corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Two IP ranges on one router.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Two IP ranges on one router.
Ian W

User status: Offline
7th Jul 10 at 07:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quick network question...

Two buildings with one network connection between them currently running a single network range.

I really need to get a second network setup on a different IP range so I can seperate the network.

Anyone suggest if this is possible and the best way to do this?
Neo

7th Jul 10 at 08:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a managed switch if you have one, set up a vlan and assign it a range you want.
Ian W

7th Jul 10 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye, got a managed switch in each building so hopefully that should do it. Cheers

[Edited on 07-07-2010 by Ian W]
Neo

7th Jul 10 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bart

7th Jul 10 at 09:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could you not just use a different subnet range?

Im not a networking guru.
Neo

7th Jul 10 at 09:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically yes bart, if you only want a few machines on the second range then it wouldn't take very long at all, If however you wanted a lot of computers, its far quicker to just create a vlan and patch the vlan through to the wall sockets you want on the vlan.

Far less hassle if you want to add a computer on quickly.
Tim
Site Administrator

7th Jul 10 at 10:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you can isolate each VLAN within a building then you avoid a geo-stretched broadcast domain. I assume your inter-building links are not the same line rate as the access ports?

To get the benefits though you'd really need a router per site (and routers than can support multiple (virtual) interfaces) to avoid L2 traffic between buildings...
Aaron

7th Jul 10 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What Tim said.
pow
Premium Member

7th Jul 10 at 21:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just VLAN the fucker
Ian W

7th Jul 10 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, been trying to find a guide for my switches to set this up today but no luck.

I setup a new vlan on each switch but there isn't many options in there, just give a new VLAN a name and then choose what ports go in it?

Surely its more involved than that?
pow
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 07:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope that's about it, you choose which ports go on which VLAn, essentially just creating two separte virtual switches. You might need to make some sort of VLAN trunking port that traffic from both VLANs can leave by to the outside world
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 07:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two vlans will essentially be two different networks, each VLAN should use its own IP range so traffic is completely seperate. If you want to link the two networks up it depends on how its all connected up physically but one of the easiest way is routing on a stick, essentially one of the ports is set to trunk so it sees both VLANS, connected to that port is a router which can do VLAN trunking and will have an ip address on each VLAN using sub-interfaces. The router will then see both network ranges in its routing table and depending on the router it should just route between the two AS LONG AS machines on each network have a default route/a route to the other network using the address of the router thats in the middle. Obviously that default route will be different depending on what VLAN/ip range you're on.

OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by willay]
Ian W

8th Jul 10 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, thanks for the replys, I think i'm starting to get it.

Going to try and have a play with it today.

No doubt be back later with more questions though
Ian W

8th Jul 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, each building now has the VLAN's setup and working on the seperate switches.

Now the bit I can't get my head around.

Basically here is my problem..

Building A

Managed Switch - 2 VLANS

VLAN 1 - DATA DHCP 1
VLAN 2 - VOIP DHCP 2

Building B

Managed Switch - 2 VLANS

VLAN 1 - DATA IP obtained from DCHP 1
VLAN 2 - VOIP IP obtained from DCHP 2

1GBPS cable linking the buildings.

How do I get a port in VLAN 2 in building 2 to get a IP address from the DHCP 2 server in building 1?

I was thinking something along the lines of just adding the port that connects the two buildings into both VLAN's but then I don't see how it will know what DHCP server to request to?

[Edited on 08-07-2010 by Ian W]
pow
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 10:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a trunking port between the two switches, that'll pass on DHCP requests!
Ian W

8th Jul 10 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
You need a trunking port between the two switches, that'll pass on DHCP requests!

So I have two ports on the DHCP side, each port has a dhcp server plugged in and then I trunk them?

Do I use a trunk on the switch in building two aswell?
pow
Premium Member

8th Jul 10 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, you only need to trunk between two switches
willay
Premium Member

11th Jul 10 at 14:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes, you need to connect the two switches to each other using a cross-over cable, and then setup the port for trunk, depending on your platform (cisco) its switchport access trunk, or switchport trunk on its own, as long as the ports connected up fine and have no duplex problems it should be fine.

Also, you can get a DHCP server to serve two different VLANS, basically you put the dhcp on one vlan with an ip address, then on the switch you need to configure the vlan that hasnt got a dhcp server in it with a 'ip helper address', which basically specifics the ip of the dhcp server and forwards requests to it.

I think.

[Edited on 11-07-2010 by willay]
pow
Premium Member

11th Jul 10 at 19:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ip helper address, that was it.

What equipment are you using?
Ian W

11th Jul 10 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm using two Netgear Smart Switches.

I'm not sure what cable type runs between the switches, it runs underneath the car park and is accessed via an rj45 port in each server room so a bit hard to play with I'm pretty sure its a straight cable though.

I've come across terminology when i've been looking at this and it seems different companies use the same word for different things.

pow
Premium Member

11th Jul 10 at 20:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can always reterminate or just stick an RJ-45 coupler on one end and stick a x-over cable on there to make it a crossover cable. You basically wanna make that cable a "trunking" cable (by making the switchports trunked on either side) and setup your vlan's by ports
Ian W

11th Jul 10 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ye I was playing with trunking the other day, when I tried to trunk the ports though it said they both had to be in the same VLAN which sort of made the whole VLAN thing pointless

I think the term Trunking has different meanings between manufacturers, Netgear appear to use the term to just team to ports together?

I've been developing too long now, lost all my techy k-now-how
willay
Premium Member

12th Jul 10 at 07:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

netgear ugh, yeah the trunking ports are basically trunking both VLAN's down the wire so VLAN A on both switches are in the same broadcast/collision domain.
Steve
Premium Member

12th Jul 10 at 08:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv got two ips in my pants
Ian W

12th Jul 10 at 11:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
netgear ugh, yeah the trunking ports are basically trunking both VLAN's down the wire so VLAN A on both switches are in the same broadcast/collision domain.

Ye, sadly I don't get the budget for cisco switches and stuff

Its ultimetly going to be easier to get a decent router firewall that can take in multiple wan connections and just filter VOIP data down a seperate WAN to the regular data traffic.

New Poll