corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread

New Poll
  <<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official 2016 F1 Thread
Ben G

User status: Offline
16th May 16 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So now we can actually access this website, can we discuss the weekends events?

I see it as 50:50 in terms of blame. Lewis maybe shouldn't have been so aggressive against his team mate, though he is a true racer, hence why he went for the gap.

Nico is just an idiot who fucked up his engine setting, then aggressively pushed Lewis off the track.

The images show Lewis had enough of his car by the side of Nico, to enable Nico to have to leave a gap, though it all happened so quick that it meant contact was inevitable.

The pair of them need to sort it out for the sake of the team.

In terms of racing though, fantastic!!! So happy for Max. I genuinely believed Kimi would overtake him, but the guy is just awesome. Can't wait to see him mature and get even better.

Ricciardo being shown up by a debutant, although partly.due to the team messing the strategies up.
Jambo

16th May 16 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree 50:50 just a racing incident. Did well to only happen so spectacularly once tbh.

One of those things, expect they both got a dressing down from Arnie
Ben G

16th May 16 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used to like Niki Lauda. Now he just seems like an old moron who just runs his mouth. Media probably love it. Doubt Mercedes do though.
whitter45

16th May 16 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only watched up to lap 31 as I was on Heathrow Tarmac waiting for the plane to take off
Both define you at fault but for me Lewis didn't need to take that risk imo

Shocked to hear NL actually blame his love child although again his opinion is massively out of context

Didn't see max win but reports I am reading in Canada suggest he did very well

Can't wait for Austria now
Jambo

16th May 16 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I love Lauda. No fucks given.
Ellis

17th May 16 at 08:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was initially siding with NR on this given he was in front. I felt LH was driving into an ever reducing wedge, which he should've known with his experience. After reading the sporting regs, I'm more in the 50/50 camp and I believe the stewards got it right.

quote:
FIA Sporting Regulations Paragraph 27.7
Any driver defending his position on a straight, and before any braking area, may use the full width of the track during his first move, provided no significant portion of the car attempting to pass is alongside his. Whilst defending in this way the driver may not leave the track without justifiable reason.

For the avoidance of doubt, if any part of the front wing of the car attempting to pass is alongside the rear wheel of the car in front this will be deemed to be a ‘significant portion’.

NR was defending his position but LH had, IMO, a 'significant' portion of his car alongside. The pictures I've seen show the front wing level with NR rear tyre whilst both cars are within the white lines.

Overall, I'm glad it was declared a 'racing incident' and we move on with neither driver receiving a penalty or reprimand.

Monaco should be interesting next weekend
Jambo

17th May 16 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For me the issue is the speed.

Nico was going significantly slower than Lewis, due to him being in the wrong mode. Lewis would have closed on that gap far far quicker thank Nico would have expected him too and presumably quicker than he also expected it to happen.

Given what Nico was doing at the time with switching modes, looking ahead, looking in mirror etc then I don't see how anyone could have reacted quicker. It is just one of those situations and rightly confirmed as a racing incident/accident.

Ben G

17th May 16 at 14:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed there, Jambo. 17 kph.is quite a significant speed increase and it was just one of those things. Nico was aggressive in closing the door, but Lewis was also aggressive with the dive down the inside.

If they slapped a penalty on either driver for this, you'd never get any overtakes ever again.

Sometimes those overtakes pay off, sometimes they don't.

What I want to know is why Lewis felt he had to go for that gap. Why could he not go for the outside? May have lost out into T4 but would have the better run into T5.
Ellis

17th May 16 at 14:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re the overtaking; Vettel moaning on the radio when Ricciardo tried a move at T1 got my back up a bit.

I don't understand what it is he expects. Does he want everyone to drive behind in a procession because he's a 4-time world champion.
Ben G

17th May 16 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that was a bit foolish of Vettel. I think maybe he's a bit worried after the last 2 races. Probably thought another red bull was gonna crash into him again

It was a risky move by Ricciardo, but perfectly legitimate.
whitter45

17th May 16 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Yeah that was a bit foolish of Vettel. I think maybe he's a bit worried after the last 2 races. Probably thought another red bull was gonna crash into him again

It was a risky move by Ricciardo, but perfectly legitimate.

agree and then he makes a statement after the race at f1.com saying he would have made the same move as ricciardo

Ellis

18th May 16 at 08:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thoughts on this? Does slightly sway me towards pointing the blame at NR.

Ben G

18th May 16 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's entitled to defend his position with one move. Doesn't have to be on the racing line.
Ellis

18th May 16 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it serves as further proof how malicious and spiteful the relationship between the drivers is.

If I was a team boss, I'd perhaps look at options to exit one of them come end of season.
Ben G

18th May 16 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will happen with every team unless one understands they're a number 2 driver.
Jambo

18th May 16 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Far too muchb prejudice in F1 really. What Ricciardo did was fine, Seb moaned (can you blame him) as a certain Russian has hit him off the track twice because of a move like this. Also the move is very banzai Raikonnen which everyone would have slated him for.

Seb also came out and said he would have done the same as DR in a post race interview.

RE: the above agree with what Ben is saying tbh.
tom130691
Premium Member

26th May 16 at 09:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Running people off only works on the out side, do it on the inside there will always be a crash,

I blame nico fully, he gave no option but a crash, I dont think lewis had any options to avoid the crash due to the overspeed
Tiger

26th May 16 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Button set to be replaced by Vandoorne at Maclaren.
Ben G

27th May 16 at 02:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plenty of action in fp1 and 2. Pretty much everyone crashed at some point
Ellis

27th May 16 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
Plenty of action in fp1 and 2. Pretty much everyone crashed at some point

I'm sure it's a totally different story when you're behind the wheel but some of the offs were

Magnussen at turn 18 (IIRC) was

Haryanto losing it after the tunnel would've been shit scary. Noticed the Haas' were getting a bit sideways under braking; enough to raise the heartbeat I dare say.

Jenson wiping out his front end with that drain cover was quite scary. Predicting halo/canopy/HSE lovers will latch on that.
Ben G

27th May 16 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Halo would not stop the drain cover. It's just a freak accident. Some poor French labourer is getting his arse kicked for that

Magnussens one was just weird. Not sure what he was doing. Also Massa, he must hate T1 so much by now.
Ben G

28th May 16 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lewis with car trouble......yet again. Bored of it now.
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th May 16 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's getting a bit dull ain't it! When we saw a glimpse of Nasr coming out of the tunnel pluming smoke out the back I immediately assumed it was Lewis

DR's lap was mental, crazy good and deserves the hype. I'm not sure I can see what everybody is honking about re: the "blinding" strategy of setting Q2 lap on SS rather than US.

With SS he'll be:

a) At risk off the line
b) At risk of undercut
c) Strategy completely wasted if there's a (likely) SC in the first stint
d) Strategy completely wasted if it rains

Only benefit is that he can stay out on track for longer and has a better chance of getting back out on track for stint 2 in clear air... but round Monaco the odds of something disrupting that are massive.

Different isn't always better...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

28th May 16 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I forgot to mention Max Verstappen Hero to Zero moment just goes to show the smallest error's have the costliest mistakes around the Monaco circuit.
Tiger

29th May 16 at 09:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking to be a wet race today, that makes me look forward to it that little bit more!

<<  7    8    9    10    11    12    13  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official 2016 F1 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0305772 seconds