:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Todays update, gave the cab a bit of a clean and had a look around the back of it and behind the seats to look in to doing the cut through. It'll be registered as a motorhome so it needs access from the driving position to the additional seats in the rear. Plus it opens up a bit more space if we can get a swivel seat in there or something. Not sure.

Also took some more measurements for the interior in order to do a proper mock-up. Feedback from the other model that we did was taken on board and having looked at the box now for real it's clear that there's plenty of space for the lounge without compromising on the living area.

Also may have already lined up a full size oven and hob for the kitchen so Ste is already happy

Next largest job is think about access from the hospitality area to outside. One of the reasons I don't like purpose built motorhomes is that the doors are very small and uninviting. Ideally I would like sliding patio-style doors on there but cost and weight is also an issue. Need to find something suitable and buy it before we start cutting.

andyc1234

18th Oct 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so long as its ready for pvs burgers its all good. Should have a cs sort the wagon day and all come and do a bit
andyc1234

18th Oct 09 at 18:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should make a list of exactly what you need and get people to donate kitchen cupboards and a fridge and stuff
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fridge is a difficult one because we need it to run on 12/240 and gas which domestic ones generally don't. But yeah, any parts that come up as donations are very welcome. We need everything.
Cole

18th Oct 09 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tHink the only problem you may have with patio style doors is the walls have very little structure to them easiest option maybe to have two sets of double doors maybe which would be a lot easier to cut out and make the Walls in those lorries are only around an inch thick maybe easier to have the patio doors behind some double doors And also the access from cab to the box itself could be a problem as the front bulkhead is what keeps the box itself rigid plus the cab would still need to be able to lift as that's the only access to engine and gearbox oh one hint make sure that it's in neutre. When you lift the cab as if not dafs have a habit of snapping the selecter casing on the top of the box happened to me 3 times it's a design fault apparantly
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 19:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we tilted to cab today by following the instructions in the book and it suggested neutral before moving it.

The cut-through will be based on some horse box and race truck ones which we've already scoped out. Best approach appears to be to switch the box around and start work from what was the aperture where the barn doors were, which already has runs of box section all around it. Gives a nice structure to weld to as well as being strong itself. Also gives us a plain sheet back-end and less work there.

Did you see the thing we had at Castle Combe? That has patio doors and I think is GRP the same as the wagon. Not sure how they go on for strength.

http://www.mobex.co.uk/hu51.html

Do you do that type or work or are you more just general refurb on regular commercial stuff?

Cole

18th Oct 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally do all the general refurb repairs on the lorries i have worked with similar lorries removing and replacing bulkheads walls etc have the company i work for dont do conversions like your thinking of doing but we have built a race truck for the paragon porsche racing team and mainly refrigerated vehicles but we do retro fit a lot of things like side doors flaps which consist of most of a side wall so you could have 1 flap that goes up and one that comes down hence making a platform stage patio have you checked how the box is mounted as some boxes of that type use horizontal beams which the floor is the screwed to then the box built around it you could remove the subframe with box attached but then you might find that the subframe will only fit one way round

thats the race truck we built
i did try to get a pic of the lorry we done for a market butcher which uses big flaps in the side wall but wont let me use the picture

you can see it here though

http://rvl.co.uk/products/bespoke/

DannyB
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 20:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This will definately be one to watch.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 20:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That should give you an idea of how the box attaches. Assuming the mounting straps can be moved, that should work either way around?
DannyB
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 20:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Let me loose with some Hammerite on that.
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 20:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Flash makes it look worse. Although you only need to name your availability and I'll take you up on that
DannyB
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 20:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything though, I'm a dab hand with a rattle can aswell Just underseal the whole thing
gavin18787
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 20:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 20:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cole
the lorry we done for a market butcher which uses big flaps in the side wall but wont let me use the picture

This one?

That is the type of thing if so except the lower portion needs steps leading in. I'm thinking about detachable aluminium ones that hook on.
Cole

18th Oct 09 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking at that the straps should be able to be moved but looking at that you can demount the body from the subframe leaving the straps where they are but if they are not there is an easy way round that you can just mount brackets to the subframe and the chassis these brackets can be purchased very easily. you are thinking of having storage underneath am i right so the side guard brackets will be removed anyway so thats no problem the thermo plastic wings are a legal requirement so will have to stay whatever just make sure you got 2 forklifts to remove the box one other thing does the subframe splay out behind the cab i dont think it does from memory thats the only other issue with swapping the whole lot round in my eyes
Cole

18th Oct 09 at 20:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes ian thats the one i am actually working on that lorry right now
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah we've got two forklifts, not sure how to place them though? Either side?

Not checked the chassis for splay. Even if it does it shouldn't make it impossible, just more difficult with perhaps a bit of fabrication?

What do you mean thermo plastic wings? The marker lights?

DannyB
Premium Member

18th Oct 09 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You get them at Stanley docks all the time.
Cole

18th Oct 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the mudflaps not the side markers although they are also leag requirement and the forklifts either side slighty offset to eachother as the rear will be heavier due to the doors etc its very easy to do remounting is another story but not to difficult with practice the splay is only there to stop the box from sliding forwards but being a dry freight box that wont happen anyway as its a beamed box
Ian
Site Administrator

18th Oct 09 at 21:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably going to remove the doors first. They won't be needed on the re-mount.

Mudflaps look to bolt to the box frame, shouldn't be too difficult to find where they sit on the re-mounted position and drill some new holes for them.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Project X - DAF LF 7.5t Hospitality/Camper conversion 24 database queries in 0.1029110 seconds