corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » My revs are getting a bit jumpy HELP ?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author My revs are getting a bit jumpy HELP ?
mattyboy199

User status: Offline
   30th Oct 03 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only sometimes does the rev needle start to bounce up & down when i grind to hault between 500 & 1000 rpm why though ?.

Had a cambelt change recently
The speedo cable replaced also bout 6 months ago (assume this is throttle cable to)

What else could it be ?

Idle valve ?
Fan belt ?

Please help this car is causing me major £££ & problems

(GSI X16XE)
greengoddess

30th Oct 03 at 22:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd hazard a guess its the idle control valve.Take it off and clean it with carb cleaner.
mattyboy199

30th Oct 03 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are these easy to remove & re install ?
Greasemonkey

30th Oct 03 at 23:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No not really, remove battery, undo header tank move it to the side, undo the fuel inlet and out let on the fuel rail and if ya lucky you might be able to get a tool to the 2 screws, if ya carnt you gotta remove the top of the inlet manifold!!!
It only 2 bloody screws in the end its stupid really
mattyboy199

31st Oct 03 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right and cleaning it how do i do it ?
mattyboy199

31st Oct 03 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

WTF ?
mattyboy199

2nd Nov 03 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump ity bump
Greasemonkey

2nd Nov 03 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just clean the valve matey it get clogged up with black gunk which might prevent it from closing or opening properly, i did this on mine and to be honest it didnt work i replaced the valve and that still didnt fix it!!! It turned out to be a great big bloody hole in the inlet trunking.
mattyboy199

2nd Nov 03 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shit
corsa c14se

2nd Nov 03 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

clean the electrical connectors of the injection system.Sometimes they get dusty and cause what you describe.I had this problem on mine
mattyboy199

2nd Nov 03 at 23:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

electrical connectors where would these be ?
mattyboy199

3rd Nov 03 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bump
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 03 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea my cars revs are messed up to, but seem to be ok when the engine has warmed up a bit?
i thought it was just coz of the cold!? but it cant be!?

when i put my foot on accel the rev drops a bit then goes up but struggles as it goes up!

and when i leave it just idles slightly above 1000revs which is too high!

when i rev it, its as if i run out of petrol or one of the spark plugs is not sparking properly if you get what i mean? also a lack or late comming of the power when i put my foot down when driving!

but it seems fine after a few minutes which is weird???

im sure its my idle control valve, either dirty and blocked or needs replacing??

[Edited on 03-11-2003 by MoNkEy MaGiC]
broster
Premium Member

3rd Nov 03 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

try givein it a sevice, may be the plugs as u say, reset the ecu and run some injector cleaner thru it! c what that does! end of the day if it dont solve it ur cars had a full sevice and a invector clean! mine runs so much better after doing the above!
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 03 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea mate, i checked all the wires and cleaned the spark plugs, also reset the ecu and put tank of optimax in, its recently had oil and oil filter changed too, but still hasnt solved it!

so all i can think of is the idle control valve??
Geeza10328

3rd Nov 03 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

m8 my car has being doin this jumpy revs thing for a while now. Basically wen I depress the clutch or take it out of gear the revs will drop down to about 200 then come back up to idle..850ish. But I'm 90% sure its either the battery or the alternator...because either of these is what gives the sparks their sparks and if they ain't working properly then the engine is gonna nearly conk out everytime. Now just about 30 mins ago I turned my engine off in a macdonlds carpark and had the headlights on after I turned the engine off for about 5 mins, wen I tried to turn the engine back on the battery was completely dead! not any life from it at all. So for me anyway its either the battery needs renewing or the alternator just isn't charging the battery.

Anyway I got my dad to come wiv his car and jump start it wiv me, but now I gotta get it sorted tomorrow.

Maybe an idea for u to look at the battery or the alternator. Another thing I run a fairly powerful sound system 600rms full load can pull a lot of current from the battery so I think I've killed the battery over the last 8 months. Dunno whether u draw much current from urs?

On the other hand urs mite be the idle valve thing, which I will get checked out too, I'm only running a 1.2 16v tho. And its only 1998 reg so not that old.
MoNkEy MaGiC

3rd Nov 03 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i changed my battery for a more powerfull one about 4 months ago! i havnt got a sub but do run 6x9 from a amp of the head unit so its not really drawing much power! unless the alternater is fcuked!

mine is a Gsi 1.6 16v "L" reg 8 years old!

i got really bad oil consumtion problem too!!!!! but i doubt it has anything to do with the revs idle rate???

i still think its my idle control valve, well i hope it is coz i cant think wat else it could be really???

but thanks for the advice mate
mattyboy199

3rd Nov 03 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by MoNkEy MaGiC
i changed my battery for a more powerfull one about 4 months ago! i havnt got a sub but do run 6x9 from a amp of the head unit so its not really drawing much power! unless the alternater is fcuked!

mine is a Gsi 1.6 16v "L" reg 8 years old!

i got really bad oil consumtion problem too!!!!! but i doubt it has anything to do with the revs idle rate???

i still think its my idle control valve, well i hope it is coz i cant think wat else it could be really???

but thanks for the advice mate

same here
DangerousDave16v

3rd Nov 03 at 22:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my sport does this but only for about 30 secs when i depresss the clutch on brass monkey mornins

New Poll