corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New corsa owner questions for you experts.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New corsa owner questions for you experts.
tobyc

User status: Offline
   16th Apr 03 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hello, I'm new here, and have just bought a R reg corsa 1.2 LS.

I've contacted Ian who was very helpful and invited me spend a little time here, which I plan to do

Anyway, to the point of the post. I've noticed by searching through the web that there's a common fault with Engine Management, specifically ERV/EGR, which costs a couple of hundred to have fixed. Has anyone here encountered this, and is there an easy was to safeguard against it?

I noticed at least one such thread here:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=52552

It doesn't seem to be too prevelent on these boards, but if you read through car survey (carsurvey.org) there doesn't seem to be one corsa review that doesn't mention this problem.

The other thing I noticed whilst seaching was head gasket failure, there have been a lot of these. My sister's corsa has just had this happen. Is this only likely to happen to high milage corsas or is this too a common fault?

I'm guessing if it was common it would be in the FAQ though. Any input would be apprieciated.

[Edited on 16-04-2003 by tobyc]
Mikorsa16v

16th Apr 03 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i havnt experienced any engine management probs yet touch wood. Ive heard of the EGR failing a couple of times but doesnt really seem to happen a lot from what i have heard.
a head gasket usually goes at higher mileages, this can happen on any car and doesnt happen to corsas more than any other make!
luca2020

16th Apr 03 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a GSi mate, dont have EGR so no problems to go wrong with it

but u can cut it out

head gasket going - the same on any car, they just go sometimes
mav

17th Apr 03 at 02:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A couple of times in the 2 years of owning my 1.6 sport the engine man light has came on.
But it went out and not been on since..Doesn't seem to be any ill effects either.
Cybermonkey

17th Apr 03 at 08:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you really dont have anything to worry. The number of corsa owners who have had very litle problems far outweighs the number who have had problems. Its just those that do have problems end up telling the world about it, making it look like a different situation. The engine you have there is as tough as shit to be honest and will serve you will, whether you intend to thrash the hell out of it or take it easy. You may want to check the distributor cap (if you have one) for wear, since this can lead to other problems. Make sure the metal tips inside are nice and clean. As for engine modifications, you probably wont see any improvements to anything you do, just keep the engine well maintained and get some decent leads and sparks. Also use a good oil obviously and focus your attention to styling and ICE, or whatever takes your liking. Tips for this year is 2tone paint jobs, which is going to be huge. Big kits are out, and smooth subtle 'euro' styling is in. hope i have helped.

Dave
tobyc

18th Apr 03 at 00:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks for the replies.

I think there was a problem with the distributer cap. The car wouldn't start this morning, had to call the AA man out, he fiddled under the bonnet and fixed it in a couple of minutes. He said it needed a service, it wasn't due to have one until October.

I doubt if I'll modify the car, I'm not the most popular boy with the insuance company after having written off my last two cars in six months after passing my test. At least they payed out promptly and are still insuring me.

The car actually came with a bee sting arial and a nice replacement JVC CD player, looks and sounds great, although my knowledge of ICE is limited.

I'm still getting used to driving the car, everything feels light and spongy compared to my last cars. I think I will like it though, very early forgiving clutch and good gear ratios. Its my fourth car and I'm still 18

Thanks again for your help.
Munchie

18th Apr 03 at 00:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u sound very posh haha welcome to da boards tho fella....i bet ure car wont be standard after spending a few months on this board!!!

da munch
Plymouth_Corsa

18th Apr 03 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the light comes on from time to time, then dont worry, its when it constantly stays on you need to take it to vauxhall, and they will replace the ECU or other problems with it.
But if its tempermental, then you need not worry, because its just doing a electronic search of the vehicle electrics, and making sure it all works fine, this will also happen if a 2nd immoboliser has been fitted or an alarm, as its an extra function wired into the ecu, and sometimes the ecu needs to pick it up in its diagnostic tests...something like that anyway. lol

New Poll