corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Unbelievable scenes

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Unbelievable scenes
SVM 286

User status: Offline
9th Jun 15 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ellis

It's the insurance thing that concerns me. Where does a motorist stand if a cyclist, horse rider, etc. damages a vehicle? Does the motorist simply have to take the hit and claim on his/her insurance?

Yep, I got hit head on by a drunk and stoned cyclist who rode the wrong way down a one way street at speed.

I got to pay for my windscreen, headlight and indicator and put up with a damaged grille, bonnet, wing-top and roof for ever more after that.

I also had the stress of the thought I might have killed a man.

Plus I got to wait in the local casualty until 2am on a school night, to be breathalysed.

Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 11:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The squeaking is Nic Barnes bum cheeks
not really now is it. its quite clearly an issue with the brake disc and or pad, most likely worn pads.
Marc

9th Jun 15 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ellis

9th Jun 15 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
It's the insurance thing that concerns me. Where does a motorist stand if a cyclist, horse rider, etc. damages a vehicle? Does the motorist simply have to take the hit and claim on his/her insurance?

Yep, I got hit head on by a drunk and stoned cyclist who rode the wrong way down a one way street at speed.

I got to pay for my windscreen, headlight and indicator and put up with a damaged grille, bonnet, wing-top and roof for ever more after that.

Plus I got to wait in the local casualty until 2am on a school night, to be breathalysed.

So, basically a cyclist can cause [criminal] damage to a motorists property and walk away without paying a penny. Regardless whether it was an accident or not, what does the law state for instances like this?

Can I walk up to a car and kick off the door mirror to later claim it was an accident due to a nervous twitch in my leg?
Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 12:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

now compare that to the amount of times cyclists get knocked off and the motorist drives off. be many more occasions of that. who pays for the bike? the cyclist. etc. half the cars on the road arent worth as much as my mountain bike are.
Dom

9th Jun 15 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Whilst i don't disagree with you, it does then become a question of 'where does it end', ie - as a runner, do you then need insurance to run on roads? What about as a pedestrian, do you need insurance for when you cross a road?

The list could go on and it'd become a minefield.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If a motorists knocks a biker off, there is a legal requirement that they pay for the damages and injuries.

If a biker damages a car, is there a legal requirement that they pay for the damages?
Dom

9th Jun 15 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
half the cars on the road arent worth as much as my mountain bike are.

It's unlikely you'd use your mountain bike on the road nor use it for commuting, rather a road bike or hybrid, so i'm not sure why you mention it (plus there's plenty of road bikes more expensive than your mountain bike)

However, it'd be interesting to see what the figures are of cyclists damaging vehicles vs vehicles leaving the scene of a bike accident
Dom

9th Jun 15 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
If a biker damages a car, is there a legal requirement that they pay for the damages?

Not sure about legal requirement but you can certainly take a cyclist to court over damages if they don't have insurance (bike insurance exists) to cover the cost of repairs.
Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:
half the cars on the road arent worth as much as my mountain bike are.

It's unlikely you'd use your mountain bike on the road nor use it for commuting, rather a road bike or hybrid, so i'm not sure why you mention it (plus there's plenty of road bikes more expensive than your mountain bike)

However, it'd be interesting to see what the figures are of cyclists damaging vehicles vs vehicles leaving the scene of a bike accident
experience tells me cars flee the scene 100% of the time more

ps, i do commute on my mountain bike just depends which bike i have at the girlfriends
Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3B601Ndsg

also like that clip of road cycling.
SVM 286

9th Jun 15 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:

So, basically a cyclist can cause [criminal] damage to a motorists property and walk away without paying a penny. Regardless whether it was an accident or not, what does the law state for instances like this?

Can I walk up to a car and kick off the door mirror to later claim it was an accident due to a nervous twitch in my leg?

Well, the fella that hit me paid with his front teeth, a knee or two, an ankle, a wrist and an elbow, plus a fair bit of skin and blood, but the car and the tarmac got to keep that little lot.

He initially lost his specs too, but they turned up in two bits on the floor of my car, so I popped the lens back in and walked back up to the hospital to drop them off to him.

Don't know what the legalities are, but all I got was a letter from the police a few weeks later to inform me that the matter was closed and that they would not be pursuing the matter with regards to any responsibility of the gentleman that hit me etc etc and that I should claim for my damages if I wished to, from my insurance if I hadn't already done so.

I wasn't going to do that as I didn't want a claim on my history needlessly, plus I had already replaced what needed doing for safety's sake and then contended with the cosmetic damage for the remainder of my ownership.

I was just glad he survived.

It was a bit shitty though that I had to pay in part for his stupidity, particularly at a time when I was extremely poor.

This is why i'm always eagle eyed for cyclists now and partly the reason I give them as wide a berth as is safely possible to do so.
SVM 286

9th Jun 15 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3B601Ndsg

also like that clip of road cycling.

I reckon that fella might have had a drop or two, too much of this gear Nic...

https://vine.co/v/MuKOJBDY1Xa
Ellis

9th Jun 15 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
quote:

Whilst i don't disagree with you, it does then become a question of 'where does it end', ie - as a runner, do you then need insurance to run on roads? What about as a pedestrian, do you need insurance for when you cross a road?

The list could go on and it'd become a minefield.

Yeah difficult one to find the right balance without unfairly penalising certain users of the roads.

Google tells me the motorist should pursue the cyclist (or other road user) through the courts if unwilling to claim via their car insurance policy.

The website I was on suggests regular users of the roads on a bike should have an insurance policy that covers third party public liability.
Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think the problem here is motorists are all too quick to flee the scene of an accident. knock a cyclist off here, kill a dog there, smash into a bus stop over there etc.
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 17:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ones that annoy me are those who wait until the road is clear...but don't give you any space when they overtake anyway.

MX5 Project Thread
Jason x
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always make sure to gear down and blast them with the sound of Racetube when overtaking them.
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 18:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bet they think you're cool.

MX5 Project Thread
Jason x
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Racetube brings joy to my neighbourhood
Neil Dagens

9th Jun 15 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://youtu.be/DRv0xQjEQs0

This was posted on one of our local pages, made me laugh!
nibnob21
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 19:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah saw that earlier What a pleb.

MX5 Project Thread
Marc

9th Jun 15 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LOLZ
Steve
Premium Member

9th Jun 15 at 19:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I swear to god marc
Marc

9th Jun 15 at 19:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats up fam?
Nic Barnes

9th Jun 15 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jason x
I always make sure to gear down and blast them with the sound of Racetube when overtaking them.
doesnt really bother me that. I was a young berk once with a big bore 4 on a nova.

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Unbelievable scenes 23 database queries in 0.1869919 seconds