corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( ***

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( ***
anthcorsa

User status: Offline
19th Apr 15 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

New splitter looks nice
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th Apr 15 at 22:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by anthcorsa
New splitter looks nice

Slightly bigger too, and a lot stronger thick plastic, plus with the added bonus uses the original factory bolts points on the bumper, the old one was paper thin and badged on with woodscrews in a fair few random places, surprised it stayed on long as it did, pretty much fell apart soon as I got it off
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 09:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good Steve.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 09:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might have to get one of those brake stoppers, seem reasonably priced.

Good work dude
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Might have to get one of those brake stoppers, seem reasonably priced.

Good work dude

worth doing Brett, best bang for your buck mod you can get for this car imo. No instructions so bit of pissing about to find out which way it fits but the brake feel is sooo much better after, eliminates alot of the spongey feel, kind scary the firewall flexes that much under hard braking in the first place, but least i know i wont have this prob anymore

[Edited on 20-04-2015 by SteveoBC]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 10:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Looking good Steve.

cheers kyle, wouldnt have even known about the brake stopper if it wasnt for your thread

...just mines not as quick as yours lol
Brett
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guide for fitting on Kyles thread?
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 16:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly but i couldnt be arsed to scroll through all the pages on my phone while i was under the bonnet saturday to find it lol i just got on with it and fitted it, once you have the kit in front of you and the pic of mine fitted to look at you will work it out easily enough

although the one bit of advice i would offer would be if you buy the kit to make sure you tap the threads again on the power coated parts AND also there is 2 threads on the suspension turret you bolt the kit onto that need the threads cleaned out and tapped as they would have had nothing bolted in there since the car was built so will be full of rust and shit

[Edited on 20-04-2015 by SteveoBC]
Kyle T
Premium Member

20th Apr 15 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only pointer worth noting is that when you refit the boost solonoid, don't neglect the rubber spacers for it - as it clicks, and if bolted direct to your turret it'll rattle through the whole car making you think your engine is dying

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

20th Apr 15 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good work fella
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 08:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feedback from the weekend, did some testing at castle combe at the spring action day

discs held up fine and look as they should, the ebc redstuff pads...munched, went through half the pads from the sessions i did and still had brake fade so have had to upgrade to the yellow stuff pads now (due here wednesday, taken thursday off work to get them fitted and heading to the nurburgring friday)

i have a feeling that the brake stopper may have increased the pressure on the pads and made them wear faster or may be down to the grooves in the disc but cant be sure. But to be on the safe side getting a new set of pads asap to put on the car as a safety aspect due to the long distance there and back and want to get a few laps in at the ring at least

got some great pics from dave gritt i will put up later
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 08:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've not heard/read particularly great things about the XXXStuff range of pads since I've become interested in brake pads.

If you've still got half of the material on the redstuff ones could you keep those for road pads and take some brand new other ones to the Ring? It's not a big job to swap pads out at the track.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 12:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I've not heard/read particularly great things about the XXXStuff range of pads since I've become interested in brake pads.

If you've still got half of the material on the redstuff ones could you keep those for road pads and take some brand new other ones to the Ring? It's not a big job to swap pads out at the track.

thats the plan to swap em over thursday bed the yellow ones in on the drive down, let them get hammered at the ring, if they are bad after that or when i get home, i have the red ones for back up

although, mines developed the same problem as yours Kyle and the brakes are catching on the dust plates

only does it on heavy braking downshifts in 3rd or 4th and on hard right turns on track, on the way home and driving about its fine, not sure if i can be bothered trying to take the caliper off though the day before the ring...might just leave it and put up with the noise
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it your rears that are catching? I sort of fixed mine from being too bad by taking them back a bit with some dremel attachments - but they still catch a little when it's all really warm.

I'm running without the guards on the fronts, as the AP discs won't fit with them on. I can't really remove the rears, as the caliper mount is part of them!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 12:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is it your rears that are catching? I sort of fixed mine from being too bad by taking them back a bit with some dremel attachments - but they still catch a little when it's all really warm.

I'm running without the guards on the fronts, as the AP discs won't fit with them on. I can't really remove the rears, as the caliper mount is part of them!

its just the right rear by the sounds of it, really got picked up from the go-pro footage when i listened back on my phone

just worried about taking the caliper and disc off to dremel it back as i cant remember which calipers my mechanic had to helicoil and i really dont fancy stripping a thread on my drive as i am then completely fucked

(hense why i might just put up with it, if i wasnt going to the ring in 5 days then i would attempt it lol)
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 13:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would definitely just put up with it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

my thoughts exactly, its bit of a nasty noise when i hear it, but fuck it the car handled fine on saturday, even managed to hold a 4 wheel drift for a couple of seconds

i want a sub 9 lap round the ring or i will be annoyed with myself haha (8min 50 or below i will be over the moon lol)
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 13:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
quote:

even managed to hold a 4 wheel drift for a couple of seconds

Was it really a couple of seconds?

When I have a slidey moment it always feels at the time like it lasted about 10seconds, then I watch the gopro back and the back just snaps for a split second and then I'm off again

It's much more dramatic in memory

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

27th Apr 15 at 13:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it did feel longer when i did it but again when i look back at the footage its literally a couple of seconds quick dose of opposite lock and me laughing and then carrying on haha

but yeah, thursday looks like new pads, oil and brake fluid top up, maybe a quick wash and get all my bags packed and passport dusted off

oh and bought some octane booster for the trip, got a job lot of 5 (best to have too many and not need them, rather than need them and not have any lol)
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th May 15 at 12:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been thinking.......decided that i want my own place now, i hate renting, i hate the idea of lining someone elses pocket and most importantly i hate my flat mate

got a couple of minor things to pay off but have not anything close to a deposit for a house......this means only one thing, time to grow up a bit and sell the Scooby

hardest decision i have ever had to make, love this car to bits, enjoy driving it every single time i start her up, but sadly if i want a place of my own, shes got to go and i have to say goodbye to the best car i have ever owned and believe me if i could afford to keep her, i would.

proper for sale ad will be up later on the usual places, but if anyone knows anyone who may be looking or interested please pm me and i will get back to you

as for cars in general its defo not over for me, i will still want to do track days, been speaking to a few friends and we have all given the thumbs up to a "pool track car" everyone chips in an equal share for a cheap track ready car and with 3or4 of us involved this makes track days affordable...this will probably happen in the summer time and a new project thread will probably emerge....but for now..its time to let the scooby go
Corsa_Sport21

19th May 15 at 13:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hard times but if needs must then it's the sensible idea.

Sharing a track car between 3 or 4 friends will only end badly though.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th May 15 at 13:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame to read that dude.

I've just gone from mortgage to renting so I can throw more at my car

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th May 15 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Shame to read that dude.

I've just gone from mortgage to renting so I can throw more at my car

you dont know the half of it Kyle, shame doesnt even cover it, got a fresh MOT on her yesterday, sailed through, even the tester was thinking about buying it lol

gone the complete opposite to me then, need to get on the property ladder, 29 now and need to get a roof over my head sorted, with the new first time buyer ISA thats just come out i would be silly not to, save 12k the government give you 3k on top for nothing

real shame and i will be very sad to see it go, but least i can say iv had one....a good one at that
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th May 15 at 16:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it the running costs of the Scoob you're hoping to free up or the actual capital value of the car?

If the latter, make it the last thing you sell. They're selling really quick/easy at the moment - so at least enjoy it for a bit until you're £Xk short of your deposit.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

19th May 15 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bummer Steve, it's a lovely thing.

I know the pain of trying to save, but I got a little lucky in keeping my Company Car for 2 more years, so can keep my wallet buster for a little but longer...

Still, once you're on the Ladder, you may be able to get a toy again in good time.

Kyle makes a good point above too.

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( *** 24 database queries in 0.1099701 seconds