corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Road Trolls

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Road Trolls
SVM 286

User status: Offline
25th Jan 15 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
50k for a lorry driver yeah right

If you could get fifty grand per annum for driving a lorry, i'd be sat in the driver's seat of a bloody lorry this very second Pow.

One of my pals drives Class 1 and it's a thoroughly shit job. I do NOT envy him.
luciaadr

25th Jan 15 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought that petrol tanker drivers and similar were on 40-50, dangerous loads requiring experience and all, so in a highly unionsed workforce I could see a driver being on 50k. Tube drivers are on mad money for pushing a button every now and then so anythings possible.
JordyCarter

25th Jan 15 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guys around here that transport chemicals from BOC etc are on a decent wage I believe
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

25th Jan 15 at 21:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
quote:
Wish the hassles in my job were only worrying about mpg and occasionally having to change gears a few times when someone is going a bit slow up a hill

Those two things may seem like little non-issues, but when they can add up to missing a delivery slot, resulting in the load getting rejected because supermarkets and distribution centres have the most utterly ridiculous policies known to man, which then leaves you with a trailer full of shit that is no longer wanted, it has a knock on effect on the rest of your days work because rather than cracking on with your next assigned job, you've now got to get bollocked for missing your time slot, even though it was inconsiderate Steve's fault, because him hunting for floods to drive his Defender through is clearly much more important than produce getting to the people who need it. Bollocking over you then get told to drive the trailer full of useless stuff to another depot where warehouse staff have to waste their time unloading it into the nearest bin which then means more trucks on the road to go and empty the bins of what was perfectly good produce until you cocked everything up by apparently 'owning' the right of way.

Just a little perspective for you.

So same sort of issues everyone faces in their day to day jobs then.

I've never been in a job where the general public could cause me to end up in a situation where I'm getting bollocked for thousands of pounds worth of losses so no, not really.

It's pointless arguing though, if you feel you're too important to help anyone else then I might as well talk to a brick wall.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jan 15 at 21:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
The argument about fuel consumption wasn't brought up by us. Maybe you should read back and see.

No but its one of the reasons not to be a cunt.

My list wasn't designed to be exhaustive and others have added to it.

I was talking to the guy about why a wagon may have been up his ass in a 50 limit.

If the post was about a wagon blocking a side street I'd have given him some insight in to that as well. As others have done.

Basically anyone who has driven big stuff will get it, and people who haven't, won't. But its not necessary to make allowances for these drivers because no one helps you with your jobs. Yeah OK.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jan 15 at 21:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'm sure there are similar levels of responsibility and worry in most people's jobs.

you get paid to deal with corners, tight roads, slowing down up hills, mpg and all the other public road users that unlike you, aren't paid to be there.

Neither of which mean you need to be a cunt to lorry drivers?
JonnyJ

25th Jan 15 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by pow

If you could get fifty grand per annum for driving a lorry, i'd be sat in the driver's seat of a bloody lorry this very second Pow.

One of my pals drives Class 1 and it's a thoroughly shit job. I do NOT envy him.

Theres a thread on Truck Net verifying what Ben said so i wouldnt be too sure hes talking shite. Ford are well known for paying extremely well [pros of a good union], but also its a pretty much closed shop whereby unless you know someone, you arent getting a job there.

Like i say though, its very much not the norm. At our place its around £26k, smash in some overtime and you can easily rack up £30k, if you can handle nights its even more.

Also wouldnt say its a shit job. There is a lot of bad ones aye, but find the right place and its ace. Thoroughly enjoy what i do anyway.
JonnyJ

25th Jan 15 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway this threads turned out to be quite funny.

Steve opens it, wingeing and moaning because people have the audacity to annoy him on the road with poor driving attitudes and then when its put to him some of his driving could be inconveniencing others he says that he couldnt give a shit.

Irony.

And that it why the roads can be a twat, because most drivers are selfish cunts.
SVM 286

25th Jan 15 at 23:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Count yourself lucky Jonny. My pal does not enjoy his, nor the people he works for. For him it's just a means to an end.

He'd be out of there at the drop of a hat if he had another option.

Don't blame him either. Bloody horrid start time.
JonnyJ

25th Jan 15 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Count yourself lucky Jonny. My pal does not enjoy his, nor the people he works for. For him it's just a means to an end.

He'd be out of there at the drop of a hat if he had another option.

Don't blame him either. Bloody horrid start time.

I definitely do pal, especially considering it's my first job in the industry, many have to put up with whatever agency work they can get their hands on to start which is pure pot luck on the quality of jobs and vehicles you'll be getting.
SVM 286

25th Jan 15 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's employed rather than agency. His wagon's alright, but he starts at 4am and he works for armpits

Not sure what his annual is, but he was on less than me when I was fixing motors from 8:30 to 5:30 with an hour's paid lunch break.
Ben G

25th Jan 15 at 23:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Theres a thread on Truck Net verifying what Ben said so i wouldnt be too sure hes talking shite. Ford are well known for paying extremely well [pros of a good union], but also its a pretty much closed shop whereby unless you know someone, you arent getting a job there.

Like i say though, its very much not the norm. At our place its around £26k, smash in some overtime and you can easily rack up £30k, if you can handle nights its even more.

Also wouldnt say its a shit job. There is a lot of bad ones aye, but find the right place and its ace. Thoroughly enjoy what i do anyway.

Exactly as you say Jonny. It's pretty much a fact that you'll only get a job on the fleet if you know someone in it already and if someone else dies/retires.

I didn't expand on it much as it would've turned into a portfolio thread but yeah, good union indeed. I've had a pay rise every year for the last 7 (since i started).

Pow can put that cheesecake back in his mouth now.
JonnyJ

25th Jan 15 at 23:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Ben, we're m8s yeah? You must know someone in there?

Actually fuck that, scotland is nice to drive around I couldnt cope with London and I'd still only be able to buy the same size of house i can up here with double the wage
SVM 286

26th Jan 15 at 02:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by pow

Exactly as you say Jonny. It's pretty much a fact that you'll only get a job on the fleet if you know someone in it already and if someone else dies/retires.

I didn't expand on it much as it would've turned into a portfolio thread but yeah, good union indeed. I've had a pay rise every year for the last 7 (since i started).

Pow can put that cheesecake back in his mouth now.

Bloody hell Ben! You jammy beggar!

Where are you based? What are your duties?

Shame it's such a closed shop
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 06:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I'm sure there are similar levels of responsibility and worry in most people's jobs.

you get paid to deal with corners, tight roads, slowing down up hills, mpg and all the other public road users that unlike you, aren't paid to be there.

Neither of which mean you need to be a cunt to lorry drivers?

Absolutely, I'm not endorsing being a cunt. But I don't necessarily buy into the need to stop and let them out of every junction. Or the need to go out of your way to make their task easier, sure if there's an opportunity to do a quick thing that isn't going to affect you or others around you too much then fine, but to actively go out of your way and hold other road users up at the same time to help someone in a lorry do their day job seems odd. Would people on the street if they saw me carrying a couple of pcs stop and offer to carry them to make my job easier, doubt it. Or if I'm held up in a long queue at lunch and am going to be late back, do people invite me ahead of them? Nope.

It would be lovely if everyone helped everyone but when that sort of precedent is set in the real world it seems strange to not extend that to the road.

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I guess I just dont buy the argument that they deserve extra help, or attention just because they are in a vehicle that is mroe difficult to drive than your own.

No, help them because you are a nice human being, but also take into consideration who else is around you that you may be inconveniencing in the process of making it easy for a guy who is paid to be there.

Certainly dont "help" if the only reason is because you are turning off therefore it won't affect you but lands everyone behind in a big slow queue, who's time you have just wasted, unlike the lorry driver you have just let out, isnt recompensed by that of a monetary value, that's just as selfish and thoughtless as the people who are so bad for just driving passed and not letting them out in the first place.

Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 10:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Would people on the street if they saw me carrying a couple of pcs stop and offer to carry them to make my job easier, doubt it.

No you're probably right but then we're not asking you to take part of the truckers load, we're saying it's courteous to hold a door open for him, which I'm sure loads of people would be happy to do if they saw you had your hands full with pcs. No doubt after holding the door, most would also look to overtake at their soonest opportunity, much like you would after letting out a truck.
DaveyLC

26th Jan 15 at 11:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I guess I just dont buy the argument that they deserve extra help, or attention just because they are in a vehicle that is mroe difficult to drive than your own.

No, help them because you are a nice human being, but also take into consideration who else is around you that you may be inconveniencing in the process of making it easy for a guy who is paid to be there.

Certainly dont "help" if the only reason is because you are turning off therefore it won't affect you but lands everyone behind in a big slow queue, who's time you have just wasted, unlike the lorry driver you have just let out, isnt recompensed by that of a monetary value, that's just as selfish and thoughtless as the people who are so bad for just driving passed and not letting them out in the first place.

Remember Steve there is also a growing queue of other mere-mortal-motorists stuck behind said truck too..

The main problem with our roads is the number of impatience selfish people who think they have got somewhere more important to be.
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 12:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not really, when it has happened to me, it has been a main road with a massive line of traffic that has just come from Hereford town center, things pulling out from minor side roads have one maybe two cars behind them.

Do you realise how many people you are tying up when you let a slow moving vehicle out on the Hereford to Worcester road? Especially when the road is notoriously difficult to get passed

DaveyLC

26th Jan 15 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's why you use common sense people aren't saying let out every HGV you see! What that are saying is if he's clearly been stuck there for ages or maybe requires the whole road to turn why not be courteous?
nathy_87

26th Jan 15 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by nathy_87
How's that? Shouldn't the trucker be moving over? Bloody hell Ian editing your post.

Yeah I'd assumed he was in L2 hence moving over but its not clear in his post which lane he was in.

Probably find there's someone along side the truck also oscillating between 45 and 52 so he's stuck in the rolling road block and getting annoyed.

Generally if you can see someone getting pissed off, you need to see what the reasons might be.

Truck deffo has cruise and a calibrated speedo. Cars, less often. Don't forget if you take him down to 43 up a hill, he's back through three gears and probably losing his fuel consumption bonus because you're in the way. Whole load of issues car drivers don't even know about never mind drive with consideration for.

[Edited on 24-01-2015 by Ian]

Fair point Ian. Not brown nosing but I'm always fair to Lorry drivers.
Ian
Site Administrator

26th Jan 15 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I don't necessarily buy into the need to stop and let them out of every junction.

I was mainly talking about doing 50 through roadworks.

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by Ian]
JonnyJ

26th Jan 15 at 14:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who exactly said you need to stop and let them out of every junction? Deary me.

Im still unclear as to what you wanted "Road Troll 3" to do?

They are leading a line of cars on what i assume is a NSL road and approaching a junction where they are planing to turn off. Said "troll" looks ahead to their turn off and notices a HGV sat waiting to turn out into the road. Knowing hes coming off there he gives a quick flash of the lights to let the driver know hes clear to turn and whacks his indicator on. Trucker is delighted at seeing good driving and turns into the road to continue his journey whilst "troll" slows and takes their junction.

All seems fairly standard to me, what SHOULD he have done to avoid being branded a troll?
Steve
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 14:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The person turning in should have considered the long line of traffic behind them and realised they wouldnt have wanted to have been stuck for 20 miles behind a vehicle doing 45mph on a NSL road and turned in normally.

The lorry would have had to wait for the natural break in traffic, which does happen when the lights in town change.

JonnyJ

26th Jan 15 at 15:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But as soon as he indicated the trucker would've been out regardless, thats what I'd be looking out for if i was in that position. The only thing the guy in front could've done to stop him coming out is to leave his indication to the last possible minute, which is shit driving. He'd be a troll then.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Road Trolls 22 database queries in 0.1067369 seconds