corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
Nick-S

User status: Offline
15th Sep 08 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

noise noise noise
.dean.

15th Sep 08 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why strip a car out and but buckets in?
chrex

16th Sep 08 at 07:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by .dean.

...sorry??
.dean.

16th Sep 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont understand the point of stripping it out tbh?
BarnshaW

16th Sep 08 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by .dean.

chrex

16th Sep 08 at 22:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

because its mine...and i want to!
mattievRS

17th Sep 08 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

been watching this thread since you started and im really looking forward to you getting it finished.Cant wait for the tb noise!!
Adam-D

17th Sep 08 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

neither can i, then i can cut the roof of his old car
chrex

17th Sep 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont worry Ad, the time will come!...

hopefully in the next month
chrex

17th Sep 08 at 22:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wednesday 17th Sept

Just a quick update on what i got done on monday. (had trouble uploading photos)

I managed to find the header tank and kinda mount that up, as well as sort most of the pipes out.

Also managed to find a suitable place for the primary FPR. mounted down on a random thread. but its perfect. i have a secondary FPR on its way from tweeks atm, should be here by weekend. That means i can finish off the fueling and possibly start it up.

I also decided where to put the battery and my kill switch. The battery is going down behind the passenger seat, and the kill switch is going on the internal b-pillar where the seat belt was.

Have yet to be tidied up and properly finished, but am off this weekend so am hoping to sort it all then.

Slowly reaching the last problem to deal with...the exhaust.

Stoneyginger
Premium Member

17th Sep 08 at 22:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nice project, i have the bilstein suspension you have and find the front very bouncy and uncomfortable to drive so i will be changin i think soon. Let me know how you get on with the same setup.
chrex

17th Sep 08 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have yet to try the B8's...but i know the B12's are spot on...

as these are just shorter, am not expecting much difference
Stoneyginger
Premium Member

18th Sep 08 at 07:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had heavier poundage springs added to my ones and they still bounce though i think it may be down to the dampers being worn out, i'm changing them anyway but keep me informed once you have used them
PaulW

18th Sep 08 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

chris, have you replaced that header tank cap yet??
Adam-D

18th Sep 08 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think i gave him a spare, if not, i have another and we have the one on his 1.4 16v
chrex

18th Sep 08 at 22:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye... adam has got more than vauxhall have. plus i robbed one from the scrappy when i last went
chrex

19th Sep 08 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friday 19th Sept

Well i spent an hour putting the fueling together this evening. 2 fuel regulators and a filter (thanks to Marc) all had to be put in there before the carbs...the joy.

Once i'd done this i put a battery on it to check if the fuel pump would work. It didnt. I am gonna have to connect the plug linking the fuel pump wiring to the car loom. its down where the ECU used to be and it is gonna be a pain! But, i have a whole day. may also get the engine turned over too...could get exciting if i get a few things sorted. Good news is, all the other electrics worked

No pics i'm afraid as my phone had run out of power...

chrex

20th Sep 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 20th September

Well, i had a fun-packed day today! Moved the car from its parking place out into the sun and got to work on it...

My main objective for the day was to sort through the wiring and find the fuel pump switch live. This would then allow me to get some fuel though the system and make sure its all good. So after about 20 minutes of faffing, i managed to find it, and just poked it onto a live connection. It wirred. It worked. And then the regulator pissed fuel out... i have no idea why or where from, but there was fuel dripping off it. i double checked the hose clips (taking half my nail off in the process) and tightened the unions up as best i could. It is sat behind a filter king 5psi regulator so its not like its overloaded, but it just kept pissing.

Unable to find a solution i decided to give that one a break and so got to work on the alternator bracket. In all my genious, i came up with a solution that seems to have worked perfectly! It fits like it was meant to be.

Following this i decided to prep the engine for the start. Found a temporary top hose and decided to try the starter motor, with no ignition plugged in. It clicked a couple of times and then there was nothing. The battery is fine so am putting it down the starter being a bastard. so, i'll be taking it off 2moz and checking it over.

Sorry there's no photos, i just forgot to take them, but will get some tomorrow!

until then...

[Edited on 20-09-2008 by chrex]
chrex

24th Sep 08 at 21:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a very quick update. this afternoon, following some faffing about, the engine turned over for the first time. A majorly exciting event, which unfortunately could not be capped with a start because there appeared to be no spark.

This was a kick in the arse to us but we think the problem lies in the ignition coil wiring. Could be a pain but i have asked for advice on relevant websites and should have it sorted soon. Need to buy a new starter motor too as the one on it is hoofed! Oh...and i've found a local place to do the exhaust cheap too..yey!

Still quite a few little bits to do though, and not much money to spend next month...so will have to see. Ah well...at least i know the engine isnt siezed...

Thanks Adam-D for all your help again today...oh and Lou for assisting in the jump-start!

getting close...

[Edited on 24-09-2008 by chrex]
chrex

1st Oct 08 at 08:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another quick update on the progress...

i have got a new starter and the engine now turns over freely. Unfortunately there is still no spark.

I'm a bit baffled but i think it is the coil. There is a 12v going into the coil, but there is nothing coming out. The ballast is getting its sources so that appears ok...but there is just nothing going thru to the spark plugs!...

I have ordered a mk1 astra haynes off ebay to see what's what with the wiring, so once that is found...i'm sorted. then its just one more pip and it can be filled with coolant too.

I am agonisingly close but this is just another problem set there to slow it all down.

Wupde doo!
adz_gsi

1st Oct 08 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WHAT DO THE R1 CARBS SOUND LIKE >??????????
PaulW

1st Oct 08 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by adz_gsi
WHAT DO THE R1 CARBS SOUND LIKE >??????????

at the moment...

[insert silence here]

it 'might' be due to the fact he said the engine doesn't actually run yet... just a guess...
mattievRS

1st Oct 08 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
Another quick update on the progress...

i have got a new starter and the engine now turns over freely. Unfortunately there is still no spark.

I'm a bit baffled but i think it is the coil. There is a 12v going into the coil, but there is nothing coming out. The ballast is getting its sources so that appears ok...but there is just nothing going thru to the spark plugs!...

I have ordered a mk1 astra haynes off ebay to see what's what with the wiring, so once that is found...i'm sorted. then its just one more pip and it can be filled with coolant too.

I am agonisingly close but this is just another problem set there to slow it all down.

Wupde doo!

is the coil earthed properly? Have you tried new leads?

Hope you get it sorted though mate!
chrex

1st Oct 08 at 21:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep...thanks paul.
chrex

1st Oct 08 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the coil earths thru the dizzy, and all the connections appear to be okay!...

The leads, cap, rotor arm and plugs are all new...didnt think i'd leave old stuff in there did you?

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.1281269 seconds