corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Pc and AV Reciever sound help

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pc and AV Reciever sound help
Jambo

User status: Offline
12th Jan 15 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pc: Win7 old Dell Desktop DVI + analog HD stereo output

AVR: Pioneer VSX-924

Had my PC linked to my old TV (LG LCD) via the old school RGB monitor cable (and dvi adapter) for picture. I then recycled my now redundant Xbox stereo analogue cable to the analog input on my AVR. This gave me perfect picture and Stereo sound via the AVR, the PC's Audio card is "HD" and had no problem utilising all speakers (5.1) and the sub kicked nicely.

Installed my new TV (this does not have a RGB monitor slot, so I used the HDMI/DVI adapter) and linked this through the correct HDMI In slot on the TV (supports DVI). I did not move the audio (analogue) inputs from before.

Now when I listen to music it only plays through the left and right front speakers? No sub, no centre sound etc. I checked the PC's settings and did a Test, it shows me on screen that it is playing the correct signals for sub and centre etc but no sound comes out? The EQ bounces up and down correctly though.

Why is this happening? The audio is the slot is the same as before without adjusting any settings etc, so why now does the sound come out incorrectly? I checked the TV's menu and the audio for ARC is not switched on so surely this shouldn't make a difference? Only thing different is the now connection via HDMI(DVI) and not an old RGH cable so I am thinking this has something to do with it but I don't understand why!

Halp!
Dom

12th Jan 15 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want multichannel from your PC and your PC doesn't have an HDMI output that passes through audio (VGA/DVI doesn't carry audio), then you will either need to take a digital audio feed from the PC to the AVR, either via SPDIF or optical/Toslink; or use the multiple 3.5mm jack audio outputs on your soundcard and route accordingly to your AVR using 3.5mm jacks to phono/RCA.

Edit - I am confused to what you mean by "RGB monitor cable" and "Xbox stereo analogue cable" though - Is that a VGA cable and a standard stereo 3.5mm to phone cable?
Either way, a VGA or RGB component cable or a stereo cable wouldn't have given you multiple channels.

[Edited on 12-01-2015 by Dom]
Jambo

12th Jan 15 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Dom, yeah sorry the cable was the VGA style blue thing with twisty screw locks. The sound was conveyed via 3.5mm jack to the sound card on the rear of the PC then fed to the AVR via the analogue (red and white plugs)

Not after surround sound quality just want a decent stereo sound with sub etc, which was fine before I started using the DVI/HDMI setup!
Jambo

12th Jan 15 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok Sorted it....

For some reason, the AV Receiver had decided to run the SW at -500 so whilst it was "working" it was almost inaudible. This coupled to me messing with the settings in windows had messed it up.

Switched the Sound card to out put stereo, adjusted output volume higher...

Then turned sub up on AVR and presto. Decent clear and delicious stereo sound

As they said in True Detective, detective disease, focusing on the wrong clues and answer was right under my nose all along.

Thanks

New Poll