corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Soundbars

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Soundbars
dannymccann

User status: Offline
   28th Dec 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking for something unobtrusive to go with my Samsung UE40D5500, currently has the 360 and bluray plugged in. I'm not a massive audio buff so not looking for Bang & Olufsson, just something with a bit more punch.

Any reviews of your own / ideas? Want to spend under 100 really
evilrob
Premium Member

28th Dec 13 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

100 quid's worth of soundbar isn't going to sound much better than just your telly in my opinion.

I heard an LG one that came with a sub, and was about £250 that sounded alright; I don't think it's worth bothering for much less than around the £200-250 mark.

edit: it was this one:
http://www.whathifi.com/review/lg-nb3520a

You can probably pick one up second hand for £100-150.

[Edited on 28-12-2013 by evilrob]
sc0ott

29th Dec 13 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think thats the one i have or its identical if not. Came free with my LG tele. Theyre very good especially with the sub turned on.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

29th Dec 13 at 10:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got the lg with wireless sub. It's the long bar to go with my 50" TV. Was around £250-£300 about 5 months ago. It's a brilliant bit of kit. Has Bluetooth to so can connect to iPhone.

http://www.lemass.co.uk/ for all your automotive/bodyshop needs
Located in Chalfont st Peter
dannymccann

29th Dec 13 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'll keep an eye out second hand, not really got 250 to spend on something that won't see a massive amount of use, Bluetooth would be good though as a speaker dock
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

At £100 you should probably be looking at a 2.1 PC speaker setup. A soundbar isn't realistic at that budget.

Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Something like this might suit you
http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/cambridge-audio/minx-m5/camb-minx-m5

Edit: This is a superb deal if your local to any of the stores:
http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/BOST-SNDWARE-XS-2.1B/Boston+Soundware+Xs+Digi+Cinema+21+Blk.html
or
http://www.richersounds.com/showclearanceproduct/BOST-SNDWARE-XS-2.1W/Boston+Soundware+Xs+Digi+Cinema+21+Wht.html

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by Balling]

dannymccann

30th Dec 13 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't really want a separate sub if I can help it, nor satellite speakers, just an 'all in one' bar that you barely notice (gloss black TV and gloss black glass stand). Got enough wires trailing about all over the place as it is, but thanks for trying. I've never seen an actual Richer Sounds store, but then we've only just got the internet here in Lincolnshire so we are a bit behind the times!
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The smaller/slimmer the speakers/soundbar, the greater the need for a subwoofer to cover the lower/midrange frequencies.

A small/slim speaker won't be able to generate any decent amount of bass due to the dimensions.

Without a subwoofer, you're not going to get much in the way of an improvement in sound as the speakers won't be that much better than the ones in your telly!

You can put the subwoofer out of sight - behind the sofa or wherever.

For your budget and dislike of wires, you won't get a better sound than a pair of good wireless headphones. I have some Sennheiser RS-170 digital (not RF) wireless headphones that create as (un)convincing a surround sound effect as soundbars costing several times as much. Also means you can go as loud as you want any time of day or night without upsetting anyone. Headphones are particularly good if you watch a lot of dialogue-heavy movies.

[Edited on 30-12-2013 by evilrob]
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
I don't really want a separate sub
Like Rob said, forget about getting more punch in a compact package, without a sub.

Tiger

30th Dec 13 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From my experience, the soundbars I've heard have been pants until you get to £350+
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 16:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
From my experience, the soundbars I've heard have been pants until you get to £350+

^ this. (with the exception of that LG one mentioned earlier which was actually alright for £250)
sc0ott

30th Dec 13 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its a wireless sub so you can easily hide it and you can still play sound through the sounbar with it turned off. Mines is at the back of the room in the corner behind the sofa.
Tomnova16
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in richer sounds for ages. They wired up pretty much every bar in stock and replayed the same Russian explosion scene in the latest mission impossible.
This LG was by far the best followed closely by the circa £400 Yamaha
All the others sounded tinny and those that had no seperate sub sounded like the sub wasn't turned on.

In short if you don't want a stand alone sub then stick with the standard tv speakers.

baza31

2nd Jan 14 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tomnova16
I was in richer sounds for ages. They wired up pretty much every bar in stock and replayed the same Russian explosion scene in the latest mission impossible.
This LG was by far the best followed closely by the circa £400 Yamaha
All the others sounded tinny and those that had no seperate sub sounded like the sub wasn't turned on.

In short if you don't want a stand alone sub then stick with the standard tv speakers.

Did you listen to the high end yamaha ones? There was a demonstration on one that was about £1400 sounded excellent
Gary
Premium Member

2nd Jan 14 at 14:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1400!! Fuck that, you could get a high end 5.1 system for that
Tomnova16
Premium Member

2nd Jan 14 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went up to about £600

Scotty_B

6th Jan 14 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Completely disagree. I have an Panasonic E6 series and the sound is terrible as it is with most LED backlit TVs so I bought a Yamaha YAS-101 and it sounds superb. Got it for £90, doesn't shake the room but has added great depth to the sound.

Well worth the money.
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Jan 14 at 17:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
quote:

Completely disagree. I have an Panasonic E6 series and the sound is terrible as it is with most LED backlit TVs so I bought a Yamaha YAS-101 and it sounds superb. Got it for £90, doesn't shake the room but has added great depth to the sound.

Well worth the money.

Good call; that one actually has some degree of subwoofer built-in. Not heard it myself, but Yamaha are generally the daddies of soundbars.

It does stand quite tall, though at 10.7cm - luckily it has an IR repeater so even if it obscures the remote control IR sensor on the telly, it shouldn't be a problem. Worth noting it only has optical inputs, but I imagine the OP's telly has an optical out.

I can't seem to find it anywhere for less than £150 though.

[Edited on 06-01-2014 by evilrob]
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Jan 14 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the Sonos stuff. Playbar looks/sounds great.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
evilrob
Premium Member

6th Jan 14 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VegasPhil
I like the Sonos stuff. Playbar looks/sounds great.

I agree, until you try to play anything DTS encoded through it.
Mertin

12th Jan 14 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get yourself to Currys. They have a samsung one reduced from £360 to £180. Wireless sub and bluetooth aswell. Im really impressed with mine.
Was thinking of a sonus one before this to use as a soundbar for tv / and music but the price is pretty steep!
baza31

13th Jan 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mertin
Get yourself to Currys. They have a samsung one reduced from £360 to £180. Wireless sub and bluetooth aswell. Im really impressed with mine.
Was thinking of a sonus one before this to use as a soundbar for tv / and music but the price is pretty steep!

What's model and what does it sound like
baza31

13th Jan 14 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
£1400!! Fuck that, you could get a high end 5.1 system for that

I could be wrong but i think it said 7.1
dannymccann

14th Jan 14 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rob, I think it has an Optical Out, although it's too big to get behind to check without pulling it all out

Anyway, the soundbar will have to wait, I appear to have misplaced both of my motorbike keys so got to find the cash to get those replaced and push bike to work until it's sorted

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll