corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing.
M-IKE19

User status: Offline
11th Jan 10 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wot the benifit of the 2.2 air box or CDTI one? i have just got my cross over pipe powder coated
.dean.

11th Jan 10 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

instead of going over the engine ie crossover, it goes straight into the air box making at more direct and slight cooler air!
frostyD

11th Jan 10 at 20:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shorter route for air to flow, less heat soak ?, Slight more recirc noise.

Nothing big at all really, biggest benifit for me is it looks better .
M-IKE19

11th Jan 10 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dnt suppose any 1 has a pic of the set up or knows where i can see one?
.dean.

11th Jan 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cdti Box couldnt copy the pic
lil_g

14th Jan 10 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That looks proper tidy with a CDTi box!

You've definitely convinced me to buy a GSi
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by lil_g

When you looking to by one mate?
Any idea on what colour your going for?

My Arden Blue Astra GSi MK4 on BBS LM's Project Thread
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UPDATE 14/01/10

Not a major one, but MOT is booked for Saturday, month early but would like to get it out of the way, and if there is anything that needs doing then I have time to do it.
So results on Saturday...

Also purchased some new B pillar vinyl, when I looked at another Gsi before I bought this one I thought someone had stuck the cheap tacky carbon fibre copy stuff on, which looked awful and was pealing.
Turns out it comes as standard, and mines the same, tacky and pealing.
So bought a roll of vinyl from ebay, didn't go for carbon but went for matt black as it would suit better, so will get that fitted now and report back with some pictures

lil_g

14th Jan 10 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
quote:
Originally posted by lil_g

When you looking to by one mate?
Any idea on what colour your going for?

Going to look at one tonight, in black

Adam C
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good man Let us know how it goes

Pete_vxl

14th Jan 10 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

good luck with the mot. Mine failed on handbrake, it was sticking on the right rear brake, good clean fixed it though.
dale87

14th Jan 10 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm almost certain my gsi has no b pillar vinyl, is it only standard on arden blue gsi's?
.dean.

14th Jan 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mates black one has it?
Adam C
Premium Member

14th Jan 10 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine has it, and its a rite pain to get off, so I didn't bother and just put matt black over it

It should fly through MOT, All new Brakes last June, New Tyres last June, just serviced and new Exhaust System last July.
Fingers crossed either way, they will find something to fail it on

dale87

14th Jan 10 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ran outside and cleared some snow off to find and I have no vinyl.
M-IKE19

14th Jan 10 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my black GSi got the carbon fiber affect vinal on, drivers side ok but passengers crinkled
Dazzi-gsi

15th Jan 10 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be abit late but AET will do your turbo on exchange for £850 inc the vat. Its a fair bit of work and you really need to run the restrictor mod.

VXR turbos are OK at £500 ish but they are just as soft as the zlet ones tbh...

I run a complete z20leh vxr engine and 6 speed gearbox in my mk4 gsi turbo and ran 289bhp with the standard turbo but they are under afair bit at that power... i then went for the aet turbo and just in the market for a gt3071r and tubular to bolt to my freshly forged engine
Dazzi-gsi

15th Jan 10 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M-IKE19
my black GSi got the carbon fiber affect vinal on, drivers side ok but passengers crinkled

seems really common that, both my mk4 gsi turbo's done this.. look better with them removed imo
Adam C
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 11:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dazzi-gsi
Could be abit late but AET will do your turbo on exchange for £850 inc the vat. Its a fair bit of work and you really need to run the restrictor mod.

VXR turbos are OK at £500 ish but they are just as soft as the zlet ones tbh...

I run a complete z20leh vxr engine and 6 speed gearbox in my mk4 gsi turbo and ran 289bhp with the standard turbo but they are under afair bit at that power... i then went for the aet turbo and just in the market for a gt3071r and tubular to bolt to my freshly forged engine

Ideal thats good to know mate, I have heard of people running VXR turbo's as an upgrade on the Gsi's and still havingproblems, read a few cases on AON and AOC and even a few people on VXR Online, hence why I looked into it.
Its considering the power I want (more than 250bhp, no more than 300bhp) I don't want to pay out for a VXR turbo and have it go wrong, but then again ive also seen lots of people with VXR turbo's and have been fine.
Shep on here has mentioned about having VXR Turbo's and has gone through a few of them, I was thinking about paying out the big money and upgrading to a Garrett turbo, different manifold etc but thought it would abit overkill considering the power Im after can be achieved on a VXR turbo/Hybrid turbo.

Oh and just dropped it off at the MOT Station, results soon...

Adam C
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 13:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MOT passed, no advisories

Dazzi-gsi

16th Jan 10 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good news! TBH mate... if your only wanting 250-280bhp a new VXR turbo fitted correctly, primed before start up etc with a percy vxr restrictor mod will be perfect. The mod is a must tho at £20 or there abouts... If your after big power like me go Garrett or AET.

Although there is plenty ZLEH's running about with 320+bhp on vxr turbos with this mod and are going fine so far.
Robin
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 23:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Green Thing
Scratch the Hybrid idea, AET Turbo's don't list doing it for the Astra Gsi, and Turbo Technics don't list it either, but for the Unit on the C20LET they charge around £750, no idea where £200 came from
So VXR Unit would be the cheapest option.

Cheers Kev, had to spend on other things since getting the car, got some maintenance to attend to and can squeeze the wheel refurb in, but after February I should hopefully be able to put my money towards tuning and modifications

Sorry to drag an old post up but on the subject of the VXR turbo, according to one of the guys at Turbo Technics, it's exactly the same as the GSI one but with a stronger actuator, so it holds boost a little more.

It still suffers from the same bearing issue the standard one does which causes it to shit it's insides out.

They do a modification to stop it though, the best thing to do would be to buy a VXR one, send it to TT and get them to uprate the thrust bearing for longevity.
Adam C
Premium Member

16th Jan 10 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for the info dazza and robin, still very puzzled over the it as there is soo many different opinions on the answer its hard to know what to get.
If its only the actuators that are the same, would it not be better to send my k03 unit off to them and no buy a vxr unit.
Im sure Ive read it before, maybe even in this thread but I thought the VXR unit was slightly bigger and stronger?

At the minute Im more persuaded towards the VXR Unit and restrictor mod, but my turbo is running fine so nothing to rush into.

DannyB
Premium Member

17th Jan 10 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had the issue with the vinyl on the door pillars, I took mine off and sprayed them matt black. Looks exactly the same mow, much better though.
M-IKE19

17th Jan 10 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The vxr turbo is bigger and stronger than std z20let turbo, if the std and vxr ones were the same everyone would just buy a vxr actuator and fit that. plus why have different names (K03 and K04).

if the 3 biggest vauxhall tuning companies that sell the vxr turbo as a upgrade or part of a phase kit to get more power than the std turbo, there must be some thing in it, they wouldnt sell them and offer warrenty if they thought they would just break all the time.

im goin for 290/300bhp with vxr turbo and restrictor mod.

dazzie is goin for mega power and his car is a weapon thats why his got the fancy turbo etc , and its away getin mega work done, bigger pistons etc, it will b in a different leauge than me and many others just wantin abit more power than std.

[Edited on 17-01-2010 by M-IKE19]

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Arden MK4 Astra Gsi - Update 17/8 PG27 Cambelt, coolant leak fixing. 24 database queries in 0.0239449 seconds