corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Smoking Battery!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Smoking Battery!
drunkenfool

User status: Offline
25th Jul 03 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Checked my battery last week, water was a bit low. Smelled something funny from the car, opened the engine bay and the battery was smoking/steaming and smelled eggy. Topped it all the way up, and its still doing it. I had to reset the ECU too cos my car was being really weird (randomly stalling, idling at 2000rpm). Do u reckon its just my battery thats fucked, or is tehre something more serious? I got no ice to speak of at the moment cos my sub blew up, so amp is disconnected. Cheers, Matt!
corb

25th Jul 03 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

errrr, get a new battery ASAP. Its sulphur dioxide or something like that. Its not good, i can remember that much! It may be DANGEROUS aswell. Get down Halfords and get yourself a new battery mate.
Richie

26th Jul 03 at 00:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the cells were damaged due to lack of water (i hope u used distilled to top it up!), once one cell is damaged it does nothing but get worse.

As corb said just get a new battery. Just be glad it hasnt melted a quarter of ur engine bay like it did in my mums shogun
drunkenfool

27th Jul 03 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i topped em with deionised water! It was empty the next morning when i checked, and my car hadnt even been used. Wont start now, so looks like i shud get a new one. Do you reckon its just cos the battery is old ( '93 L reg car( or was there something that made it do what it did? Also, if i am getting 2z 1400w rms amps, should i bother with something like the optima yellow top, or just upgrade the altenator? Matt
Richie

27th Jul 03 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

errrrrrr yes get an uprated battery if possible.

cant believe the battery has been going for 10 years
drunkenfool

27th Jul 03 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got a new battery today (same spec as the old one, i got no ice at the moment and i cant afford the new one yet!) and it started smoking too, so disconnected it aqgain. When it was connected, the car was idling normaly, revved it a bit, and then it started idling at 2,000 rpm. Also stalled itslef in neutral (on my drive). Any ideas what it could be? I think we figured out why the old one died - disconnected the power lead from the amp and left it in the boot, but i think it accidently touched the body of the car
Richie

27th Jul 03 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if the new one is smoking ye got problems. Check nothing is shorting. But i dont understand why it keeps making the battery smoke.
drunkenfool

28th Jul 03 at 00:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been told that my altenator might be overcharging the battery, but is this possible? im taking it to the garage on wed anyway for a couple of other minor problems, but i dont wanna spend loads of money on an altemator if its not broken! The guy also said that it doesnt sound like the belt squealing, but the bearings in the altenator itself. I guess i'll find out on wed, but id be appreciative of any advice again! Matt
Richie

28th Jul 03 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a multimeter out and put it on the battery when the car is running. If the voltage is above 14.4 then it could well be the alternator, never heard of one overcharging tho!
drunkenfool

1st Aug 03 at 23:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just in case anyone cares, my alternator was fucked, had it replaced and all works fine now! During the 3 minute drive to the garage, the car stalled 7 times, idled at 2000+ RPM and the windsceen wipers were going mad when i put them on! Cheers for the advice tho!
Richie

2nd Aug 03 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol! send me the fucked alternator id like to play with that!
TOMAS

2nd Aug 03 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You are lucky you didnt fry your ecu or anything else for that matter!!
drunkenfool

3rd Aug 03 at 12:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, the battery has been replaced with a standard one, but if i am getting 2 x 1400w RMS subs, do u think i should get something like the optima yellow top? Sorry austin, the garage kept it there!
Richie

3rd Aug 03 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ARGH! Yeh u would need to uprate, or get a split charge system going.
Adam-D

3rd Aug 03 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

somking! feckin ell
drunkenfool

6th Aug 03 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went to the garage again cos the altenator that they replaced was making a horrible ratting/grinding noise, got that "fixed", drove 20 miles and the battery was smoking again!! It was supposed to be going to get fixed again tomorrow morning, but on the way home, the gear linkage snapped too so now i have to get it towed to get that fixed.
Richie

6th Aug 03 at 21:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 fucked alternators? Uve gotta have another fault somewhere in the electrics system mate
drunkenfool

7th Aug 03 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just had a phone call from the garage. The altenator is still overcharging the battery, and what i thougt was deionised water that i had spilled in the engine bay, was actually battery acid!!! That got in the ball joint on the gear linkage, corroded that, and it snapped. Also, vauxhall apparently dont sell replacement linkages, and it;s £100 for a new linkage assembly, unless i can find one in a scrappy. Why is it when it rains, it pours?!!
ajscorsa

7th Aug 03 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you not having a very good time are you m8.

at least your boot instal will look good
drunkenfool

7th Aug 03 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont have any components tho, blew up my last sub and im replacing my amp! All i need now is someone to give me about £6k, and then i'd be happy!

New Poll