corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap
chrex

User status: Offline
16th Jul 08 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wednesday 16th July

Well i've done a couple of little jobs last night and this morn!

Firstly i put the South African rears on yesterday...and such a big improvement! They really do change the look of the car!

Then this morning, i took the rocker cover off and poured some 10W/40 over the engine end to end, just to make sure the entire area of the engine was oiled, not just the left hand side.

After i'd done that i turned it all over by hand using the cam pulley. Appeared to be fine with no apparent problems with timing and it seemed to turn smoothly...all ready for its 1st start!

I've also ordered my inlet from bogg brothers, should be ready for when i get paid.

Happy Days!

Vaux Lad

16th Jul 08 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Before you start it 1st time turn it over on the starter with no fuel/spark to get oil pumping through the galleries etc
chrex

16th Jul 08 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea i will do...just get everything circulating and into the relevant places.

Indeed, thanks for the tip!
chrex

17th Jul 08 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thurday 17th July

Quick update...

Managed to go and pick up some 22 spline shafts today, and will be visiting motorfactors to try and find some 1600 Mk2 cav inner cv's tomorrow. Try and save some money on the £57 each that Astley have quoted me!

Slowly gettin the little problems sorted. Have decided that a future mod is defo motorsport 2.0 hubs and shafts tho! (too expensive at the moment)

Thats it for now!

Olsrey

18th Jul 08 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I paid £25 for each CV
chrex

20th Jul 08 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where from? thats a good price!...

cant seem to find one for less than £40!
Olsrey

21st Jul 08 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chrex
Where from? thats a good price!...

cant seem to find one for less than £40!
I got them from a freind in the trade. No-longer a friend now though
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

21st Jul 08 at 10:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

make sure you measure the crank /pistons and bores properly before ordering the rings and bearings. also, dont forget to have the bores finished before fitting the new rings.
chrex

21st Jul 08 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm not rebuilding anymore!...bought one wit all the work done already! Got that about March time!
chrex

21st Jul 08 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monday 21st July

Well i've managed to sort a few problems over the last couple of days.

Managed to find a few hoses that will cover most of the coolant system (thanks to Adam-D's hose box! ). So thats a big help.

Also sorted the driveshaft problems, and i now have 2 sets of 22 spline shafts as the originals i had turned out to be such items!...bit miffed tbh!

And i got one of these to make sure it's the right one...

Mk2 Cav 2.0 inner. Fits fine and dandy...which im pleased about as it was £20 less than Astley. Saving me about £50! WooHoo!! Am getting the other one when i get paid.

Only other job done was taking all the exhaust/inlet manifold bolts off...

Thats all for now!

chrex

29th Jul 08 at 00:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monday 18th July

Well, with a huge list of purchases lined up for when i get paid...i await my money with baited breath, however...i havent got it yet!

So i decided to keep busy with little things!

So...Saturday, with my dad nagging and me being really fed up of the GSi looking sorry for itself on crap wheels...i decided to put the Pro Race 1.2's on it!

Bit peeved at how small the brakes look. They look great behind cesarios, but these wheels will have room for V6 pieces, so the 2.0 setup looks a bit mini...ah well.

Next update will be pictures of money thats been spent!

chrex

31st Jul 08 at 21:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thursday 31st July

Well, the payday has arrived and as suspected i have spent LOTS of money in a day.

I have:

- Ordered M-Tech 2.0 conversion short shift from LMF.
- Bought a second inner CV joint and two ball joints from the motorfactors.
- Paid a gent for a vacuum advance distributor off a 18e.
- Bought a Janspeed 4-2-1 Manifold from someone i knew. Reputed as one of the best manifolds for this engine...i have saved quite a bit of money!
- My inlet will be finished tomorrow and ready for payment and delivery on Monday.

It is most definitely all coming together. Pictures are to follow as i didnt get the opportunity tonight.

Weekend is gonna be spent sorting everything out and hopefully putting some polybushes on the rear beam.

Until then...thanks for looking!

John G

31st Jul 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds good matey, u and adam on blasted 50 profiles though

What inlet are you having made up?
chrex

31st Jul 08 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea...well they are the best profile to have! And the only one that paradas come in...

Bogg brothers inlet!...they makin a custom one for the carbs. £200.
chrex

3rd Aug 08 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 2nd August

Well, having spent a load of money in the last 2 days...i was ready to get a few jobs done to prepare for the final big month.

I set out on the day to get the poly bushes into the rear beam. Wasnt sure on this job...how long it would take etc, so i just blasted straight in.

These were what the job was all about. Poly bushes i bought from mark lawton a couple of months ago.

So, up on axle stands she went...

And here is a picture of the original bush...well and truly set in its place!

So, off came the bolt, and the damper support bolts. Had to have the jack underneath so the beam wasnt hangin off the brake lines, and then i just jacked up the opposite side and the near bush dropped down.

I was now stomping through the job...but knew this was the easy part, and i soon hit a snag. Getting the actual bush out...oh my, what a bugger!
I was chopping, sawing, twisting and pushing the bugger and there was nothing.

So, in the end Adam told me to set fire to it...which i duly did!

...and it seems this is the way to get these out! After holding a blow torch to it for a few mins, the metal centre came out nicely with some mole grips. It's then just a case of getting a screwdriver in there to pull the rubber out.

Quick comparison pic

Next, i just had to get the bush seat cleaned and ready for the poly. So i filed it out and copper greased it right through...

Then it was just a case of push the poly in, and then the metal rod through the middle...before using the jack to push it back up into place and bolting it back through with the new bolts.

And all bolted up and waxoyled over (sorry about the crap photo).

Whilst i had my head up in there, i noticed how much crap was in the arches, so out came the wire brush and waxoyl. Gave it a thorough scrubbing and then a good coat of the sealant. Yummy!

So, with that job done...the only other one on my list for the day was the ball joints and drive shafts. This was an extremely messy job so no 'in progress' photos im afraid.

Basicly entailed me getting CV grease everywhere and popping the whole set-up into the car. We managed to get there in the end!

So that was it done for the day...and with everything sorted, i got a quick photo of how it now sits. In my opinion...50mm - just right.

So...for now, thanks for reading!

chrex

3rd Aug 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sunday 3rd August

Well, with the success of yesterday, i went into today with a positive attitude and ready to hit the jobs hard...

What needed doing was something that has always made me cringe...getting a sheared bolt out the block. It was an exhaust stud, but it had snapped in the block and needed extracting. So once i had the required drill bits i cracked on.

Drilling a neat hole in the stud ready for the extractor. Except it wasnt deep enough and this left the tip of the extractor in the hole...great!!

So, having found some better drill bits, we drilled the extractor out, and got another extractor set to have a go with. However, there was still no luck, and after drilling out almost the entire size of the stud, in went the tap.

It was an attempt to put a thread onto the little bit of stud left within the block, and hope it collapsed on itself. However, with only a tiny bit left to go, the bloody tap snapped deep inside the thread hole.

Profuse swearing followed and it was given up on.

I have no idea what to do now as that is hardened steel and i cant get it out. If anyone has any idea what i should do, then please...help would be appreciated. Dont wanna have to take it somewhere really. And i think i need it to seal the manifold properly.

I have no idea what to do...

Other than that all i did was put some waxoyl underneath in various bits, but only as a wind-down exercise...

Gear linkage and Vernier should be arriving tomorrow, so that will be a bit more positive progress.

I also have a vacuum advance dizzy that arrived yesterday so that can be secured on.

Until next time...
jungle

5th Aug 08 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shoud've welded a bolt onto the old one and air gunned it out??
chrex

5th Aug 08 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tuesday 5th August

Well, a big day today...i finally had the package that i've been waiting to get since i got my engine. The inlet manifold for the R1 carbs. Looks great and am real pleased with it.

And then once i got home i put the carbs on it to see how it all looked...

Gear linkage is also now built up and sat on the car...but am waiting on the bushes before i put it all together proper.

Happy days! ... although i now have no money!

RCS

5th Aug 08 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you use any lubricant on the tap?
chrex

7th Aug 08 at 08:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RCS
Did you use any lubricant on the tap?

Oh yea! Was swimming in 3in1 high performance lubricant!...
marklawton

7th Aug 08 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

getting there chris, how long till its out on the road?
sport16v

7th Aug 08 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tried knocking the tap round with a punch? I know it sounds unlikely but could eventually free it
chrex

7th Aug 08 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by marklawton
getting there chris, how long till its out on the road?

Well if all goes to plan it should be together by end of month. Then i just need a custom de-cat and to have it setup!...
So enda next month im hoping to be driving it
chrex

9th Aug 08 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Saturday 9th August

Quick update...parts really.

Had a replacement diff cover plate for the gearbox arrive, and also the 2 LMF nylon bushes have arrived. So now i can sort out all the gears and put oil into the box. Have got exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets too.

Sold the scorpion today also, and have bought myself an Ashley 2 box competition system (black tailpipe). A completely no-frills exhaust that just makes lots of raw noise and will really follow the 'purposeful' theme of the car.

I have also ordered a fuel pressure regulator off ebay and some 3mm wheel spacers to put behind the rear wheels, just to give it some track and a more agressive stance!

I think thats all for now...will get photos of exhaust up once i've got it...

[Edited on 09-08-2008 by chrex]
James_H

9th Aug 08 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good!

Cant wait to hear the carbs!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » R1 fuelled XE GSi project - Pending Swap 23 database queries in 0.0693281 seconds