corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Cinema Room

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Cinema Room
Colin

User status: Offline
14th Feb 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a good sized spare bedroom i'm considering turning into some sort of a cinema room.

Ive got a massive white leather corner couch I plan to put up there, was going to get a black carpet & paint the walls black, with a beer fridge in the corner.

Hardwear wise ive been looking at HD projector's but dont really know a much about them, i'd need a screen as well.....how big should I go?? Its like double bedroom size so too big will be silly. Richer sounds has a 84" screen for a good price but I dont know if thats excessive or not, will be used for watching films mostly.

What else could I stick in it? Digital Jukebox?
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

14th Feb 11 at 20:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are projectors as good as proper teles?
Ian
Site Administrator

14th Feb 11 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I personally wouldn't bother with a screen, mine just projects on to the wall. You can have it larger and also if you switch between aspect ratios - ie. using it as a computer screen but also using it for movies, it always fits.

Really just need a nice spec computer that'll render full motion 1080 video and a projector to suit.

Use this to calculate size/distance etc. based on your budget.

http://www.projectorpoint.co.uk/projectorscreensizecalculator.htm
Colin

14th Feb 11 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So just paint one wall white....is there a special paint for doing that??

That calculator thing is beyond my brains processing capacity

Is it an HD projector you've got Ian? Not sure what the budget is yet its still just an idea.
SXi_Tim

14th Feb 11 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a HD projector, its the best electric purchase i've made tbh. Full 1080p 100'+ screen it completely blows the 50' LG we've got away. Excellent for 360, blu-rays, laptops etc.

Optoma HD200X

For a screen i got some white blackout material and stretched it onto a wooden frame then stapled it, about £40 all in. Its fucking huge
Marc

14th Feb 11 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wall or 50" tv imo!
Rob_Quads

14th Feb 11 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hadn't realised the projectors had dropped so much recently. My old Panny PTAE700 is still going strong though. Even at 720p its still awesome for Films & Footy
AlunJ

14th Feb 11 at 23:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

even my standard projector was pretty good for watching the footy on, flogged it in the end as I couldn't have a permanent setup. It's a nice bit of kit to have though that's for sure, projected mine on to my wall and that's a pale chocolately colour and didn't look too bad
Ian
Site Administrator

15th Feb 11 at 01:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
So just paint one wall white....is there a special paint for doing that??

Is it an HD projector you've got Ian? Not sure what the budget is yet its still just an idea.
No, cheap second hand thing, cheap second hand computer and shining it on a Wimpey-spec magnolia wall. Not expensive in the slightest. Obviously if you spend more, you will get better results.
Gareth

15th Feb 11 at 01:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about a 60" plasma wall mounted? Get one off ebay for 6-700.
drunkenfool

15th Feb 11 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Hadn't realised the projectors had dropped so much recently. My old Panny PTAE700 is still going strong though. Even at 720p its still awesome for Films & Footy

I had the PTAE900E and switched to the PTAE4000 about a year ago. When I had the two connected side by side connected to the same source, I honestly thought that the PTAE900E was broken!
Rob_Quads

15th Feb 11 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

60" sounds a bit small also not sure how good 1080p 60" plasma would be for £700, that would have to be pretty must the most budget set out there.
Whittie

15th Feb 11 at 12:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gareth
what about a 60" plasma wall mounted? Get one off ebay for 6-700.

I was looking at those when I came to buy a new a few weeks ago. Proper shit, you need ~£2.5k to buy a decent 60".
Pablo

15th Feb 11 at 12:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3d tv mate, the way forward after playing cod4 on mine last weekend, i was amazed at it. the surround sound and 3d-ness i was at war lol !!
Nath

15th Feb 11 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Wall or 50" tv imo!
kennySRi

15th Feb 11 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my room i have an optoma hd projector and was £500 years ago and the quality is more than decent enough, especially for the price and size. I have it projected on a 98" screen and bought the screen material to wrap around a 8x4 sheet of mdf.

If you want any ideas i will happily u2u you them but failing that google is a good place to start for some ideas
Dom

15th Feb 11 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends on your budget but I would personally advise that you budget for a half decent screen if you want decent blacks/contrast. Using a painted white/magnolia wall doesn't really cut it, although I have heard painting an area on the wall using Dulux Icestorm produces a decent screen (haven't seen it personally).

For gear, decent projector + screen, BD Player, AV Amp + 5//6/7.1 speaker package. As said though, it all depends on your budget.

Projector wise have a look at Optoma HD65 (could go for the HD600X which is a little more and only gives you 3D, but PQ wise it's the same as the HD65) if you want something cheap (only does 720P, ideal for short throw only really). If you have the cash, £1k mark, then Epson 3600, Sanyo PLV-Z2000 etc

If you're serious though I’d get on a half decent forum like AVForums and ask around, plenty of information on those boards (especially regarding throwing distances for PJs).

As for 3D I’d hold off for a while until the technology develops, it's still in its infancy, expensive and there are multiple standards at the moment with no clear winner.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 20:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

agreed projector is the best purchase iv made.

got one of them 90 inch white blackout blinds from ikea, works perfect

Ian
Site Administrator

15th Feb 11 at 20:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dom
Using a painted white/magnolia wall doesn't really cut it
My point being, it doesn't have to cost a lot.

I'm perfectly happy with mine, more so that it cost only a few hundred pounds. Obviously if we're talking grands, the quality improves proportionately. Although I would still argue a plain wall - admittedly prepared properly - is preferably to a screen in respect of changes in size/aspect. It also doesn't constrain you on size, so if you can live with the compromise on brightness, you do get a larger viewable area.
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 20:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no difference with my 15 quid blind to 'proper' screens iv seen at work, smart boards etc, with the reflective coatings. Granted it improves brightness in low light situations, but when its pitch black you cant tell any difference. My room can be near pitch black in bright sunlight anyway due to black out blinds on every window
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 20:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ignore the mess of the blind underneath, that was temporary and is now fixed and nice and neat

[Edited on 15-02-2011 by Steve]
AK

15th Feb 11 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this is a guy thats on TS and does trackdays with us..... crazy

games room

Marc

15th Feb 11 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet he has fallen over that chair a few times when on the Wii
Steve
Premium Member

15th Feb 11 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

playing a superior racing sim i see
Marc

15th Feb 11 at 21:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superior to what Stcheven?

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll