corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine problems

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine problems
mark_shrimpton

User status: Offline
27th Jan 04 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am hoping some other people have a clue what is wrong with my poor car. I havnt got more than a basic understanding of engine mechanics so please help.
My (basic) car details are
P reg Corsa Sport 1.4 16v (no improvements)

Last year between about nov and apr i had a problem with my car, it would start first time, all the time. But if it had been running for a while then the engine was switched off for a while it would not start again easily. It would turn over and sometimes it might run for a second not reaching 1k revs and then die. The only way i can seem to start it then is to pump the accel as i start it in order to try and battle it above 1k rev where it would be happy.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mark
Greasemonkey

27th Jan 04 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe a blocked EGR valve whip it out and clean it with carb cleaner or better still block off the EGR ports and disable it
mark_shrimpton

27th Jan 04 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You lost me after the word blocked.
Can i go for some kind of additive to the petrol to clear it up, because i havnt got a clue what EGR stands for not alone where abouts in the engine i would find it or how to remove it.
burt16v

27th Jan 04 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello mate EGR = Exhaust Gas Recirculation, although dont know where it is on the corsa as i havnt got 1 yet, on my car at the mo its on the exhaust manifold.
Anyway could also be ur idle control valve or throttle position sensor, these are usually located near the throttle body and look like a metal cylinder could need disconnected and cleaned with carb cleaner as they can sometimes get clogged up esp in winter and if running and induction kit. Shouldnt be anything to major if u cant have a go urself ask any mechanic they should know the score.
Hope that helps

Burt16v
Greasemonkey

27th Jan 04 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cos ya got a 16V the throttle body is a nightmare to get to if ya dont know much about engines its a bit of a horrible task, yeah the EGR system is to the right of the cam cover and is plumbed into the exhaust manifold
mark_shrimpton

27th Jan 04 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the information. I will have a look under the bonnet and see if it looks easy to get at.
One more general question what does the EGR do? Like i said i only know about the basics of engines and its always good to learn something new

Thanks
eug

14th Mar 08 at 21:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hello fella the egr valve recirculates the exausts gases to lower the emisions on the engine i think? its all about the eco tech engine making it better for the enviroment lol

New Poll