corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Has CS run its course now?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Has CS run its course now?
Bart

User status: Offline
10th Mar 17 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
See I don't want to call it too early but Facebook will die just like the rest of them.

Ive been thinking the same for a while now, but I think Facebook has grown to have their finger in so many pies that it many not happen.
Ian
Site Administrator

10th Mar 17 at 21:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not so sure they would go there. They're trying try get in on selling stuff but that basic post model is similar across all sectors, so they're not really having a huge departure to included that in the current experience.

The stuff I see for car communities is really only suitable to organising car events or talking about car problems, doesn't scale very well to other sectors hence I can't see them chasing it. Or they'd have to do it for other communities as well each with different needs.
Ste
Premium Member

10th Mar 17 at 22:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
I stopped looking in individual forums about 30 minutes after I programmed Recent Threads

You should make that the default page on the site.

locost builders has a decent landing page

https://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/

minus some blah around the edges

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Gary
Premium Member

11th Mar 17 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
https://www.facebook.com/corsasport/

Page though so you can't chat on it.

We also have https://www.facebook.com/groups/corsasport/ although no content yet, needs a push at some point

However much you hate Facebook that group needs a push. Nothing wrong with running a. Group and a forum.
Generation

11th Mar 17 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Imo. It's almost a pride thing.

Refusing to do what's popular now, because the perfect time has already passed.

Refusing to conform
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Mar 17 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
https://www.facebook.com/corsasport/

Page though so you can't chat on it.

We also have https://www.facebook.com/groups/corsasport/ although no content yet, needs a push at some point

However much you hate Facebook that group needs a push. Nothing wrong with running a. Group and a forum.

Yeah that was the plan, I do want a busy group as that's where the future of busy CS shows currently sits
Ian
Site Administrator

11th Mar 17 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Generation

Refusing to conform

chris_uk
Premium Member

12th Mar 17 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Joined th group doing my bit!
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

12th Mar 17 at 12:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Refusing to conform

Not quite, I think at the time fb wasn't a thing, and when it became a thing, we were opposed to fb groups because of our roots in forums.

In terms of building a resource that people can visit, find information, share information, forums/bbs provide a very good platform to do so, whereas social media platforms do not. I think ojc already mentioned about asking the same question 10x over every week (fb groups) instead of just using the search function (forums) or going through the tutorials section (forums) - its just not very

Not to mention the deal of managing your own data, owning your own data, having control where our (and your) data goes. But thats more of a admin/staff concern than an end user/member imo.

I'm not really against having conversation on both platforms but the one point that does urk me is it make the information (conversations, tutorials, news) very fragmented in terms of location - and as someone who works in systems I find this a unattractive prospect .
Generation

13th Mar 17 at 00:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That first paragraph kinda describes ehat I was getting st better
Generation

13th Mar 17 at 00:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I understand the other points made. However, in lot of my experience tutorials are useless as pics no longer showed for a lot. People don't really bother making them anymore either.
Searching can help, I agree. However sometimes you had to trawl through loads of arguments to only find the OP hasn't bothered updating now they've figured it out anyway.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

13th Mar 17 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I understand the other points made. However, in lot of my experience tutorials are useless as pics no longer showed for a lot. People don't really bother making them anymore either.
Searching can help, I agree. However sometimes you had to trawl through loads of arguments to only find the OP hasn't bothered updating now they've figured it out anyway.

Absolutely, I can't put my hand on my heart and say all the content in tutorials and help have working images and such, you would of hoped that users would be kind enough to report it but more than likely we need some bots to trawl through and check for 404 on images imo.

Anyway I hope that gives you a tiny bit of insight into the whole FB thing, I personally feel that's one of the main contributing factors to having less of a discussion page.
DaveyLC

13th Mar 17 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMHO Facebook IS the reason so many forums are struggling..

Facebook groups are fantastic! And now you can actually search within the content they are even better
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Mar 17 at 13:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got no idea how feasible this is with the technology available, but would it be possible to integrate a feature into the CS forum in which a new thread/post can be shared directly to the FB group as it's posted?

For example, if JohnD posts an update in his project thread containing a substantial update (for example, containing an update/photos on the project... not just an answer to a question or a response to some criticism ) he's got an option to share it onto the CS facebook group.

That way FB can be used almost as a subscriber mechanism, downstream from the FB share people may like/comment/share which expands the CS horizon to a new audience.

There may be other considerations, the shared posts may need to go through a moderation process...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 17 at 14:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Facebook groups are fantastic!

All those nice thread titles so you can see what the topic is about. How about page numbers so you can see where you're up to?
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 17 at 14:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I've got no idea how feasible this is with the technology available, but would it be possible to integrate a feature into the CS forum...

Don't see why not although not sure how Facebook would feel about it.

Nothing to stop that group getting busy although the elephant in the room is currently that very few of the people who have joined it actually have Corsas. So there's that old challenge again - newbies.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Mar 17 at 14:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I've got no idea how feasible this is with the technology available, but would it be possible to integrate a feature into the CS forum...

I'm sure there's a proper mechanism for it, Pistonheads do it a fair bit - they have their 'thread of the week' type homepage stories shared to FB. Give it some clickbaity title like "John does DIY remap with new turbo, big bang" and before you know it you're getting clicks galore.

On the Newbie thing, does the community need Corsas to continue? Are there are other examples of online communities that have outgrown their original focal point? I know Overclockers for example spend very little time discussing overclocking... or even computing in most areas!

Is there scope to expand the brand of the site to include the wider Vauxhall marque, or even to become a generic motoring/modifying community?

Some members that had corsas in the early 2000's will now have children approaching driving age, so there's always that opportunity for more members.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ian W

13th Mar 17 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Nothing to stop that group getting busy although the elephant in the room is currently that very few of the people who have joined it actually have Corsas. So there's that old challenge again - newbies.

I think you might have missed the boat with the group though, the Corsa B group is very busy but I can't see why all those people would migrate to the Corsasport group
Generation

13th Mar 17 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

All those nice thread titles so you can see what the topic is about. How about page numbers so you can see where you're up to?

This is half the issue. You're being so close minded to it all.
Like an old person refusing to use self checkout in a supermarket. Stuck in your ways, in a fast moving world.
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Mar 17 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian W
but I can't see why all those people would migrate to the Corsasport group

I think the key with Forums vs Facebook is that in FB you don't NEED to migrate groups. It's bitesized streamed information and providing the CS group is turfing out some good content, there would be no reason why a Corsa B member wouldn't subscribe to both groups.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Mar 17 at 15:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate facebook groups

much rather look through a forum.
Ian W

13th Mar 17 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
but I can't see why all those people would migrate to the Corsasport group

I think the key with Forums vs Facebook is that in FB you don't NEED to migrate groups. It's bitesized streamed information and providing the CS group is turfing out some good content, there would be no reason why a Corsa B member wouldn't subscribe to both groups.

Yep, you're right, the beauty of FB is that it is all there so you don't need to sign up to multiple forums, not sure why that didn't click when I wrote the original reply.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 17 at 15:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

This is half the issue. You're being so close minded to it all.
Like an old person refusing to use self checkout in a supermarket. Stuck in your ways, in a fast moving world.

Not closed minded is it, that's my opinion, it is shit. Many benefits too - mostly its easier to be lazy which massively trumps the usability issue but I take issue with Dave's use of the word fantastic - they're not. They easy but the UI is terrible in my opinion.
Ian
Site Administrator

13th Mar 17 at 15:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
the Corsa B group is very busy but I can't see why all those people would migrate to the Corsasport group

Few reasons, mostly they're going to at some point fall out with people and start saying the group is shit and look elsewhere, that's already happened with the Fiesta group which there are now two mk5 with around the same number of people in (probably the same people TBH)

Plus no issue with being in both

Plus CS are going to continue to smash the shows

Ultimately not much to differentiate a CS group on there from another group except it'll be run by different people. That's half the reason I'm not massively keen to storm in there and try and be something, I think Mark thinks its because I'm an old man with a walking stick who hates change but from a technical perspective I can't see that CS could do much different on that platform.

Ditto my comments about FB software not lasting either, if we missed this wave I'm sure we can catch the next.
Ian W

13th Mar 17 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
the Corsa B group is very busy but I can't see why all those people would migrate to the Corsasport group

Few reasons, mostly they're going to at some point fall out with people and start saying the group is shit and look elsewhere, that's already happened with the Fiesta group which there are now two mk5 with around the same number of people in (probably the same people TBH)

Plus no issue with being in both

Plus CS are going to continue to smash the shows

Ultimately not much to differentiate a CS group on there from another group except it'll be run by different people. That's half the reason I'm not massively keen to storm in there and try and be something, I think Mark thinks its because I'm an old man with a walking stick who hates change but from a technical perspective I can't see that CS could do much different on that platform.

Ditto my comments about FB software not lasting either, if we missed this wave I'm sure we can catch the next.

IMO you can use the shows to really push CS. Their are plenty of members of Corsa B that used to display in the glory days when you had 100 cars, push the Corsasport stand in the run up to the shows and get people involved, I would much rather display with a club with a good history that had a proper setup than a random FB group.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Has CS run its course now? 23 database queries in 0.1905801 seconds