corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Is my engine dying?!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is my engine dying?!
Sam
Premium Member

User status: Offline
1st Aug 05 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For some time now, my engine has a very low idle (550rpm instead of at least 800rpm), but for the past few weeks now the following is happening:

- High use of oil (1 litre of oil is needed every month)
- Light blue smoke for half a second from the exhaust when the engine is started
- Engine mis-fires, very noticeable on idle
- Engine performance is VERY poor (feels like I'm driving a 1.0!)

I've just been out and put 0.75 litres of oil in the engine, I also removed the spark plugs, and found the spark plug nearest the cam belt end of the engine didn't really have any dark deposits only sort of grey in colour, but the other three plugs were mostly dark deposits, they are NGK plugs and were changed about 3 months ago. I also noticed oil on the tips of all plugs and the insides of the HT leads.

As is always the case with my Astra the repair bill will probably cost a small fortune, but just wondered if anyone could hazard a guess as to what the culprit(s) is?

There are no external oil leaks, and the tailpipes of my exhaust are really black and sooty, so I'm guessing piston rings or something to do with the valves?

Engine is X14XE in a mk3 Astra.
Will_Sport

User status: Offline
1st Aug 05 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a compression test done....

if its drinking oil and not performing well might be seals/gaskets. a compression test should cost about £30 but will tell you where the problem is. (found i had a slight leak in my head gasket although mechanic thought it was fine)

New Poll