corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Speaker Docks

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Speaker Docks
Pablo

User status: Offline
30th Oct 09 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.orbitsound.com/product.asp?id=3&admetasaid=1210249

Hense this mate? Got some good reveiws
DaveyLC

30th Oct 09 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:
Originally posted by Dom
If you mean, what's the point of using a digital media player on a tubed amp, then it's no different to using a CD/DVD player.

CD audio isnt compressed.. It can be a like for like recording.. For example if you made a live recording you wont lose any clarity.

You're right, CD isn't compressed however most recordings aren't 'like for like'. Infact most of the time you're not recording at 44k @ 16bit, you'd have your sampling rate set at 48/88.2/96KHz @ 24 or 32bit, so when it comes to downsampling for CD (44k/16) you tend loose data (or clarity as you put it) from what was originally recorded. However, taking onboard Nyquist's theory, recording at high sampling rates like 96KHz, which gives a maximum recording frequency of 48KHz (half of the SR - twice what a human can audible hear), you can also end up with a lot more overtones and harmonics creeping into recording come downsampling.

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
My point is how can you make an MP3 compressed track sound better?

Technically, you can't, as they say 'you can't polish a turd'.
But then no one said that using a tube'd amp makes a compressed track sound better, it sounds different, as john said, it's then up to your whether auidbly it sounds better to using a digital amp.

Edit - Although the input source (mp3 stream for example) is constant you can add auible information back into the sound - ie: a lot of sound docks will EQ input source to add data back into the bottom and low ends. Also, due to design in the preamp and amp stages, different amps (be it tubed or IC/transistor) will change the sound in someway. So again, there isn't a technical better, it's whether audible sounds changes the amp does on the input source sounds 'better' to you.

I constantly have this conversation with the old man - him developing sound level meters where it's crucial that the data is as accurate as possible (both analog and digital realms), uses 99.9% flat response mics that have to be able to measure grass growing etc (thinks distortion is bollocks, whether it be that of a tube adding it or different cables used adding distortion) and me, sound engineer, who believes analog is great and added distortion (to the signal chain) is a bonus.

Anyways, way off topic

[Edited on 30-10-2009 by Dom]

To be fair I havent heard a valve amp since I was into Amature Radio as a kid but then the sources were shitty HF signals.

Is it like the argument between Plasma and LCD where as LCD is technically superior but a lot of people prefer the softness of plasma as its easier on the eye?
John

30th Oct 09 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yip people like the 'warmth' of the valve amps.

I'd rather have as close a representation to the original as possible.
Dom

30th Oct 09 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Yip people like the 'warmth' of the valve amps.

I'd rather have as close a representation to the original as possible.

In which case you'd play everything through a pair of monitors (what i currently do, wouldn't recommend it) rather than HiFi speakers (which often have a "smile" frequency response - increased gain on the high and lows) and have a room to match (acoustically treated allowing for the monitors to provide a near enough flat-response output).
However, it certainly isn't a "nice" way of listening to music. Long exposure to monitors usually results in 'ear fatigue' (basically TTS, Temporary Threshold Shift, and general tiredness) as they tend to be quite harsh and not as "sweet" as a hifi speaker.

Paul - the T12 looks pretty good, although i haven't heard one. Best thing would be to see if you could have a listen on one and make your mind up then.

[Edited on 30-10-2009 by Dom]
John

30th Oct 09 at 19:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I should have probably said what its supposed to sound like, a recording studio is a bit of a sterile environment.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll