corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Engine Warning Light

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Engine Warning Light
S21NMP

User status: Offline
   29th Nov 03 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night the Engine Management light came on on my 1999 Corsa 1.2 SXi. I have noticed that the car had been a bit jumpy over the past week and it was consuming a lot of petrol. Today, the light has been coming on a lot more and I've noticed that when I come to a stop, the car revs above normal and I could actually see it revving itself with my foot away from the pedal. If I touched the pedal it would drop back to just below 1000 revs. Is this the automatic choke or could it be something completely different? Can't seem to find anything in the Haynes manual about the choke. Its just been serviced as I thought it may have been the spark plugs.

Its booked in at Vauxhalls on Monday for a £30 diagnosis

Any ideas?
dave85

2nd Dec 03 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a problem earlier in the year with my 99 sxi. The engine management light kept coming on especially when i was slowing down and was also a bit jumpy. I took it 2 the garage as it was under warrenty and it turned out 2 be the idle control valve dont know if this helps u at all!
Greg_M

2nd Dec 03 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it'll be the idle control valve if its when stationary.

why take it to vaux! they charge the earth then will do more work than is needed. well not all vaux, must admit im lucky cos my loacl dealer is Twells (and there no.1 in the country) and they are good. Helps when you know the owener and half the body shop team.
Paul_J

2nd Dec 03 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

idle control valve - its gone on my car...

at least at your vaux it only costs £30 for a diagnosis... at mine its £76! and thats before they touch the car...

because of this, and the fact I can't afford to get it fixed, I've been driving around with the idle control valve playing up for months!

some people have said if you can get it off just give it a clean... to be honest, I don't care... I rarely let the revs drop enough for it to matter and you just need to blip the throttle with the clutch to make the jumpyness go away...

Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

2nd Dec 03 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this used to happen to me, took my idle valve off, cleaned it, put it back on, problem solved! sorted. i would def do this rather than spending over £100 takin2 garage to have a new1 wen all it needs is cleaning

New Poll