corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What have you done to your network today?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What have you done to your network today?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Aug 16 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Following the same format as cars/house, what have you done to your network today? be it home or work.

I'll start, upgraded Veeam, got a failing juniper switch to replace today and later on will be re-jigging the esxi boxes to use their 10gbe cards we have installed.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 08:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

VPN joined a legal firm to an Azure virtual network, and will be load balancing some VMs in a bit.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 11:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I hate azure VPN with a passion!
pow
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 12:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So did I Vrs - until last week I spent two days sussing it all out, can do a Draytek > Azure VPN in my sleep now

Today I've been writing a staff portal in sharepoint and doing an fasthosts > office365 migration. Becoming an expert in those now, this is my third

[Edited on 10-08-2016 by pow]
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come on lads it's easy, it's like networking aimed at developers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 14:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PS U2U me for all your Azure consultancy needs

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

10th Aug 16 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Setup the ARC on my tv and audio receiver, had to buy a new hdmi cable as couldn't work out why it wasn't working and it turns out i needed a newer cable that supports ARC.

Got so many hdmi cables now. Even the £55 one i got tricked into buying at richer sounds, i know only buy the amazon cheapest ones about £2-3
Aaron

10th Aug 16 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Built a DC today for a new customer in Selby (primary school). Standard stuff like WDS also yada yada.
pow
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T

When you come from a routing and networking and sysadmin background it isn't as logical as it seems on first look, however I get it now. Doh moment when I couldn't connect a RM VM to a classic network (that is VPN connected to a site), so had to download the VM, upload it to a classic storage blob then recreate the VM!
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 19:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
quote:

When you come from a routing and networking and sysadmin background it isn't as logical as it seems on first look, however I get it now. Doh moment when I couldn't connect a RM VM to a classic network (that is VPN connected to a site), so had to download the VM, upload it to a classic storage blob then recreate the VM!

The Classic vs RM thing was an absolute clusterfuck for people trying to coexist both of them. "Peering" has just hit the RM networks in preview so you can link an RM network to a classic network with a few clicks, rather than the old way of "pretending" Classic is an on-prem network and VPN tunneling that way...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

10th Aug 16 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still using mostly classic networks so I can use classic routing VPNs, IKEv1...

Kyle, if you're ever interested in a little networking about networking (hahahaha), drop me a u2u.

[Edited on 10-08-2016 by pow]
DaveyLC

12th Aug 16 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

#gigabitfibre

Some would say overkill for 4 people
willay
Premium Member

12th Aug 16 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Interesting, I'm pretty sure that router doesn't push gigabit speeds - we had ours replaced by Janet with a Junpier one
DaveyLC

12th Aug 16 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Says so on the tin
willay
Premium Member

12th Aug 16 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What does? the NTE will be terminating your 1GB connection but if the 2900 can push enough packets to reach gigabit speeds that is a different matter, and just because an interface is gigabit doesnt mean it can push gigabit...
DaveyLC

12th Aug 16 at 13:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly? Interfaces are all Gigabit on the NTE but no idea if its got the processing power to do it
Dom

12th Aug 16 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
Interesting, I'm pretty sure that router doesn't push gigabit speeds - we had ours replaced by Janet with a Junpier one

IIRC*, WAN throughput of a 2900 is less that 100Mbps; it's not until you hit the 4000 series that it'll be capable of gigabit throughputs.

* Better off talking with your Cisco representative as they keep exact figures pretty hush hush.
willay
Premium Member

12th Aug 16 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

IIRC*, WAN throughput of a 2900 is less that 100Mbps; it's not until you hit the 4000 series that it'll be capable of gigabit throughputs.

* Better off talking with your Cisco representative as they keep exact figures pretty hush hush.

Mate there is a PDF publishing the PPS rates for routing and switching gear... for the last 8 years. No one is going to buy anything if the vendor isn't going to say how much it can push.
Dom

12th Aug 16 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Mate there is a PDF publishing the PPS rates for routing and switching gear... for the last 8 years. No one is going to buy anything if the vendor isn't going to say how much it can push.

This? https://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf
DaveyLC

12th Aug 16 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a bit shit

We're only paying for 100MB bearer at the mo but are debating going for the full 1GB... The lines are good for 1GB+ each.. Seems a bit gash they gave us such a shit router.
DaveyLC

12th Aug 16 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a 2921 so 480KPPS and 245MBPS.. Gayyyy
Dom

12th Aug 16 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought you said you had a Gb

You'll only need to change the 2900 if you opt for a quicker connection but you've gone a bit of an arse about way of doing things if that's your plan
DaveyLC

13th Aug 16 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I said Gb fibre.. Technically two of them
Kyle T
Premium Member

13th Aug 16 at 16:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

BT issuing shit routers seems to be common practice, the last place I worked which was putting a gig link in had to argue tooth n' nail to get a router actually capable of delivering it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Dom

14th Aug 16 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
I said Gb fibre.. Technically two of them

What's Gb about a 100Mb circuit?

quote:
BT issuing shit routers seems to be common practice, the last place I worked which was putting a gig link in had to argue tooth n' nail to get a router actually capable of delivering it

Pretty shite of them to do that but then it all comes down to money/cost. Luckily, a lot of providers know what they're doing and offer reasonable gear.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll