corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Help me find a solution to an audio issue! (Hi-Fi separates... not computers)

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Help me find a solution to an audio issue! (Hi-Fi separates... not computers)
kz

User status: Offline
30th Dec 13 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My current set up was using my built in Bluetooth to pair with an audio receiver connected to my amplifier. It works great... but, it totally destroys my Wi-Fi connection so I'm looking for another way of doing things.

I can't be dealing with cables now I've got used to them not being there! I was looking around the other night on manufacturer's websites to see what they make. The only possibility I found was this from Sony...

http://www.sony.co.uk/product/home-cinema-receivers/hap-s1

That has a built in HDD which would be perfect, but as you can see, it's rather expensive! Considering my Bluetooth audio receiver cost me £25 I was trying to think of a cheaper way of doing it... perhaps Hi-Fi separates that have a built in USB or SD card slot!? Preferably round the back, as looks count here! Please link me up if you know of anything like this or have other ideas, cheers.

tl;dr separate amplifier that can play my music without being connected to my computer via a cable?
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 20:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sonos Connect or Sonos Connect:Amp?
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 21:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a device with built in storage, that looks subtle, why not just use a portable player, possibly with a dock?

Dom

30th Dec 13 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by evilrob

Do Sonos do HDD devices? Thought there were all streamers like Squeezbox's and require a server or PC/NAS storage?

kz - Plenty of HDD Audio players about, Naim, Arcam, Cambridge Audio, Brennan, Cocktail Audio etc but you're not going to get a HDD player for £25
As Balling mentions, a dock with a MP3 player (secondhand iPod perhaps) that feeds your current amp is probably the cheapest solution.
oceansoul

30th Dec 13 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DLNA media server running on the PC and a seperate device that can play back DLNA streams (PS3, Xbox, some AV recievers etc).
evilrob
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
Originally posted by evilrob

Do Sonos do HDD devices? Thought there were all streamers like Squeezbox's and require a server or PC/NAS storage?

I didn't read the first bit - just the tl;dr - I didn't realise HDD was a requirement, just that he wanted a non-bluetooth way of wirelessly beaming his music from <something> to his amp and speakers.

I figured since he already has and amp, speakers and bluetooth dongle, he was already streaming his music to it from an iPod/iPhone/iPad/Android phone or tablet/laptop/PC/whatever.

The Sonos Connect would be like a really expensive replacement for his £25 bluetooth dongle.
kz

30th Dec 13 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It doesn't have to be a HDD, I'm just leaning towards storage as I want to stop too much more data going over my airwaves. I don't know much about DLNA, does it connect over Wi-Fi?

I'd like to keep the price somewhere between £250-500 really if I was buying a new amplifier!

As for something connecting to my iPhone... I did think of that, but I wouldn't be able to fit all my music on it which would be really annoying!
Balling
Premium Member

30th Dec 13 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why buy a new amp if it's a player you're after?

What's wrong with getting a pocket device? If you want to go high end you can find some pretty decent external DAC's for iPod as well.

kz

31st Dec 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As I said, using my iPhone isn't ideal because I can't fit my whole library on there.

As for getting a new amplifier, it was just about having it all contained within one device... doesn't have to be, though
Balling
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 08:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never mentioned your phone. Get an iPod.

kz

31st Dec 13 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sticking to the Apple theme... my mate's just come over and said have I considered AirPort Express. Now I don't know much about it, but I've just been staring at the website. I guess, basically, it does the exact same thing my Bluetooth audio receiver does, only it uses the Wi-Fi connection rather than Bluetooth, is that right? Thing is, where I'm saying I have a conflict which reduces my Wi-Fi speed, I was assuming this was because both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth use 2.4Ghz. So I'm not sure if it would be any better? Then again, I think it's actually my computer's chip (on a Surface Pro) that is causing the issue.

Anyone had experience with this system?
Richie

31st Dec 13 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a similar issue, switched to 5GHz wifi and not a problem no more. Most new devices should work at 5GHz.

I also had an old router with DD-WRT on it which had a WiFi survey on it and listened to each frequency to find the best channel / interop
kz

31st Dec 13 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could be worth a shot I suppose, what router do you have and is it dual band? Still need 2.4Ghz for my PS3.
Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
If you want a device with built in storage, that looks subtle, why not just use a portable player

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
I never mentioned your phone.

[/Dom]

Joke mate
Dom

31st Dec 13 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Firstly, Balling never mentioned using a phone so that doesn't make sense.

Secondly, Christ on a bike, that's some nerve i touched
Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You think you did Dom. It is actually the same thing since I didn't mention pcs.I don't really need to explain it.

You're always very smug for someone who looks like an fat version of sloth from the goonies Makes sense I guess.

[Edited on 31-12-2013 by Brett]
Dom

31st Dec 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
You're always very smug for someone who looks like an fat version of sloth from the goonies Makes sense I guess.

What a shit personal attack. Guess i shouldn't expect any better from someone who's shows to have the intelligence of a fucking brick

Although it must be some nerve i touched if quoting you with a gif puts you in so much rage that you have to start Googling people from a forum and spamming threads; and people say Steve is a weirdo but this is another level

Clearly the internet has gotten to you Brett, perhaps you should go have a lie down and come back when you can count further than 'potato'......

Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shit but accurate, where as yours isn't is it dude? Nerves touched big time. Oh how you try so hard. I particularly love how you have a gif for every occassion, a true fat reclusive nerd ha

Dom

31st Dec 13 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nerves touched big time.

Says the man Googling forum users like a proper stalker because someone replied with a gif

Go and have a lie down Brett; you're about to ragequit at this rate
Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Logical conclusion to come to but not the case my friend.

No rage quit on my part, however looking a little sketchy yourself, clutching at straws one might say.
Dom

31st Dec 13 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Logical conclusion to come to but not the case my friend.

No rage quit on my part, however looking a little sketchy yourself, clutching at straws one might say.

Derails a thread and then starts Googling like a stalker all because of a gif reply......no, you're right, that's perfectly normal behaviour Brett and not at all fucking weird

Although it's a nice touch that you think i'm your friend but apologies, i think you're a fucking weirdo

[Edited on 31-12-2013 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like I said, no googling, that's your job. Already shared a joke about your pic with someone in the past

What I'd consider abnormal is someone lurking on a car forum who never posts in the car section tbh.

You tend to always like to try and be humorous (in your way) towards me Dom, hence me deciding to respond this time.

You've not got to me, nor has anything you've said had even had an ounce of factual weight, but hey ho, happy new year

I'll go for that wank and a lie down and you hit that treadmill. If you put half the effort into that as you do into being a smart ass, you'll get there bro, keep your chin(s) up

Dom

31st Dec 13 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
What I'd consider abnormal is someone lurking on a car forum who never posts in the car section tbh.

What the fuck are you on about; helped out plenty in the 'Help Zone' with regards to Corsa's on a Corsa forum

quote:
You tend to always like to try and be humorous (in your way) towards me Dom, hence me deciding to respond this time.

You've not got to me......

I've said fuck all to you in the past but clearly Bart rattled your cage and me replying with a gif has touch a big enough nerve that you've Google'd me and then derailed a thread over it

Anyway, you should go to bed Brett; those windows aren't going to lick themselves....

Brett
Premium Member

31st Dec 13 at 22:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, look, another gif

As said, no googling, that's your game, which is apparent to everyone. Keep clinging onto the hope you've rattled me somehow if it gets you through the night. If you weren't so focused on your apparent obsession with me being rattled, you would've read the comments in the other thread and know that neither you nor Bart did that job. You would've also seen that my post in this thread, aside from being a joke as stated, was exactly the same as in the other thread. Like I said, apparently you're smart enough for me not to have to explain that one.

There's no need for me to rise to your 'thick' comments either. If thinking you're intellectually better than people helps then cool, you cling onto that because it's about all you've got, but we both know the score here. Straws. Clutching.

[Edited on 01-01-2014 by Brett]
kz

1st Jan 14 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What the...

So I need to order a couple of arguing Corsa owners to help my audio system? Got it!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll