corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » please help with my network problem !!!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author please help with my network problem !!!
Mase
Premium Member

User status: Offline
13th Jan 06 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm living in a rented house and the housing company who own it provided us with a belkin 54g wireless router.

The problem is that it seems to loose the wireless signal at times, which means that if i'm on poker room or buying something online, its not much use !!

I've found that if i ping the router when my system says its still connected, sometimes i get a 'hardware error' and a majority of the time i get 'request timed out' for all 4 tests...

Now the housing place are trying to tell me that the link probably went down because "someone walked in the way of the signal" and that the "x-box is probably stopping the wireless working" as its wired in. Now i'm not overly clued up on networks, but i think this is complete bull !!

Does it sound like the router is knackered to you ???

Mase
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
13th Jan 06 at 22:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ping failure is because the wireless link is down - how far away is the computer?
Mase
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2nd floor and the router is on the ground floor, but the connection ranges from 1mb up to around 30ish mb's, so the connection is ok. All the other lads in our house have the same problem and they are on the 1st floor, probably 10-15m from the router.

Mase
_Allan_

13th Jan 06 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What is the signal strength like?

Both the g/f and m8 have both just got one of these. They are quite good but reading reviews seem to struggle in keeping signal strength and connection when faced with a few walls.

Mase
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 22:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ranges from 1mb at the worst and goes up to around 30mb'ish, but i don't transfer files between computers on the network, so as long as its above 2mb is, which it usually is, then i'm ok !!

Mase
Bart

13th Jan 06 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can the router be re-positioned so its in a more central place of the house?

as long as you've still got the same phone line through the house, you should be able to move it.
Its either that or... upgrade the hardware which could get more expensive
_Allan_

13th Jan 06 at 23:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mase5
ranges from 1mb at the worst and goes up to around 30mb'ish, but i don't transfer files between computers on the network, so as long as its above 2mb is, which it usually is, then i'm ok !!

Thing is though that sounds poor. Upstairs in the g/f 's and mates I can get 50-54mbps constant with the signal dropping to 4 occasionally. As low as 1mbps sounds poor and even at 30 aint good. Can you test nearer to the router?

It's true that someone blocking the signal sitting next to the PC/Laptop can lower the rate but only a few mbps.

How many people use the router and roughly at anyone time?

You might want to consider upgrading to 108 mbps if there is a lot of people but this would mean new wifi cards/usb dongle etc...if they wanted to get a better rate.
Mase
Premium Member

13th Jan 06 at 23:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i've just got a 108mb dongle, which shows 54mbps on the icon in the taskbar a majority of the time. We could re-position it, but even when your right next to the router on wireless, it keeps goin off !!! At the min, cos everyone is having trouble getting on, theres probably only 1 on wireless and the x-box, which is wired straight to the router.

[Edited on 13-01-2006 by mase5]

Mase
_Allan_

14th Jan 06 at 00:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure of the direct xbox connection setup but has anyone removed this and see if anything improves?.

If your right next to it and all the setup, SSID, security, account setup seems right then it could well be a faulty router.

Do you know anyone you can borrow a spare off to test?
Mase
Premium Member

14th Jan 06 at 01:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, i'm gonna go to the housing place on monday an hopefully they'll have another in i can test...

Mase

New Poll