corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » What have you done to your network today?

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author What have you done to your network today?
DaveyLC

User status: Offline
15th Aug 16 at 05:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's only the NTE that is restricted, the lines and the media converters are good for way more &#128077;.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

15th Aug 16 at 14:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the NTE isnt the restriction, its the router (Cisco).

The NTE is the bit of equipment where the fibre is terminated on.
willay
Premium Member

15th Aug 16 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depending on the fibre (and length ofc), it can be capable of up to 100gb.
willay
Premium Member

15th Aug 16 at 14:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Interesting, I'm pretty sure that router doesn't push gigabit speeds - we had ours replaced by Janet with a Junpier one

IIRC*, WAN throughput of a 2900 is less that 100Mbps; it's not until you hit the 4000 series that it'll be capable of gigabit throughputs.

* Better off talking with your Cisco representative as they keep exact figures pretty hush hush.

Mate there is a PDF publishing the PPS rates for routing and switching gear... for the last 8 years. No one is going to buy anything if the vendor isn't going to say how much it can push.

This? https://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

do you even have to ask
willay
Premium Member

15th Aug 16 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ANYWAY, continuing the 10gbe upgrade this week, doing our san nodes this time (HP).... first one went fine sadly the second one has brought up an issue with the disks so waiting for HP to whizz over some disks so I can continue. The way their SAN software is made, when I bring the node back online with the 10gbe interfaces its going to want to completely rebuild the array, so may aswell do the disks at the same time and save myself another unnecessary rebuild.
Aaron

15th Aug 16 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Packaged a load of software today such as AirServer, some lego shit etc. Ready to start building computers and laptops tomorrow.

Oh, installed a new switch in place of a crappy 3Com pile of crap. I'm still amazed at places that still aren't gigabit to desktop.
Dom

15th Aug 16 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
do you even have to ask

What about protocol throughputs?

A lot of manufacturers will list them but I've never seen Cisco openly state details like that; granted, I'm not entirely au fait with Cisco products.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
...are good for way more.

You can attempt to incorrectly justify your comment however you want but a 100Mb circuit is a 100Mb circuit; if it was a Gb circuit/bearer then you'd be right
Although if you thought you'd jump to Gb then I'm not sure why you didn't do 100 over Gb?
willay
Premium Member

15th Aug 16 at 20:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
do you even have to ask

A lot of manufacturers will list them but I've never seen Cisco openly state details like that; granted, I'm not entirely au fait with Cisco products.

I meant you had to post it and ask if that was the docco, which it clearly was. soz! AFAIK its always been posted and I've been touching cisco stuff for 10 years.
DaveyLC

16th Aug 16 at 12:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
do you even have to ask

quote:
...are good for way more.

You can attempt to incorrectly justify your comment however you want but a 100Mb circuit is a 100Mb circuit; if it was a Gb circuit/bearer then you'd be right
Although if you thought you'd jump to Gb then I'm not sure why you didn't do 100 over Gb?

I'm not sure which bit you don't understand? We've got two lines good for 1gb+ we're only paying for a 100mb connection..
Dom

16th Aug 16 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm not sure which bit you don't understand? We've got two lines good for 1gb+ we're only paying for a 100mb connection..

The fact you stated you've got a 100Mb barer and then continuously state you've got a Gb line - barer and bandwidth are not the same, in that the barer is the max. line speed and the bandwidth is 'whatever' up to that eg - 20Mb, 50Mb, 100Mb over 100Mb; or 200Mb over 1Gb etc.

I can only assume you're either confused with terminology or what you've actually got
You've either got a 100Mb barer or a Gb barer and you're doing 100Mb over it. Either way, changing circuits requires 'gear' changes and typically it isn't the most cost effective way of doing things.

Are both lines 'lit'?

quote:
AFAIK its always been posted and I've been touching cisco stuff for 10 years.

Fair enough. As said, can't say i've seen throughput protocol break-downs publicly available from Cisco and in the past i've had to ask representatives for that information.

[Edited on 16-08-2016 by Dom]
willay
Premium Member

16th Aug 16 at 14:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Google is ur friend
DaveyLC

16th Aug 16 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

The fact you stated you've got a 100Mb barer and then continuously state you've got a Gb line - barer and bandwidth are not the same, in that the barer is the max. line speed and the bandwidth is 'whatever' up to that eg - 20Mb, 50Mb, 100Mb over 100Mb; or 200Mb over 1Gb etc.

I can only assume you're either confused with terminology or what you've actually got
You've either got a 100Mb barer or a Gb barer and you're doing 100Mb over it. Either way, changing circuits requires 'gear' changes and typically it isn't the most cost effective way of doing things.

Are both lines 'lit'?

quote:
AFAIK its always been posted and I've been touching cisco stuff for 10 years.

Fair enough. As said, can't say i've seen throughput protocol break-downs publicly available from Cisco and in the past i've had to ask representatives for that information.

[Edited on 16-08-2016 by Dom]

That's going to be some pretty shit Fibre if it can only support 100MB... Think about what you're saying
Aaron

16th Aug 16 at 15:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck this thread.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 05:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Laid over 1km of network cable
willay
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 06:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

urgh steve, how many points
Steve
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 07:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dad and I did over 3k last week, still got a bit of termination to do fml
willay
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 08:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big tings
willay
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 08:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now we wait

Dom

17th Aug 16 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's going to be some pretty shit Fibre if it can only support 100MB... Think about what you're saying

We're talking leased lines, not theoretical limits of fibre optics!

If you've got a 100Mb barer then you're not going beyond that without a circuit/bearer change (usually a bearer is either 10/100/1000/10000Mb) and this requires a bit more than a simple config change and usually ends up with a new contract/agreement. Obviously you can change your bandwidth over the bearer, so 20/100, 50/100 etc, but the max. throughput/bandwidth of the line is the barer link connection.
Which is why if you're going for a 100Mb connection, then typically you'd spec it on a 1000Mb barer as it's vastly easier, and possibly cheaper, to increase the bandwidth beyond this.
The physically fibre cable between NTE/ONT* will be rated a lot higher, this is just stating the obvious , but your connection is not Gb in anyway shape or form if it's a 100Mb bearer. If you had a 1000/10000Mb bearer then sure.

Either way, i am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but in typical knuckle-dragger Davey fashion, you're continuously being balshy on a subject you seem to be struggling at
However, i'd really recommend that you read around lease lines (nice little jargon buster for you), specifically circuits/bearer and bandwidth, as not only is it an interesting subject but you'll actually understand the product you have.

* As Willay mentions, the router/firewall typically governs the bandwidth on the line; and iirc (could be wrong), the NTE/ONT governs the overall line speed/bearer.

Edit - Bringing this all back on topic, in a few weeks i'm going to be implementing a full Mac network with OSX Server.....FML

[Edited on 17-08-2016 by Dom]
pow
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 10:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think we've established that Davey has a 100MB link on 1GB barer, the Cisco will be up to the job of that
DaveyLC

17th Aug 16 at 13:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DomEither way, i am trying to give you the benefit of the doubt but in typical knuckle-dragger Davey fashion, you're continuously being balshy on a subject you seem to be struggling at
[Edited on 17-08-2016 by Dom]

All I know is I can phone BT now and they'll bump it to 1GB and we'll get a fat invoice..
pow
Premium Member

17th Aug 16 at 15:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And they will have to send you a new router to deal with that.
DaveyLC

17th Aug 16 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would appear so..
Dom

17th Aug 16 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
All I know is I can phone BT now and they'll bump it to 1GB and we'll get a fat invoice..

If it's just a bandwidth increase then as Pow says, it'll be a Gb bearer. If that's the case then at least the invoice won't be as bad as having to get the circuit changed - i've seen this happen and the provider attempted to charge the full installation cost of a Gb circuit, slight pee-take when the fibre was already blown into the building and terminated.

Just out of curiosity, was there a particular reason for going with BT directly over a different supplier?

quote:
Originally posted by pow
And they will have to send you a new router to deal with that.

I wonder what BT do send out for Gb links

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll