corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What could it be??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What could it be??
M559 WOW

User status: Offline
15th Nov 04 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive just fitted a 1600 16v engine into my corsa sri and its using obscene amounts of oil, its gone through over 2ltrs in about 2weeks! Ive just done a compression test and the compression is fine, i thought the pistion rings were in need of changing but with the compression i was getting im sort of thinking its not them anymore. so is it valve stem seals that are the problem?, surely it wouldnt use that much oil just with the stem seals would it??
thanks for any advice
jon
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah possibly matey, way to check is, drive the car hard and on gear change watch for a puff of smoke out the back, if ya see this its stem seals, check it aint leaking also put something under the car overnight like a white sheet, in the morning you will see the oil leak and the position of the oil will help sorce the leak
Darren

15th Nov 04 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do u get a big puff of smoke when u first start up?

when my stem seals went i was gettin few a fair bit of oil
M559 WOW

15th Nov 04 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i start up in the morning i get alot of white smoke for the first couple of minutes, then it goes. that happens under hardly any acceleration tho. Under heavy accerelaton i leave a nice trail of smoke (i can see it better at night in peoples headlights behind me), thats not white smoke tho.
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 13:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ya DEFINATELY burning oil, and it points at ring wear, did you do a wet and dry compression test, stick up ya results from the test
M559 WOW

15th Nov 04 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what the hell is a wet and dry comp test!??, i dont have any results, ive never done a comp test before so i went to the garage where i used to work and they helpd me do one, each cylinder was getting between 180 and 200psi tho which is fine they told me
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 13:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not so much the result that matters because if ya heads had a skim the comp will be higher anyway, what a wet and dry test is, they do a compression test like normal which gives you a result for each cylinder, you then put a small amount of oil in to each cylinder one by one as you test them, if the results go up allot then ya rings are worn as the oil will seal them temporaraly
M559 WOW

15th Nov 04 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh rite ok I see, well if its any help i very much doubt the engine has had a skim as the engine used to be in my mums gsi before i had it and i know it hasnt been done in when she had it!
Siberia

15th Nov 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf are stem seals anyways? were are they are they a cnut to change?
James R

15th Nov 04 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stem seals sit on the top of the valve stems. to change them it's head off and fully stripped to get to them. pretty easy though
Siberia

15th Nov 04 at 15:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah... i can pull appart the lower half of an engine but never tryed doing anything to the head before... please excuse my dumbness..
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its ok dude, just need to know the results of the test before i can say what might be wrong.
Siberia, we all learn thiings by actually doing them, just think how little ya knew a while ago, i knew nothing recently but stripping me engine taught me everything, i have stripped a head, collets are the biggest pain, just make sure ya get the appropriate long reach valve spring compressor, as the valve caps are reccessed quite a bit
James R

15th Nov 04 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a fan of banging them out with a 13mm extrend'd socket then put them back in with G-clamp

Oh while the collets are out it's worth matchign them so they total grab the back of the valve, as they can be a little too big and don't grip the valve correctly and it has been known for tuned up 16v's to havea collect pop out and drop the valve right in. A very mess end.
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats an interesting way of doing it, i thought about that method but couldnt think for the life of me how to get the collets back in once they were out as the socket would have covered the valve up not allowing me to stick the collets on,
Siberia

15th Nov 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are the collets the things that come in 2 halfs?

[Edited on 15-11-2004 by Siberia]
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes dude thats the ones
Siberia

15th Nov 04 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so they would be kept in by the pressure of the valve springs yeh? so as soon as ya compress the springs with the spring compressor they should fall or just pull out?
Greasemonkey

15th Nov 04 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the vavle spring has a cap on it called a valve cap, you compress the spring down past the top of the valve with the cap on, the 2 halfes of the collets then sit in the groove in the valve, use grease to stick them in (very fiddly) as you decompress the spring the collets are this shape \/ so as the cap pushes up it clamps the collets tighter into their groove, if ya get me
M559 WOW

15th Nov 04 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guys at the garage wher i used to work rekon we can change the stem seals with the head on. just compress the cylinder with air so the valves stay in place when the springs are removed. im not sure how this will work but they rekon it will.
Siberia

15th Nov 04 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^i seen that being done years ago when i done work experience in a ford garage.
CORSA1.616V

15th Nov 04 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it can be done on ford engine's, but you need to take the head off to do it on the vauxhall engine. I've just had mine done cause mine was doing the same as ure's. and hasn't used any oil since!!
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
15th Nov 04 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds similar to mine.
M559 WOW

16th Nov 04 at 22:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did the seals today with a mate in the garage and we did it with the head on, need to get another bolt for the cambelt tensioner before the job it totally finished so i cant say if the oil burning problem has been solved, il let you know when i get it running again!
Greasemonkey

16th Nov 04 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah my mechanic changes stem seals by using compressed air, very cleaver, then tensioner bolts are a bitch they have a left hand thread, normally have to buy the whole kit to get one lol
M559 WOW

17th Nov 04 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got it running again, its better than it was but it is alittle overfull with oil at the mo (my fault) so when i change the oil again and have it at the right level hopefully it wil not smoke at all!, by the way, is ther anyway of changing the mixture as the smoke now is very black, like its too rich?
cheers
jon

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » What could it be?? 23 database queries in 0.0984511 seconds