corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » EU exit or stay?

Poll: EU exit or stay?
LEAVE 65 (63.11%)
STAY 38 (36.89%)

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author EU exit or stay?
Steve
Premium Member

User status: Offline
3rd Jun 16 at 09:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/david-cameron-eu-referendum-net-migration-target

“There is little realistic prospect that the government’s EU reform proposals, if agreed, would reduce EU migration by many tens of thousands,” the thinktank suggested. “Yet that is what would be needed for there to be any real-world prospect of the government having a chance of fulfilling its ambition to get overall net migration below 100,000.
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
And what are these trades we do with these countries? Someone name some?

Sorry just saw this.. Not even sure why I'm going to waste my time replying but I shall think of it as helping a less fortunate person.

Being a member of the EU means we can trade with any other EU member and not incur export/import duties this means our products and exports are competitive within the EU.

This is a car site so I'll give you a topical example: Honda and Nissan are based in Swindon, they build cars there for the EU market, these Japanese manufacturers do this because we are considered a gateway to the EU, they have invested millions if not billions into their Swindon operations, the sale of these cars can only remain competitive while they don't incur export duties, the moment you add the duties the retail price has to increase or the profit margin has to decrease so the entire UK operation does not become viable and will be moved.

There are tens of thousands of other non-EU countries who either have UK operations or simply export to the UK for distribution within the EU.

To have some kind of blinkered view that we don't export anything and these trade deals are not important is just retarded to be quite frank!
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jan/04/david-cameron-eu-referendum-net-migration-target

“There is little realistic prospect that the government’s EU reform proposals, if agreed, would reduce EU migration by many tens of thousands,” the thinktank suggested. “Yet that is what would be needed for there to be any real-world prospect of the government having a chance of fulfilling its ambition to get overall net migration below 100,000.

You're missing the point.. Leaving the EU DOES NOT FIX IMMIGRATION
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 09:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/latest-net-migration-figures-show-8053132
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 09:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

You're missing the point.. Leaving the EU DOES NOT FIX IMMIGRATION

Of course it can, you even highlight how in your own post

quote:

The immigration rules were reformed this year mainly for non-EU migrants! EU freedom of movement rules cant be challenged

sc0ott

3rd Jun 16 at 09:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leaving the eu will give the uk its power back to make these decisions and not have some modern day eu Nazi decide for us.
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Of course it can, you even highlight how in your own post

quote:

The immigration rules were reformed this year mainly for non-EU migrants! EU freedom of movement rules cant be challenged

EU immigration is not a REAL issue though... The majority are employed and their welfare costs are subsidised by their home state.. Only a small number actually neutralise as UK citizens.

The subsequent return of millions of ex-pats (if we leave the EU) is a much more serious issue
sc0ott

3rd Jun 16 at 10:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So daveylc, did Cameron reduce immigration below the figure he told us? Or did it increase well over the figure?
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
So daveylc, did Cameron reduce immigration below the figure he told us? Or did it increase well over the figure?

No he didn't.. But we haven't had the figures for 2016 yet..

An active effort has been made to reduce the number of Non-EU net migration.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jun 16 at 10:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I still think the whole trading benefits is a con. Its not a benefit to us, its a benefit to large companies, they won't and don't pass on any savings to us, its just to increase the profit margins.

Which again, is why big multi millionaire companies are saying its bad, they could still survive, they just need to be more realistic.

Where does all their profit sit? Why isn't this dead money helping the whole country and not just sat in a few big fat cats bank account.

Does one man really need £100million sat in a bank to feel secure?

sc0ott

3rd Jun 16 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Have you been living under a rock? You said he did.

quote:
Yes, the immigration that we can control has been reduced.. He never promised to control movement from the EU because he cant do that.. That would be like me promising to make 3CM intelligent.
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Have you been living under a rock? You said he did.

quote:
Yes, the immigration that we can control has been reduced.. He never promised to control movement from the EU because he cant do that.. That would be like me promising to make 3CM intelligent.

I said it Has been reduced and it has..
Ellis

3rd Jun 16 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I still think the whole trading benefits is a con. Its not a benefit to us, its a benefit to large companies, they won't and don't pass on any savings to us, its just to increase the profit margins.

Slightly short sighted there. Are you not familiar with the princinples of capitalism.

Large company success means more jobs, more jobs generates more for tax for the economy + an economic boost to the area in which the jobs are created. Any inability, or difficultly, to trade with an existing/new partner will undoubtedly make a large private organisation reconsider its trading location.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jun 16 at 13:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't like big companies, full of made up job titles to make people feel important, people filing paper and saying they have done a hard days work.
Ian
Site Administrator

3rd Jun 16 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The issue with big companies leaving is places like Nissan / Mini / JLR etc. who have manufacturing here will not be able to export as cheaply. Like it or not they are large employers.

Quite why the EU would impose tariffs when the UK is a big market for them I'm not clear.

You're talking about disincentivising UK manufacture so far that it moves abroad whilst also lying down and allowing imports without an equivalent penalty on the European manufacturers.

The EU are not going to want, nor is the UK going to accept such an asymmetric deal.
DaveyLC

3rd Jun 16 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can't tell them Ian lol..
Steve
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 18:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's saying its unlikely that all deals with EU wiill be off if we leave? cool if you agree with that too
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jun 16 at 21:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I reckon alot of the best hi tech/fancy cars/hifi/airguns stuff we make, we sell outside the EU.

You only really buy something with "made in England' on it if you want a top end product. Not mass produced phones /cars etc. Can't see these pikey countries buying the good stuff.

Outside the EU trading is obviously working fine. Big companies that have just factories employing unskilled labour are probably employing mainly eu immigrants anyway, so creating jobs and then moving people in from abroad, they take the jobs and then take the money back home. Daylight robbery imo
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 21:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

40% of my business is EU based; 40% UK and 20% ROW. The main issue for us will be the customs hold ups; I can ship to anywhere within the EU within 2 days however, shipping to Norway or Switzerland inevitably incurs a customs hold-up and takes around 4-5days. Further to this, I can ship almost our entire inventory into Europe but I cannot ship small quantities of Dangerous Goods into Norway because no couriers offer a HazMat service between the UK and Norway. Our main competitor is in Germany but generally we're more successful as we're cheaper, however, increasing from 1-2 days to 4-5 days as well as the paperwork hassle of sending goods through customs will definitely send some customers elsewhere where they won't have the same issues.

For me, we catagorically need to stay in. Small/medium export business based in the UK which don't have facilities actually in Europe will be hugely, negatively impacted. We're estimating a 50% drop in EU sales which is a 20% impact on our business - if this happens, we'll have to lose at least 10-20% of our staff. Multiply that across all of the businesses of a similar size and it simply doesn't seem to be worth the risk.
3CorsaMeal

3rd Jun 16 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i buy something from Germany it takes 4-6weeks to get to me. That's from vw classic parts.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Jun 16 at 22:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would take even longer if it had to clear through customs; trade agreements don't circumnavigate customs.
Tiger

3rd Jun 16 at 22:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yet I can get a 100kg crate of spares to Hong Kong in 5 days...fuck the EU.
Ojc

3rd Jun 16 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can get crates of rubber dog shits out of Saigon in an hour
3CorsaMeal

4th Jun 16 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's numberwang mate.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Jun 16 at 08:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » EU exit or stay? 24 database queries in 0.0188551 seconds