corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Home Cinema Day: Subwoofer wiring/connections

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Home Cinema Day: Subwoofer wiring/connections
Balling
Premium Member

User status: Offline
16th Jul 12 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fat PS3 is PCM only, not sure about slim though.

And I see no reason why Sky shouldn't output surround through HDMI.
As you don't have more than 2 speakers it doesn't matter though and any input source should automatically play in 2.1.
You'll probably have set up the AVR to output in 2ch only on selected input sources. Try messing with the settings.

Nath

16th Jul 12 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My PS3 is fat, so that's a good point.

I had a gander at the options, alot of options! I'll whack an optical cable in and see what happens.

Cheers all.
Gary
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pcm?
Balling
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 19:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Didn't see your mention of 'direct' on the other page, that will definitely be your issue, if some sources play in direct.

What it does is basically bypass most of the electronics in the AVR and simply amplify. This means no cross over hence no output to sub from a stereo source (which Dom suggest the Sky box is).

Gary
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My playstation (fat) definatly outputs 5.1.

Sky options state no 5.1 over hdmi
Balling
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Pcm?

I don't fully get it, so for the full answer go to Google. But basically the PS3 is downsampling all sound before outputting. Hence the PS3 will not play the HD sound formats.
Will still utilize all 5.1 channels, just not with the same quality level or detail.

That's my understanding of it anyway and I'm prepared to stand corrected.

Gary
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 20:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh fair enough. Makes sence.

Don't think id be able to tell the difference through my panasonic speakers anyway
Balling
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 20:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Don't think id be able to tell the difference through my panasonic speakers anyway

As I've previously mentioned, for some reason Sony's dedicated blu ray players output in PCM as well, from factory.

I realized this after 2 years of ownership.

I never noticed, but once your hear it, there is a clear difference between the HD sound formats and PCM. Rear channels are much more detailed and clear as well as generally more utilized.

Dom

16th Jul 12 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
As you don't have more than 2 speakers it doesn't matter though and any input source should automatically play in 2.1.

Do AV amps 'create' (guessing mono-summing and lowpass) the LFE channel where it doesn't exist for the sub-pre output?
As technically, no LFE channel then no sub unless the sub is used to extend the frequency range (which case it'd be classed as X.0).
Nath

16th Jul 12 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So, added an Optical Cable into the mix, going from SKY HD to Receiver, changed Audio Output accordingly, and now Sky HD outputs in DD.

Balling
Premium Member

16th Jul 12 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Do AV amps 'create' (guessing mono-summing and lowpass) the LFE channel where it doesn't exist for the sub-pre output?
As technically, no LFE channel then no sub unless the sub is used to extend the frequency range (which case it'd be classed as X.0).

Remembering this is way beyond my area of expertise, I believe the AVR uses a crossover filter to determine which frequencies to send to the SUB. If this is low pass og high pass I don't know. I actually think my old Yamaha had an option to decide. Either way, I don't fully understand the difference.

On Denon's AVR's (and I'd assume most modern AVR's) you're able to predetermine the cross over frequency of each speaker set (front, surround or center) at which it passes over to the sub.

Russ

16th Jul 12 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bare in mind nath that not eveything is recorded/produced in 5.1
Nath

16th Jul 12 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
bare in mind nath that not eveything is recorded/produced in 5.1

Indeed Russ. Made sure of that before doing my fault finding
Russ