corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
John G

User status: Offline
12th May 08 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by marklawton
not bad mate. better you than me in that heat, i worked on mine yesterday and got sunburnt, lol

You not really the best in the sun though are you mark

Looking good mate, im gonna get mine up in the air and underseal it over the weekend i think, maybe a friday night job in the garage with a few beers and the radio
marklawton

12th May 08 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
quote:
not bad mate. better you than me in that heat, i worked on mine yesterday and got sunburnt, lol

You not really the best in the sun though are you mark

Looking good mate, im gonna get mine up in the air and underseal it over the weekend i think, maybe a friday night job in the garage with a few beers and the radio

yeah i no, me mum said that to me. i never learn, got to make the most out of the sun while its here though lol
chrex

13th May 08 at 06:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
you can store them in my garage lol
going to redo mine this weekend i think

I may need to take you up on that offer! Even just for a week whilst i get some stuff moved about at mine to find room. Got 4 sets of wheels now!
Cheese Man Chris

13th May 08 at 15:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good pall, will be watching the progress.

I dont understand why you got another engine after you were rebuilding the original one. Are you using the uprated parts for your rebuild?

chrex

13th May 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, it was gonna cost about £250 to rebuild it standard! The £250 for cam kit and all the uprated parts took it into a £600 rebuild.

orr....buy an ex-works rally engine, thats had it all done already for £300 and chuck it straight in!...it was a slight no-brainer to me tbh.
chrex

17th May 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 17th May

Another day off, and this time it decided to throwit down! But i decided not to let it put me off...and i powered on through.

Job list for today was the braided hoses, and the steering rack...but my first outing of the day was a tyre place, to get the tyres off my 'new' set of wheels...some Cesarios.

These wheels have been a menace in finding a set...but i have finally come across some. They need some work...one needs quite a bit of work, but i got them for £45 and im not gonna complain! Couple of days and it'll be fine. Intended use is trackdays, so they dont need to be anything special for now.

Close up of damage on this one wheel...

...So eventually they will get cleaned up, but for today there was jobs to be done.

I did get the braided brake line on the right rear first thing, so thats all them cleared up and secure, although it was being a swine for the most part!

Main job for the day was the new steering rack...

I was removing the old steering power steering rack, and replacing with a new non-power rack. I'll probably get loads of people saying 'whats the point??'...but i have my reasons, and it will become apparent. But to cut it short...i dont need PAS and its more hassle than its worth!

So after a 60 minute fight with a tie-rpd, i popped it off and got the new rack all bolted up and working. As it was chucking it down and i was kinda angry with it, i didnt get many 'during' pictures im afraid...but you get the idea of what i had to do i'm sure!

Before :

After :

Old PAS rack is for sale, along with the required pipes and pump...if anyone wants it...£50 for the whole set-up.

Thats all for now folks. Busy day, got all the jobs done. BTCC tomorrow so not gonna get anything done with the car, there isnt much to do now...just get the new bolts on and the engine in.

Thanks for readin'!
dan-sport

17th May 08 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you finally found some cesaros then haha, can't wait till its finished will look mint
Corsa_Scotty

17th May 08 at 22:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Taking good shape mate Will look smart with the Cesaro's on
chrex

17th May 08 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by caribic_dan
you finally found some cesaros then haha, can't wait till its finished will look mint

Yep! Like bloody goldust these things. I'm still looking for a second set. One in better nick so i got some that i can have for winter road use...but i think once these are tidied they'll be okay!
chrex

31st May 08 at 22:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 31st May

Well, i know i've been quiet on the update front the last couple of weeks, but i havent had anything i've been able to do. No money, no work...

However, i decided to have a go at making a start on gettin the cesarios tidied up. They all needed some TLC, and one of them, as you can see in the pics above, really needed help. So, i started with that one today.

I firstly gave them all a jet wash. This got all the dirt off them and pulled any cracked or loose paint away from the faces.

Then the heavily curbed wheel was put on the table for some filing and sanding to smooth out the edge and get the surface coat off it for filling and the re-spray.

I tried my best to try and convey through the photos how smooth it now is. Only the top face of the lip is slightly rough, with the outer and inner edges both smoothed off. Will finish it up tomorrow with some filler, and then sand it smooth so it looks flat and like new.

Cant wait to have it all filled and smoothed off...

Until tomorrow! ...
chrex

1st Jun 08 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunday 1st June

Well, in continuation of the work done yesterday, i was out in the shed at half 8 working on the cesarios.

I just had the first wheel to finish off and fill (as best i could - never done before) the damaged wheel. All went well and i was quicks setting that wheel to one side to work on the next...

Next wheel was a bit easier, although this did have a lot of corrosion on one side, and took a bit of work to smooth out and make sure it was all clear...i got there in the end and its all ready for the first coat of filler primer.

Smoothed off...

The third wheel was again straight forward...just the brake dust that was baked into the laquer and didnt come off with the power washer. This came off after some heavy sanding though and now its all shiney clean!

Just the final wheel to prep now, then i gotta go back and sand the filler down on the first wheel, and then its all good for applying the filler primer and paint primer. Time isn't an issue...so no need to rush them and do a bad job!

Can't go to PVS, else i may have got tyres and put em on the 1.4 for the trip. As it is, no need...tuesday i gotta prep that car for its MOT, next update as soon as more work on these gets done!

For now...
chrex

15th Jun 08 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunday 15th June

Well i have a big update, internet at home been offline so i havent been able to keep the posts goin.

Anyways, i have got loads done through the week, mostly on the wheels, in fact...they're finished! And look great may i add...

Finished rubbing them down, moved them to adam-d's tuesday and began spraying them up. Was going to go with a grey metallic colour...but was swayed into doing them in white...and i'm definitely pleased i did!

So...they got filler primered first, and then the base coat of white primer went on. The weather was brilliant, and the primer set in about 15 minutes...then the second layer went on. Had no problems at all...no reactions or anything!

And then on went the paint...

Am really pleased with them...and i was meant to be goin away over weekend, but ended up not goin so had some time and now they're on my daily driver, because i just couldnt resist tyres on them are 195/50 Paradas.

And as i have no money left, i havent done anything more to the GSi...had to concentrate on gettin the 1.4 through the MOT this month...plus insurance too.

Let me know opinions on wheels...

Until next time...

[Edited on 15-06-2008 by chrex]
John G

15th Jun 08 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels really suit the carabic blue mate, looks liek you have done a spot on job,

ps. like how the missus is tryna hide
chrex

15th Jun 08 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John G
Wheels really suit the carabic blue mate, looks liek you have done a spot on job,

ps. like how the missus is tryna hide

Thanks m8!

Yea i know, think she was txtin tbh!...

Am real pleased with how they've turned out. Not perfect but unless ur up close, you cant see the imperfections. Basicly from old corrosion and wheel damage i couldnt repair fully...
chrex

1st Jul 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuesday 1st July

Wahoo!! Finally got some massive news for the project! This arrived today...

Chris Astley Motorsport mount kit for the 2.0 8v

And not only that, i am also awaiting this...

A Black Diamond clutch kit, seem to have got it as an absolute bargain!

So, i can get the engine in whilst on holiday next week! ...Am really made up and this is some serious progress!

So hopefully, theres gonna be some big updates next week!

Until then...
lees_corsa

1st Jul 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheels look perfect
chrex

1st Jul 08 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers pal...i did notice yours the other day, and has given me an idea of how good they'll look on the car!

Just really want it done now tho!
chrex

5th Jul 08 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Clutch arrived yesterday, so i should be able to have the engine in at some point either this week or early next week. Need to make sure i've prepped it properly...no need to rush it and get things wrong!

[Edited on 05-07-2008 by chrex]
chrex

9th Jul 08 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wed 9th July

Well in the last few days i have made some progress...mainly on little things. I put all new bolts on the suspension and brakes, and have put the offside mounts onto the engine and car.

Gearbox has been cleaned up and prepped for the new clutch, but i am waiting on Vaux to get me some new flywheel and clutch bolts...so cant do anything until they arrive. Also i need to grind a small portion of the rear mount off to get the Astley spacers to fit properly... :meh:

I got the old water pump out off the engine too, as it looked rusty and like it had been stood (which it had). Now all cleaned up inside and ready for the new one, which i have, as well as a timing belt...but another problem i've come across is that there's no plastic cover, i there's no timing marks to relate to. I am therefore gonna have to take the pulleys off and re-fit the plastic. A bugger of a job in my opinion...

Ah well! Sorry theres no photos, i keep forgetting to get some. I will have some eventually...and will pop them up when i can!

chrex

11th Jul 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right...i have all the parts needed now. List of jobs for the weekend:

1 - Water Pump in and time engine back up.
2 - Mount Flywheel and Clutch onto engine.
3 - Grind bits off rear mount to get it to fit onto fitting kit.
4 - Put Mount onto box
5 - Box onto Engine
6 - Engine into car!!

Is pretty much a day's work but i'll be doing some Sat and some Sunday.
chrex

14th Jul 08 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monday 14th July

Well, this is possibly one of the biggest update of the whole project...i've taken pics over the last few days but havent been able to put them on...so here they are!

I replaced the water pump and timed up the engine on sunday afternoon. As the engine came with no cam belt cover on it...i had to put one off the spare engine onto it. Meant taking pulleys off, but was worth it in the end as it was easily timed up!

And all timed up!...

And the final job for the day was to put the clutch on, and then mount up the gearbox!

That was all for sunday...so when Monday morning began, there were big hopes and plans for the day!

First off was the grinding of the engine mount so the gearbox spacers would fit on...and once it was cut, i sprayed on a coat of stonechip to protect it.

And then onto the box it went...perfect fit!

Then it was all ready to be put into the car!...so i took a final 'empty engine bay' photo....removed the driveshafts...

And then in it goes!! A very happy moment, although it was a bit of a fight to get it all to squeze throught the bottom...we got there in the end!

And the finished article!...

And then it was time for a rest, some snacks and a brew

Hoping to have both these cars on the road as soon as possible...and also get the horrible wheels off the GSi. Only there due to me selling the GSi alloys and not having enough locking nuts to put the Pro Race 1.2's on it

Well it was a cracking day...got a major piece of progress done, and although i encountered a glitch with the driveshafts/CV's, was all good!

Now got to buy some CV's from Chris Astley, order the carb inlet from Bogg Brothers, and get the exhaust manifold. Also got to sort out an ignition loom and get the starter and alternator on it...

Hopefully have it running at the end of next month!

Again...for now!...thanks for reading!

P.S. any donations of parts needed will be gratefully accepted
dan-sport

14th Jul 08 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice update

love these engines their bomb proof, this thread makes me want my seh sri back
chrex

15th Jul 08 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed...i sure hope it is!

TBH, its the gearbox i'm worried about!
little_duke

15th Jul 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like that alot.love carabic blue.great colour
mattfiesta

15th Jul 08 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex

gotta love the halfords tool kit, im sure every man and his dogs got one now

[Edited on 15-07-2008 by mattfiesta]

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.2015929 seconds