corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sonos with big CD collection

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sonos with big CD collection
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Jul 15 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What's the way to go? Rip CD's and put on NAS?

If so, which NAS? Needs to be plug and play.

What's the other solutions?

It's for my parents. I recommended just throwing the CD's in storage and signing up for Spotify, but it's not an option, apparently.

Dom

27th Jul 15 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

NAS is the easiest option and rip the collection to FLAC. Look at Synology or QNap as both are pretty easy to setup and it might be worth employing a raid array (mirroring/raid 1 etc) as a fail safe in the event of hard drive failure.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

28th Jul 15 at 23:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CDs? What do they want those horrible things hanging around the house for. They have to store them on shelves and everything.....

Deezer or Spotify required! If they don't want that then Sonos probably isn't for them

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Balling
Premium Member

29th Jul 15 at 07:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
CDs? What do they want those horrible things hanging around the house for.
They don't. Hence the need for a NAS or other storage solution.

Dom, what you're suggesting doesn't sound very plug and play.

Obviously ripping the CD's aren't an issue. Any Mac software that does it better/faster than iTunes?

Could you recommend a specific model? There seems to be quite a few options.

Anything wrong with going with an out of the box solution like Western Digital?

Dom

29th Jul 15 at 09:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
Dom, what you're suggesting doesn't sound very plug and play.

Tbh, i'm sure what's so difficult about using a NAS - purchase a NAS (+ hard drives if you went barebones); attached it to your network and set it up, QNap/Synology have pretty simple wizards that'll guide you through it all; create a network share (call it 'Music' etc) and add it to your PC/MAC (mac - cmd + k, type in the NAS IP address eg - smb://192.168.0.10 etc); rip your CD's to the network share using something like >Max<; then point your Sonos to your NAS.

Reason i mentioned Synology and QNap NAS devices is because they have very simple interfaces, Synology more so as it's all big icons and colourful
I'm sure a WD, Buffalo etc would be fine but i've never really had much experience of them. Although personally i'd stay away from Drobo as they use (or certainly did use at one point) their own filesystem, which'd make it a pain in the event the hardware failed and you needing access to the data.

As for models, something like a Synology DS214se/DS215j would suffice - i'd opt for the 215j personally; roughly £20 difference and it's dual core and twice the ram, which'll make it a better experience.

New Poll