corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Any wa to tell between h/gasket failure & ring wear?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Any wa to tell between h/gasket failure & ring wear?
X 60RSA

User status: Offline
11th May 05 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm debating whether i am burning oil through ring wear or gasket failure through 1 of the oil ports through the block and head gasket.

Whats the best way to determine btween the two or is it difficult?
AdamF
Premium Member

11th May 05 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the exhaust manifold off, if its the headgasket there will be traces of oil in the exhaust port
Mistamist

11th May 05 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Compression test, Do a normal test and make a note of the compression values, then add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and do the test again, this will tell you if the rings are worn or something else. if your getting no compression between either of the cylinders then the gasget has gone between the cylinder.
X 60RSA

11th May 05 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have thought it would have of burnt off by this time due to the heat?

It doesn't smoke hardly at all, a little more so when its doing alot of pulling eg: pedal to metal driving.

Normal driving, just tootling around, not a trace.........doesn't smoke until it gets past 4k.
X 60RSA

11th May 05 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M15T XE
Compression test, Do a normal test and make a note of the compression values, then add a teaspoon of oil to each cylinder and do the test again, this will tell you if the rings are worn or something else. if your getting no compression between either of the cylinders then the gasget has gone between the cylinder.

Any chance 1 oil point is leaking externally and internally around 1 piston though?

My oil consumption is high, i did a comp test last week. Figures were around 250psi on 3 cylinders bar number 2 which was 215. I know the rest are still very high, i'm topping up once a week with a litre, seems alot for 1 piston ring failure?
CorsAsh

11th May 05 at 23:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Any oil in your coolant?
X 60RSA

11th May 05 at 23:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not a drop in the coolant!
Greasemonkey

12th May 05 at 07:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wet and dry compression test will tell ya if its rings or not

[Edited on 12-05-2005 by Greasemonkey]
danny-corsa

12th May 05 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had this problem couple of weeks back. i noticed smoke from the exhaust thought it was head gasket but coolant level hasn't droped. then did block test on it and it was o.k. i put it down to stem seals it it was rings it would be smoking constantly but u only notice it smoking every now and then. its used about half a litre over 600-700 miles recently and vauxhall say that there is no major problems if its burning 1litre every 1k
Greasemonkey

12th May 05 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Stem seals cause puffs of smoke when coming off the throttle at high rpm gear changes etc, rings will cause smoking on acceleration, might not start till high rpm but will be a constant haze once the oil breaches the rings
Greasemonkey

12th May 05 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

danny-corsa if you got a GSI then burning oil is the norm on these engines, can be sorted with new rings stem seals etc but its one of them things, think the tollerences of componants aint great on em, i rebuilt my C16XE and at 6500-7500RPM it produces a slight Haze
danny-corsa

12th May 05 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its done 62k so is the rite age for stem seals to be on their way out. i would replace them but im opting for a courtenay big valve head instead

does anyone know of anyone that can supply me a big valve, ported and skimmed head with a set of cams i think they're about £500+ from courtenay.
calidus

12th May 05 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im guessing one ring is down as it sounds like mine was...could even be sticking somehow :S just an idea...compression test is easiest way to find out

New Poll