corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » wiring for 6*9's through an amp

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author wiring for 6*9's through an amp
BigSte

User status: Offline
30th Oct 03 at 13:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At the moment I have a 2 channel amp and a 12" sub, therefore im currently using both channels to power the sub. I have got some 6x9's what sum1 gave me and so i thought i'd put them in.
I put my sub on the first channel and it worked fine, I then wired one speaker into the second channel and my sub worked still but the speaker didnt. So I then unwired the sub completely from the amp and wired one 6*9 to one channel and the other 6*9 to the other. One worked spot on and the other didnt.
So then I had a brainwave of wiring both through one channel so when i had done this one speaker worked fine and the other worked but was very quiet and poor sounding. I swapped the speakers round and the poor sounding one worked properly so there isnt a problem with the 6*9's.

What the hell am i doin wrong and how can i get it so my sub works off the first channel and both 6*9's work off the second channel.

Someone please help
Richie

30th Oct 03 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You cant run a sub and 6x9's off a two channel amp, im suprised you havent blown the amplifier up after dropping one of the channels to 2ohms. Your amp is more than likely designed to run a sub when the channels are bridged. You cant have one channel dropped to 2ohms and the other at 4 ohms unless your amp supports it, and also unless you have independant channel crossovers, your gonna be sending a full range signal to the sub, not good.

You need a four channel amp or a seperate amp for either your sub or 6x9's, or an amp that supports tri mode

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by AustinPXX]
DIGGIDY

30th Oct 03 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

AustinPXX
You cant run a sub and 6x9's off a four channel amp

Don't ya mean 2 channel... not 4 channel..

It's is possible to run both 6x9s and a sub from a 2 channel amp, but it has to capable of supporting tri-mode..
Richie

30th Oct 03 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOL im sorry i got myself fucked there cos of what i was thinking, editied
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers austin (aka ICE guru)........my girlfriend has a 1600w four channel amp which is currently runnin 1 sub.........she's buyin a set of 6*9's tho and wants to run these through her amp.
She is currently runnin her sub across three of the channels and i would ideally like to run the 6*9's from the fourth.

How would i do this then (In Lamens terms please cos im not 2 shit hot on wiring)........cheers austin
DIGGIDY

30th Oct 03 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

She is currently runnin her sub across three of the channels and i would ideally like to run the 6*9's from the fourth.

That doesn't sound right at all...

She should be bridging just channels 1 and 2 for the sub... how the hell is that working???
Sparco

30th Oct 03 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i thought the same???
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what u sayin, i fucked up on wiring.......should i take it down to just 2 channels then?

seems to work spot on, on the 3 channels tho
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how come only channels 1 and 2, whats up with using 3?
DIGGIDY

30th Oct 03 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes.. you could be doing serious damage to the voice coils of the sub... and even the amp..

Basically Bridge channels 1 and 2, and then connect each 6x9 to channels 3 and 4, seperatly!!

BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks diggidy, how come usin 3 channels will damage the sub?
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh ye.......forgot to ask......she is also wantin to add another sub, if i put both her subs in a ported box should i still use the first 2 channels.

i also want to make sure this is right........if im puttin 2 subs in same box do i put positive port to positve on first sub, neg on first sub to pos on second sub, then neg on second sub to neg on port
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from what i gather, you can bridge 2 channels or 4 channels on a 4 channel amp. Obviously bridging 2 channels will give half the power and all four channels to get the max outta the thing.

However, using 3 channels may not be damaging the coils, but its a weird setup and it should be best that you just bridge the two channels. Eitherway, bridging just the 2 leaves you with the other two channels for the 6x9's etc
Dom
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers dom, can any1 answer my last question about 2 subs in a ported box
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigSte
oh ye.......forgot to ask......she is also wantin to add another sub, if i put both her subs in a ported box should i still use the first 2 channels.

i also want to make sure this is right........if im puttin 2 subs in same box do i put positive port to positve on first sub, neg on first sub to pos on second sub, then neg on second sub to neg on port

If you have 4ohm subs, wiring it like this will cause a 2ohm load. If the rated output of 2 channels of the amp @ 2ohms is enough for the subs then go for it, if not you may need to use all four channels. Or give the subs a bridged channel each

edit!!!! Cant think lol....no you wired it in serial and will cause a 8ohm load. Best bet is to do Amp + to sub 1 +, Sub 1 + to Sub 2 +, then do the same on the negs. That will give you a 2ohm load Should get more power outta the amp.

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by VisibleMan]
DIGGIDY

30th Oct 03 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well if your amp and sub have been matched correctly... you will be suppling addtional power, which will just build up as heat and thus burn out the coils...

the only way you would use all four channels with one sub would be if you had dual voice coils..

Trust me you don't want to be connecting the sub to 3 of the 4 channels...

BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i dont understand all this ohm business.....the subs are sony xplod.......12" hexagon shape
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i dont understand all this ohm business.....the subs are sony xplod.......12" hexagon shape

lol mate
Give us the model number of the subs (or what they are) and the model/make of the amp and ill have a butchers and see which way is the best to wire it

Alright ya subs are the sony L121P5 and they are rated at 350w RMS @ 4Ohms
So, what ya need is for the amp to be able to push out 700wRMS or near enough to it

[Edited on 30-10-2003 by VisibleMan]
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is exactle the same sub......
http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2185&tab=2&osCsid=c2bbb18315902527d1be8398ee1723c7

i'll just find the amp
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is the amp

http://caraudiosecurity.com/catalog/product_info.php+cPath+3_94+products_id+1833
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

that all u need mate
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im looking up on the RMS wattage of the amp, but cant find jack Ill keep looking though mate. Either way the MAX out is 800w, bridged 2 channels at 4ohms. Im can only guess here mate, but you will need a 2ohm load (so wire up the subs in parallel)...and you might need to bridge all 4 channels. Although im only taking a guess, since i cant find a any info on the RMS outputs of it.

Dom
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

by wirin in parallel does that mean doin it was i said earlier in ported box
Dom

30th Oct 03 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
by wirin in parallel does that mean doin it was i said earlier in ported box

No that means taking the + of the AMP, connecting it to Sub1's +, then Sub1's + going to Sub2's +. The take the Amps - , go to Sub1's -, then Sub1's - goes to Sub2's -.
Basically you wire up one of the subs as normal, then you wire up the other sub to first sub as if it was an amp
There are pics around, Austin has one in his garage i think

However, im only taking guessing that you can do this....for all we may know is that the amp wont let you use a 2ohm load so you will be screwed
Dom
BigSte

30th Oct 03 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'll have a look through the manual what came with the amp........can u tell me exactly what specs im lookin 4

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll