corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » AV help. reciever?/?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author AV help. reciever?/?
csweatherston

User status: Offline
8th Nov 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi.. just need a little bit of help?

Currently my setup is:

panasonic 42pz800b plasma (wall mounted)
I then have the ps3 and my laptop connected via hdmi to the TV.

From there the tv was connected via phono's to my old sony hifi.... which just blew up

if i was to get: http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/onkyo/txsr607/onky-txsr607

would i then connect the ps3 and laptop into the Amp?.. then from the amp to the tv?

Also, can anyone recommend a good 5.1 speaker package <£600??
I cant justify anymore than £1k this close to xmas.

many thanks

Callum
Dom

8th Nov 09 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yup, HDMI sources (ps3, BD Player etc) to the 607, then 607 to your panny As for speaker packages, the KEF KHT2005.3 are meant to be awesome for the price, likewise the Q Acoustics 1010i (both around the 500-600 bracket).
csweatherston

8th Nov 09 at 12:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ideal!
Ive looked at the Q Acoustics, i prefer them to the Kef's.. visually.

would i be able to rig a cd/ dab deck to the 607? having it in stereo? as i dont really need a dvd/bluray with the PS3
Dom

8th Nov 09 at 13:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by csweatherston
Ideal!
Ive looked at the Q Acoustics, i prefer them to the Kef's.. visually.

would i be able to rig a cd/ dab deck to the 607? having it in stereo? as i dont really need a dvd/bluray with the PS3

Yeah of course, although note that AV amps (certainly in this price range) tend to offer a fairly straight-forward and balanced sound, which is great for films but tend to be a little harsh when playing stereo sources.

On the speaker front, Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1 are also worth a looking. It might be worth seeing if you can get a listen to a few speaker packages with the 607, either at richersounds or somewhere like Sevenoaks (i know there are a few stores near you, exeter, poole, plymouth etc) as they tend to have solid listening rooms and stock a wide range of gear, plus they've always done me deals in the past that beat what Richersounds could offer.
csweatherston

8th Nov 09 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just popped down to richer sounds.. they had a 606 there i played with.. whuich has an all channel button.. so hopefully the 607 will aswell.

Im now torn between the 507/606/607 lol

the mordaunt alumni speakers dont float my boat, they look a bit too modern as with the kef's.
i like a classic looking speaker.

Where abouts is sevenoaks in plymouth?.

im hopefully going to pop over to ets tomorrow as they have a demo bose 2.1 which supposidly sounds better than most 5/7.1 setups.
Dom

8th Nov 09 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I just popped down to richer sounds.. they had a 606 there i played with.. whuich has an all channel button.. so hopefully the 607 will aswell.

Im now torn between the 507/606/607 lol

the mordaunt alumni speakers dont float my boat, they look a bit too modern as with the kef's.
i like a classic looking speaker.

Where abouts is sevenoaks in plymouth?.

im hopefully going to pop over to ets tomorrow as they have a demo bose 2.1 which supposidly sounds better than most 5/7.1 setups.

tbh there is little difference between the 606 and 607 (two extra HDMI ports on the 607 etc), so it might be worth going for the 606 if cash is tight as you can pick them up for around the £300 mark (cheapest i've seen the 607 is £360).

Another speaker choice would be the Tannoy F1 Customs (if you can still find a set), they are absolutely fantastic and look spot on. If you look on the AVForums Classifieds you might be able to pick a set for under £500.

And Sevenoaks, >HERE<. Ring up before hand and see what they have in store, if you're after something they will usually order it in for you.
ash_corsa

8th Nov 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Prefer the 1910 to the Onkyo 607 tbh, feature wise its very similar but it looks a million times better.
Dom

8th Nov 09 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ash_corsa
Prefer the 1910 to the Onkyo 607 tbh, feature wise its very similar but it looks a million times better.

The Denon is similar to the 606 rather than the 607 (has a few extra HDMI ports and a few other bits over the 1910). But yeah, the 1910 is a good amp and gets decent reviews although it is roughly £50-100 more than the 607.
csweatherston

9th Nov 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well, spoke to richer sounds today.
have ended up with:
onkyo 607 amp.
mordaunt alumni speakers
and an onkyo ipod dock.
all for £860, which im happy with. picking it up on Saturday, so then ill try and figure out how to wire it all up lol.
whitter45

10th Nov 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have 2 denon amps - Fantastic

Had Onkyo but fouund they run very hot

I have 2307 and the 2809 models in Denon

Get some Jamos for about 300 notes

Top class
Dom

10th Nov 09 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
I have 2 denon amps - Fantastic

Had Onkyo but fouund they run very hot

I have 2307 and the 2809 models in Denon

Get some Jamos for about 300 notes

Top class

Not sure about Jamos, haven't heard any of their recent stuff but last set of floorstanders, 407s?, lacked in bass and generally produced a muddy sound. They are certainly better than what they used to be in the 90s but they still have a long way to go.

csweatherston - Pretty decent price that, you saved yourself 20-30 quid or so which isn't too bad. Did you manage to get them to chuck in any cabling (speaker, phonos etc)?
Eitherway, get some pics up when you get the gear and the setup Just a note, don't run the system hard off the bat, let them run in (mainly for the rubber surround on the cones) for a few weeks. Also they will change sound slightly once you put some hours on them.

[Edited on 10-11-2009 by Dom]
Bart

10th Nov 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Speaker, you should be looking at Q Acoustics, the 1000 series cinema package (5.1), which has been reduced from £550 to £350 to make way for the new 2000 series.
If you want to burn more money, then get the 2000 series at £550.

AV reciever, you should be looking at the denons as they have a brighter sound to match the speakers. something like the 1910 minimum (a great entry level reciever) or 2310 if you can push for an extra £300 to spend.

Theres also a reason why the Q Acoustics are winning awards in all the <£1000 speaker catagories.
Bart

10th Nov 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and btw, im literally just about to buy the Q Acoustics 2000 cinema package and denon 2010 reciever, you wont get any better for the money.
Dom

10th Nov 09 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's already got the gear and tbh there isn't a lot in it between the Q Acoustics, Mordaunt Shorts, KEFs etc Although if they're anything like the Tannoy F1s then i'm impressed as they sounded absolutely spot on when driven with a load of Cyrus Mono X's from an AV Master.

Also i'm guessing you mean the 2310? As from what i remember the 2010 is a BD player (with what was essentially a panasonic transport).

And yes Denon do tend to be brighter, and don't get me wrong as Denon's are brilliant (have a PMA250mk3, 15-16years old still going strong and sounds brilliant), but it can end up sounding a little harsh if you don't match them to the right speakers - this was certainly the case with a 1910 powering a set of M-Cubes.

btw, the Q Acoustics 2000s can be had for well under £500 if you look about.
Bart

11th Nov 09 at 07:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

beg your pardon, yes I did mean 2310.

Yes you can get the QA2000 less than £500 in walnut/graphite but not gloss black. Depends which finish you want
csweatherston

15th Nov 09 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eek... i feel ive gone a bit overkill.

i cant find anywhere to place the speakers, the subs just sat in the middle of the room.

but the volume is unreal!. watched apocalypto last night..it was insane
csweatherston

15th Nov 09 at 12:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh, can anyone recommend a decent set of bookshelf's to complement the system?.

then ill make the current fronts, front-highs.
Dom

15th Nov 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
oh, can anyone recommend a decent set of bookshelf's to complement the system?.

then ill make the current fronts, front-highs.

How much are you looking at spending on fronts?

Also get some pics up
csweatherston

15th Nov 09 at 13:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol. theres no chance of pics yet. it looks like a bombsite!
currently in the cabling stage but once its all tucked away ill get some pics.

ideally <£100 on bookshelfs.. thought about the mordaunt short 902's as they would keep in theme with the alumni's then.
xa0s
Banned

16th Nov 09 at 01:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've had 3 Onkyo's now (605, 606 and 806) and they've all been superb. If you're considering the 607 I'd go for the 806, as it's only a tiny bit more expensive but the sound quality is a lot more impressive. I had the 606 and upgraded to the 806, and the difference really surprised me.

New Poll