corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Help with a 1.6 16v sport engine.........White smoke......

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help with a 1.6 16v sport engine.........White smoke......
5doormodder

User status: Offline
4th Nov 03 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello, Can anyone help me out here. I was going to buy a vauxhall corsa sport 1.6 16v W REG (2000) (done 79k miles) pretty high

However it's blowing out white smoke and ive been told it needs 'New bottom end shells' putting on the engine.

Can anyone who knows the 1.6 16v engine well tell me what that means and if they were telling me the truth when they said £400 for vauxhall to supply and fit the parts.

I would call the vaux garage but they are closed this time of night just wondered if any of you peeps could shed some light on it for me

Cheers all who help !
corsa120

4th Nov 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi mate i had the same problem with my 1.4 16v but i never had white smoke comin out, basically if the bottom end shells need replacing then the engine has had a hard life as they should not go really unless obviously its been ragged to death, and there is a high chance that the shells will have ground into the crank meaning the crank may need regrinding if the shells need replacing ur lookin at 500 quid but if u need the crank regrinding u could be lookin at a grand easy maybe more so........

i went down the scrappy and found a rear end shunted w-reg 1.6 16v that had done 18000 miles and did a swop to this cost only 350 for the engine and few more noted to fit it
mattyboy199

4th Nov 03 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

piston rings mate more than that to fix at vauxhall or maybe jus head gasket
5doormodder

4th Nov 03 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So id probably be better off doing what you did just getting a new engine for it ?

Thanks for your help
Kris TD

4th Nov 03 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no, u would be better off not buying it and go find another one.
Andy

4th Nov 03 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds like a head gasket to me - check the expansion tank for oily sludge/low coolant levels. You could also do an emissions test - high HC levels indicate oil burning, a much more serious problem, but usually signalled by blue smoke. If it is just head gasket, it's relatively simple to sort
AdamF
Premium Member

4th Nov 03 at 20:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

white smoke is coolant mate usauly indicating head gasket like alreaDdy said smell inside the header tank to see if it smells of exhaust fumes this would indicate gasket failure accross a water way and piston hence the white smoke from coolant burning
Bennn

4th Nov 03 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why go to vauxhall to do this work anyway?
Mav 3000

4th Nov 03 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id walk away. Plenty more Corsas out there. Be hasty and youll more than likely regret it if its problems already!

Walk away.
mattyboy199

4th Nov 03 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

79k on a W is very high i would nt bother
AndyCorsa

4th Nov 03 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Defo sounds like head gasket has gone if you have white clouds comming out your exhaust. Happened to me when I had a Nova GTE few years back. Bought the parts and did it myself for about 30. Cost me about 15 quid to get the head skimmed too.
dave17

4th Nov 03 at 23:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ohhh my 1.4 16v does this at the moment too! where can i get a new head gasket from? how much? and would it be hard 2 replace?

New Poll