corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Compression test,need your advice...

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Compression test,need your advice...
Lazarus1

User status: Offline
3rd Mar 06 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been having problems with my car (x14xe) engine,the car is losing water and has some of those scary "head gasket going" symphtoms.But if i do a compression test and IF it's not the head gasket that's causing the problem,what kind of compression ratio should i expect from a 10 year old 1.4 16v which has been regulary serviced with 63k on the clock. My Opel book says 10.5 i'm guessing thats 10.5 bars or 152 psi?
Forgive me if this is a silly question but i just want to know what figures should i expect if the head gasket is fine.
Cheers.
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

3rd Mar 06 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a leak down compression test. it actually measures the pressure you are losing in each cylinder and is more accurate at diagnosing faults than a standard compression test.

if the head gasket has gone a compression test may not show up the problem.

what are the symptoms?
Lazarus1

3rd Mar 06 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well my radiator was old and leaking so i've bought a new one thinking it would solve the problem of losing water.But it didn't cause i've had the right amount of coolant level when it was replaced but 2 days after that i've found the expasion tank empty.Other symphtoms:
-Theres always that running water behind dash board when i start the car from cold and when i tap the accelerator a bit the sound increases;
-theres a huge amount of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when i sit at the traffic lights but the weather was/is cold-ish(6 to 7 C) and theres some humidity in the air so i thought nothing of it;
-The car overheats but only when i'm stuck in traffic jam,but think the thermostat is doing it's job,when it hits around 99-100 the fan kicks in it cools the water down to 95 in about 20-30secs.
-No mayo substance on the oil cap whatsoever,the cap is plain black.
any thoughts?
Lazarus1

3rd Mar 06 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa808
get a leak down compression test.

How do you do this?The only copression test i know of is by taking out the spark plugs and putting that pressure gauge thingy...sorry i don't understand this things.
x14xe

3rd Mar 06 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont think you should worry about the actual pressure reading.

If a head gasket has blown, then it is usually on one cylinder, any more than one and the engine probably will not run.

You should check the compression on each cylinder and note them down, if you have one which is lower than the others, then it is likely to be a head gasket.

Your not burning oil are U ?
Lazarus1

3rd Mar 06 at 21:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do i check the compression on each cylinder?compression test,or leak down compression test(which i don't understand to be honest).
About the oil....strange thing and i don't know if it's related to this problem,but the oil level is too high,beyond the max level,and i'm 100% sure i've put the right amount...and i know how to check the oil level...and as i said before the oil on the dip stick and the oil cap is just black.

[Edited on 03-03-2006 by Lazarus1]
Jake

3rd Mar 06 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is the exhaust pushing out any white smoke after warm up period?
Dave A

3rd Mar 06 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

all the symptoms of a head gasket, but seems that you have caught it at an early stage. get a compression test and a sniffer test done (tests for signs of exhaust gasses in the coolant) this should tell you for sure.

dont let it get worse if it is gone. get it sorted asap. driving it will only make it worse and could end up overheating and warping the head.
Lazarus1

3rd Mar 06 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
is the exhaust pushing out any white smoke after warm up period?

yes the car is like periodicly puffing white smokes when it's warm.
Ok thanks for the repllies people...one more thing i understand the sniffer test,but corsa808 confused me about the compression test,could you tell me how it's done?
Thanks.
Bullet Proof SRi

3rd Mar 06 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you dont need a compression test, you need a fluid test, costs about £15, this will test to see if u have fuel emmisions in your water, if the test comes back positive your head gasket has gone.
Lazarus1

3rd Mar 06 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok i'll forget the copression test.I'll do a fluid test.
Thanks again,much appreciated.

Lazarus1

4th Mar 06 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok,guys i need to know once and for all about that sound behind the dashboard .... i've spoken to some people here in my town and they told me that the sound is not head gasket related,that it's just an airlock in the system....and about the car losing water,that it is normal to lose some water after putting a new radiator,cause the antifreeze has to circle through the system a few times,and that i have to put additional amount of antifreeze in the expansion tank.They told me that is not possible to have a head gasket going on a car that's had 63k on the clock....and also said that if theres even a small amount of water in the cylinders there will be a white/grey substance on the dip stick or oil cap.
Please comment on this,and beleive me i'm not thinking that you're wrong in what you suggested earlier....I will do some tests next week just to be on the safe side.
Thanks.
Dave A

4th Mar 06 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the noise behind the dashboard is exhaust gasses going through the heater matrix.

wether you have 63k or 63 miles on the clock the headgasket could go.

after fitting a new radiator you should run the car up to temp and put the heaters on inside the car on as hot as they go. then run the engine with the expansion cap offuntil it bubbles over. check the fan comes on, top up with water and leave it until its cold. then check the level of the coolant again. top up if required, job done.

water in the cylinder wont necessarily cause white gunk in the oil. this will be caused by the gasket failing between an oilway and a waterway rather than the waterway and the cylinder.

by the sounds of the white smoke you are getting its between the waterway and clyinder. the smoke is coolant being burnt (steam)

Dont listen to people in your down, they seem to know fuck all about engines
Lazarus1

4th Mar 06 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks again corsa808,i will take your advice into consideration,and i'll reply when i sort out the problem.

[Edited on 04-03-2006 by Lazarus1]
Cossie

4th Mar 06 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fluid test made yourself : if you see bubbles with water in reservoir means exhaust is reacting with radiator water so it's a head gasket
ainsley_brader

4th Mar 06 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even simpler on a x14xe.
The head gasket always goes between the water jacket and cylinder no 4

Take the four spark plugs out and compare no 4 to the other 3. Twice now i have struggled to remove the plug from no 4 cylinder because it has been siezed in by the headgasket going.

Ainsley
x14xe

4th Mar 06 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

true,

mine went there on 54K
ainsley_brader

4th Mar 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine went at 40k
Lazarus1

4th Mar 06 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off topic....is this a common problem with all Vauxhalls/Opels? or just the 16 valvers?Or is it a question of how do u drive and care for your car?cause i've been reading alot of "head gasket going" related topics on this forum.
ainsley_brader

4th Mar 06 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fairly common to go there on the 1.4 16v's
Bullet Proof SRi

4th Mar 06 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

corsas are well known for headgaskets going, also they have a weak coolant system and the water pumps on them often go.

you obviosly wont be helping your corsa if you rag it,

if you are unsure of how to check it urself just take it to a garage and pay £15 for the fluid test.
Dave A

4th Mar 06 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never heared of the water pumps having a problem.
Lazarus1

7th Mar 06 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would like to thank you all for helping me out,my car is at a mechanics garage having a head gasket replacement at the moment and it turned out exactly what you said it would be....the mechanic told me that it's an early stage of a head gasket failure so it's a good thing that i noticed it.Big thanks to all off you.
Lazar.
Lee Wilson

21st May 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, how strange. I thaught id search for head gasket as i think mine is on its way out. had a read of first post and i have exacly the same symptoms, guess ive caught mine at the early stages too then.

How much will a head gasket cost to fit in labour?
supermike

21st May 06 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My head gasket went a a month or so ago(X14XE), got it replaced cost 600 bucks, but that included a skim and pressure check, all those symptoms are wat i had on mine good luck with it, be warned my oil pump fucked up after head gasket going hence why im havin a new engine put in.

Mike

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll