corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x16xe tuning ideas... need more power!

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x16xe tuning ideas... need more power!
Stokie Dave

User status: Offline
9th Mar 07 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, got a 1.6 T plate Corsa Sport.. largely standard engine wise - just a drilled (on wing side) and de-restricted airbox, K&N panel filter, powerflow catback centre section and some cheap aftermarket backbox dunno what make lol.

Now I am gonna budget around 5-600 quid on it. I live local to a guy who makes clones of mantzel inlet systems, a few local boys have them and I have to say, I am impressed and they do work well... think a couple of guys on here have them also: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/corsa-tigra-kitcar-vauxhall-performance-inlet-manifold_W0QQitemZ260080132720QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10404QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

So I am thinking...

Mantzel copy inlet manifold
4 branch exhaust manifold
remapped ECU
maybe a decat

Re: the exhaust... what exhaust manifolds are good for these engines? 4 to 1? or a 4-2-1? I dont know a great deal about them.

Will I benefit from decatting or should I leave it on for sakes of MOT? I aint no mechanic so I'd be paying someone else to do all this work for me... if its literally like 1 or 2BHP difference I may aswell leave it on right?

The exhaust system I have on (centre box at least) is very good and I do want to keep it, maybe swapping for a better backbox later down the line but it's fine for now.

Opinions? Ideas? What kinda power would I be looking at with the above mods? 140BHP would be ideal, I wanna beat the odd VTS lol.
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You've got the right idea. The inlet is shit as standard, so bin that for a Mantzel. A 4-1 monifold will give you an increase in top end of revs, a 4-2-1 will give a pretty even spread. I went for a 4-2-1 to make up for the power lacking in the middle because of the Mantzel. I put a de-cat on mine, it went a hell of a lot better in the top of the revs. I put it back on last week for MOT. The car is now pretty gutless at top end, but feels more torquey at the bottom. You won't get 140 from that spec. I hit 132 without a re-map on mine. It's the same spec minus the re-map but it has some headwork. I'm expecting 140+ when I get it mapped.
Stokie Dave

9th Mar 07 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds good.. I do like an even spread of power as it's already a bit gutless till 3k rpm... so dont wanna loose too much on pick up low down.

Maybe leaving the cat on will help that then, dont mind loosing a little bit of top end for quicker pick up I'm sure it'll prove more useful to me.

132 brake aint too bad though... did it feel a lot quicker than standard? i aint sure what to expect you see
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does feel a lot quicker, more responsive throughout the rev range. The day I put the Mantzel on really shocked me how different it was. But, it did lose at the bottom as the power from a Mantzel is at the top.

I forgot to add, it's got courtenay cams aswell. The thing lacking is the re-map. I really need to get this done.
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dean, yes a remap will completly transform your car with current mods.

Stokie - Like dean said, go for the 4-2-1 for more useable power.

I have that inlet you posted the link to, seems very well made and gave a good gain.

As for the de-cat, you may aswell put one one. If you de-cat a standard X16XE, you wont see any gains what so ever. However, de-cat it with the mods you've stated, then you will notice it. I've got to put my cat back in for MOT next week, and i'm pretty sure it'll make it alot slower.

With that spec, u'll beat VTS's.

As for the torque, im affraid there all pretty gutless below 3k rpm, u'll just have to live with it, thats the XE's small blocks dis-advantage Mine starts to go at 3.5k rpm, then really kicks at 4.8k rpm when the inlet wakes up.

Thought about stripping it? doesn't cost anything, and makes a big difference IMO

[Edited on 09-03-2007 by Monster]
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Monster
I've got to put my cat back in for MOT next week, and i'm pretty sure it'll make it alot slower.

Yes it will. It's pants. I've decided, my CATS coming back off tomorrow.
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good man
Stokie Dave

9th Mar 07 at 14:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Monster, cheers... I might just save up and wait till MOT time, get it through then do the exhaust bit lol I dont want it to rasp though so I'll have try get one with a small silencer I guess.

Aye they're a pain in the ass these things below 3.5k but never mind lol. Glad the inlet you've got gave noticable gains. Now I've heard some lexmaul, mantzels etc and they loose a lot of the standard inlets induction roar but for some reason those copies still sound good? lol couple of 1.4's down my way have them and I dont think I'd be any quicker at all even with the 1.6.

As for stripping.. I like my creature comforts but I know where ya coming from I'll keep it all in for now though.

So methinks:

Mantzel inlet copy
4-2-1 manifold
decat with small silencer
remap

should fit in with my budget? what price am I looking at for a 4-2-1? whats a good make?

[Edited on 09-03-2007 by Stokie Dave]
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The janspeed 4-2-1 manifold and de-cat is about £200 for the two. The de-cat has a silencer in it also. The quality is good, and it keeps the takeoff for the SAI.
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not sure if that'll be in your budget TBH. My inlet was £230 delivered, your manifold will be £200, and a remap will be £500.
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re-maps can be done for cheaper than that. MSD quoted me £275 incl VAT.
Stokie Dave

9th Mar 07 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i can get a remap done really cheaply, know someone in the trade

i can probs get the inlet cheap too as I know a few people who know the guy that makes it which may help.

200 sounds ok for the manifold and decat... how does it effect the sound? louder? the same? cheers for ya help guys
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No real difference. Sounds a bit more beefier though.
Stokie Dave

9th Mar 07 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that'll do me!

ah yes, like i say im no mechanic.. but did i read something somewhere about an oil catch tank or something if u bang one of these aftermarket inlets on? dunno what they're for or what they do so to speak but... do I need anything extra? or is it literally a case of banging the inlet on using the bits and instructions provided and then thats it? no additional bits or "hidden secrets"?
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theres a couple of wires to extend and maybe drilling the threads out of the throttle body. You'll also need the gaskets. Make sure you don't need to move the header tank with the cheaper inlet, thats a pain in the ass. You'll need to connect a couple of vacum hoses up also, thats easy. I don't havfe an oil catch tank. I have mine going to the floor.
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats cheap for a remap

dont you run a breather then dean?
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope. I run a peice of rubber pipe

The re-map was quoted by Stu at MSD. He's meant to be really good. I think it's the same MSD who did the ST Vectras
topshot_2k
Banned

9th Mar 07 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

better off spending the money on some better cams rather than exhaust manifold (there wont be many gains to be had with this)
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then to get the best out of the cams you need verniers and mapping. So, your wrong.
topshot_2k
Banned

9th Mar 07 at 15:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes already stated hes having a remap, so cams will offer more gains than manifold will.

Inlet
Cams
Exhaust/decat
Remap
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dean_W
Nope. I run a peice of rubber pipe

Ahhhh, I may have to do this then to stop all the mist of oil going everywhere

Literlly, a pipe of the rocker-cover to the bottom of the engine to let it go on the floor?
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k
hes already stated hes having a remap, so cams will offer more gains than manifold will.

Inlet
Cams
Exhaust/decat
Remap

But cams will be £300 + verniers. The exhaust manifold is the cheaper option.
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by topshot_2k

Inlet
Cams
Exhaust/decat
Remap

He's on a budget.
Dean_W

9th Mar 07 at 15:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Monster
Literlly, a pipe of the rocker-cover to the bottom of the engine to let it go on the floor?

Got it in one.
Scotty C

9th Mar 07 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll