corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
12th Aug 08 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuesday 12th August

Well, today the engine bay recieved what i think is the centre piece...the R1 carbs and inlet!

Looks class. I thought webbers looked good, but i have to say i think this looks better

Not much room to play with in terms of the air filters i have to find...but im sure there's some out there...

These pictures give you an idea of how much room i have to play with between the carbs and the bulkhead...

So...just the fuelling and then various vacuums to sort out now. Oh and the throttle and choke cables.

Then its sorting all the engine ignition system and it should be running.

Once i know it runs, its off to tweeks for the custom decat and the rolling road for setup. I reckon next month!

Until next time!
John G

12th Aug 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Honk honk! Love it. Cant wait to hear this turn over, specially with the ashely on it.
chrex

13th Aug 08 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well im hoping that i can have all the hoses and fuelling sorted by the end of month, then it's pretty much ready to go!

I cannot wait....so close now.
chrex

21st Aug 08 at 22:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thursday 21st August

Well, just a quick update to post up some pictures of the exhaust that arrived today.

Sold the scorpion recently and managed to buy this 2 box Ashley competition system...sorry the pictures are crap, phone was having a bad photo day.

I offered it up to the car just to get a rough idea of how it looks and i am loving the completely subtle look. Small but effective

Am pff for 4 days from Saturday, so i am gonna get as much done as possible without spending any money...

for now...
chrex

22nd Aug 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Friday 22nd August

Another quick update before major work starts tomorrow.

My vernier arrived today, am mega pleased. So that can go on tomorrow, get some blue sealant on the water pump and properly tighten the timing belt up

Happy days!

[Edited on 22-08-2008 by chrex]
Anton C20XE

22nd Aug 08 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good m8, r1 carbs look ace keep up the good work!
marklawton

23rd Aug 08 at 06:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looking good chris, will have to catch again soon mate
chrex

23rd Aug 08 at 07:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea! well when are you moving into your new place?...i'll pop round and cya!
chrex

23rd Aug 08 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 23rd August

Well today was the first of 4 days off. I knew i had a list of things i had to do, so i managed to get goin on them early...

First was to bolt and torque up the exhaust manifold. Having been told by various reliable sources that it would not blow, i torqued the 2 surrounding bolts up just that little bit more to get that extra purchase and i wont now know until that 1st start.

Also needed some angle grinding to cut the mount off the flange end. Apparently used for when its mounted into its original Astra GTE purpose.

Next was the newly aquired vernier pulley. I took this opportunity to take the water pump off and apply some universal blue sealant. just to aid in the sealant to the block. There was suprisingly no hitches thoughout and its all good to go

And then the last job on the list was to take the headlights out and treat any rust. There was a small speck around the headlight clip...but not much at all. Easily tidied up with etch primer and some stonechip

That was it really. I also pulled the carbs back off as i have to drill out the jets to 1.8mm on the pillar drill at home. Oh and i struggled with the CV boot clip (that's still loose). I think that CV's the bane of this project!...I bloody hate them now.

Cant really do much more until i get some money...but i will put any updates on if any work gets done.

Happy days!
Adam-D

24th Aug 08 at 06:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did tell you cv's are a bit gay
chrex

24th Aug 08 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep...i know
Nick-S

25th Aug 08 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i realy want to hear this. car
chrex

25th Aug 08 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, well i will be taking it to the NW meets so if you go then you'll see it at them
chrex

30th Aug 08 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 30th August

Well, following payday i have made a few interesting purcheses for the car. And the ones that mean it is very, very close to completion. Basicly its a full service loadout...

Oil and fuel filters...

Halfords oil filter is for the 1st 100 miles, then it will have GM ones from then on.

Got a full ignition replacement...

A thermostat...

Then there was the 4 exhaust rubbers and a clamp, so asi could hang the exhaust on the car ready for its trip to tweeks so they can seal it...

And the tailpipe on the car (better pics will be had 2moz, it was goin dark when i took this one)

I also managed to find some hoses for various places, mainly at the back. just two short now. Top hose and the hose from back of thermostat (by alternator) to the heater matrix.

And then finally when i was happy with everythin i put the EP80/90 in the gearbox.

And it has then decided to leak. i think its from where the shaft goes into the box. However, it appears to be coming from around the shaft...so my fears are a knackered seal there...another ball ache.

Stupid little things are nagging at me with everything i do...every step. its really starting to piss me off!!

Am off monday so i'm gonna try and sort it then after i've been to tweeks.

Until next time...thanks for reading!

[Edited on 30-08-2008 by chrex]
chrex

1st Sep 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monday 1st Sept

Well, i have a quick update for today. Took a trip to tweeks for some bits, 2 of which didnt fit...and so they will be goin bk at some point.
Bits were thread to 'push on' fuel line adaptors, and 2 harness eyelets for the transmission tunnel.

I also got the ignition coil and bolted it to the battery tray. Seems i will be keeping the tray as a 'table' for bits like that and the fuel regulator, until i can get holed tapped elsewhere anyways!

Leak in gearbox is defo from the driveshaft seals...so will order two motorsport ones off the bay and replace them.

Thats all really. Jets for carbs will be here tomorrow i hope and i have also hopefully found some air filters to use.

So only major problem is the gearbox. Should be running soon tbh!

chrex

7th Sep 08 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunday 7th September

Well after being at the New Brighton Rally stages yesterday, i had a real nag to want my car finished. So i decided to get on with the jobs. Sorry there's no pics, i left my phone in the car and just did the job!

I had a dodgy driveshaft seal to replace, so...eventually, after alot of swearing and smacking, that came out. I also managed to pull a CV apart whilst trying to pull it out from the box. Joy!

So after re-building that, i managed to get it all fixed up and back together.

Also got the oil filter changed whilst i was under there. So i'm hpoing that theres not much left to do.

Just some coolant hoses (two left) to find and i can get it all hose clipped up, header tank on and filled up. Fuelling is also a job that wont take long but needs sorting. Need to work out how the Fuel Regulator works and set it to the correct pressure. Oh and also find a bracket for the alternator.

So just the little tacky jobs left to sort now. but i will have them done asap!

for now
little_duke

7th Sep 08 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is gonna be
sam13

8th Sep 08 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant wait to see this baby in action gona be ace, bring on the 8V!
chrex

9th Sep 08 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hope its not a disappointment to you all in the end...

am trying to get it sorted...just waiting on finding a top hose and thermostat housing to heater pipe. oh and getting the fuel regulator in as well...then i want it to run.
chrex

12th Sep 08 at 22:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well my air filters arrived today. will be fitting them 2moz, and i didnt get any pics i'm afraid, so here's one from K&N for now...

They're basicly 4 little cones, should do the job brilliantly!

Also have decided to get a second fuel regulator so as i know what pressure its at, rather than guessing!

Photos tomorrow night of filters and 1st fuel reg i hope!

[Edited on 12-09-2008 by chrex]
BarnshaW

12th Sep 08 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks spot on matey, something different from the rest
chrex

14th Sep 08 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunday 14th September

Well, the air filters came on friday and on Saturday night i got a few things done.

First job was obviously to put the new filters on. I have angled them slightly to allow for extra clearance on bulkhead. But i think they look great!!

As you can see from those pictures, the throttle cable is now also attached to the carbs, but the pedal end needs the bulkhead plug and then to be attached to the pedal.

Whilst i was putting the filters on, adam was running the battery wire into the car. I have decided to put the battery behind the passenger seat. Is low and pretty central so it wont upset the car's distribution.

Should be getting quite a bit done tomorrow, so should have a good update!

marklawton

14th Sep 08 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting there mate. wil have to pop round and have another look soon
chrex

14th Sep 08 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...well, some good news, i have found a pipe on e-bay that is a conversion de-cat...and its about £50!

am majorly happy as it means i can now seal the exhaust in-situ and then when its done...drive straight to the rolling road to get set-up!...no trailers to tweeks. really happy.

it'll be done b4 you know it mark...but yea...pop round and have a look if you want! working on it 2moz from midday.
GT190

15th Sep 08 at 12:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

looks like a good project thread so far, will keep an eye on progress

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.1099279 seconds