corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( ***

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( ***
SteveoBC
Premium Member

User status: Offline
8th Jan 15 at 23:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought i should finally get a project thread up about this car (had it over 6months haha)

As some may know, I used to own bumblebee.

Got to a point do I drop a load of money on it and LET it or do I buy something else. After last summers nurburgring trip with nova Neil and friends, I decided the following;
-I wanted a turbo car after being in so many during the trip as passenger
-track car is fun for track but not great for road trips

Decided I'd owned bumblebee long enough but couldn't justify keeping it and splashing out on turbo'ing it. I had always wanted an Impreza since I was a kid so decided that's what I wanted next.

Searched high and low and after a month and half found a 64k Blob eye impreza sti with the Prodrive Performance Pack, slightly tweaked already with a forge dump, aftermarket headers, aftermarket rear anti roll bars already installed and full service history and literally 10mins away. Done a deal and snapped it up straight away, pics from the eBay ad, only downer was no radio (but helped lower the price)

Always wanted one in blue, test drive was great, loved everything about it, smitten is an understatement and over double the horsepower of bumblebee, there was no looking back, I was addicted to boost
First pics when I drove it round my mates house 5mins after I was handed the keys.....I finally owned a scooby

But sadly it was time to sell bumblebee after 7years of loyal service and hooning sold it to Stu22 off here (currently having a 1.6 on TB's fitted) so nice to know it lives on

Just enjoyed driving the scooby in standard guise for a while, but noticed a minor issue....blowing exhaust. Took it to EDM motorsport down the road and left it with them as they have raced this model and know their way round scoobies. Owner Elliot found out the aftermarket headers were in fact cheap Chinese aftermarket headers and had warped and leaking under load and also the exhaust gaskets around the turbo were on their way out. Luckily I still had the original headers in the boot so told them to refit those along with new gaskets and it was back to normal after this

Next up was its first track day at Trax last year, had a blast and found out very quickly the brakes do not like heavy abuse which is what I encountered on the short silverstone circuit. But had fun none the less

http://youtu.be/b0jsgGGC0jY

Drove the car around again for a while (even a few fun trips to work- certainly wakes you up in the morning haha) but then 2days before forge action day at combe, disaster, driving to work the top rad hose decides to spring a tiny pin hole leak. Luckily it was only tiny and I managed to get the car home without over heating (with a bit of help from a lot of wire tape over the leak lol)

Ordered a mishimoto performance hoses kit and Amber Performance luckily did an "overnight parts from Japan" jobbie and got some sent to work so I wouldn't miss the delivery. Got home jacked up, followed the online guide and with the help of my dad changed the upper and lower rad the night before combe, added a distilled water to the rad mix (which I found to have NO antifreeze in the car when I drained it-blessing in disguise I suppose) and filled up and system bled. The inter cooler spray topped up aswell and go to bed just before 11pm, just in time for a good night sleep

fitted

Next day off to combe where I had great fun with the usual WR posse and brought a workmate along to pop his track cheery in his "forecourt miles" brand new Golf R lol, but he loved it and wants to go again (you can see my workmates golf on the left in the vid)
Vid and pics from the day
http://youtu.be/mMGR1QwHK2c

That was great fun, been addicted to boost ever since.

After that decided its high time to get a head unit. Quick trip to halfords £120 later and a decent Bluetooth alpine head unit which plays music and takes calls hands free with USB port and it was fitted in 20mins buy them, actually impressed for once by halfords lol. Took the young lad who fitted it for a quick spin in it as a thank you, he was only 17 and now he wants one haha

Not done much else for the minute getting Xmas out of the way, however I did get some presents, got some new race boots and some race gloves off the family for track days

Oh and I bought some new gauges and a gauge pod for myself for Xmas, prosport stepper gauges in white and green to match the interior lighting and the head unit, boost gauge, oil temp and oil pressure

Next on the list is going back to EDM motorsport end of the month to have brand new grooved and dimpled discs and unrated pads fitted all round along with changing to dot5 race brake fluid and braided hoses. Plus getting them to fit all the gauges at the same time in one hit

Will be getting one job done myself this weekend though, noticed condensation building up on the inside of the car, water leak coming from the boot area, either from the boot seal or the water leaking in from the rear lights, will water test it at work and hopefully solve it

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 28-01-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 12-02-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 16-02-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 11-04-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 13-04-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 14-04-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 19-05-2015 by SteveoBC]

[Edited on 02-06-2015 by SteveoBC]
taylorboosh

8th Jan 15 at 23:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looking good
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jan 15 at 08:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good start, look forward to reading more

Reminds me that I've got one of these cars somewhere

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Jan 15 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your trax video is identical to mine.

Almost two laps.... BRAKES ARE GONE

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

9th Jan 15 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
Your trax video is identical to mine.

Almost two laps.... BRAKES ARE GONE

haha thought that myself when i saw yours, its that short circuit at silverstone, you are hard on the brakes all the time, wasnt that bad at Castle Combe as it gives your brakes time to recover a bit (plus i was engine braking alot haha)
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

took the car to work today as i have noticed a small water leak on the inside of the boot...could i replicate it, nope, sat inside the boot with a torch for a good 20mins and i could not see water seeping in to save my life

bootlid did seem slightly out of alignment and adjusted that so hopefully that was the issue

unfortunately one of the fitters thought it would be hilarious to put tape on the bonnet for pretend racing stripes, and when i told him to take them off or find me booting him in the face he managed to take the paint off the bonnet scoop along with the tape

-obviously the bonnet scoop had been repainted poorly in the past...que a look of horror on his face and a look of "im going to kill you" on mine

but end of the day i work in a bodyshop so will get it painted again, but we didnt have time to paint it today as we have loads on. Will take the scoop off the car and paint it in the week and fit it next saturday.

Plus added bonus the fitter said he will fit a set of discs and pads for me for free next weekend to say sorry as he felt really bad after

still.. while all that was going on managed to get a machine polisher and polish up the headlights which had gone a bit fuzzy and dull. Came up like new and was really chuffed with them (was in a rush so didnt take before and after pics though)

Standard wash, clean, hoover and a wax and back home now

So now i need to find a new set of discs and pads for next weekend, anyone recommend some good makes for fast road/track use, Kyle T...any ideas?

[Edited on 10-01-2015 by SteveoBC]
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont like that lower grill
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 16:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by IvIarkgraham
dont like that lower grill

meh, i wasnt sure about the WR1 grill at first, but its kinda grown on me. Plus i cant be arsed to piss around taking it off

"if it aint broke, dont fix it "
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paint it black
--ToM--

10th Jan 15 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Then it'll look even worse when it's stone chipped to death within a week of being painted
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
Then it'll look even worse when it's stone chipped to death within a week of being painted

exactly why i havent done it, it either stays in there or it comes off, simple as
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
So now i need to find a new set of discs and pads for next weekend, anyone recommend some good makes for fast road/track use, Kyle T...any ideas?

I went with some generic disks from Godspeed, other than a bit of a clearance issue when hot on the rears (5mins with a dremel fixed it, was catching on the dust guard) they've been fine.

Pads I tried Carbone Lorraine RC5+, they've done a Cadwell day and four Blyton Park days. Still have more than half meat on, but I ruined the fronts with my sticky brown caliper. I took them out for road use, as they do slide around in the caliper a bit which makes them clunk when stopping/reversing.

They can however do more laps than I'm capable of doing without losing concentration, with no evidence of fade.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 20:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

I went with some generic disks from Godspeed, other than a bit of a clearance issue when hot on the rears (5mins with a dremel fixed it, was catching on the dust guard) they've been fine.

Pads I tried Carbone Lorraine RC5+, they've done a Cadwell day and four Blyton Park days. Still have more than half meat on, but I ruined the fronts with my sticky brown caliper. I took them out for road use, as they do slide around in the caliper a bit which makes them clunk when stopping/reversing.

They can however do more laps than I'm capable of doing without losing concentration, with no evidence of fade.

thanks Kyle, saw on scoobynet alot of people are using the godspeed discs

did you find out the reason for your car sufferig a case of "brown-bo" on the front calipers?

Also iv just had a thought, didnt you say you had an issue with getting the calipers off as the brembos are ally and the bolts are steel, seeing alot on forums and google that the bolts are seizing/stripping threads from corrosion or being over torque'd?

Think i may stick to EDM doing my brakes instead of rushing it in a day incase they need having helicoils fitted
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 21:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need to plan in some helicoiling on the Brembo's unfortunately, they seize more than they don't - but that also means that somebody may have done it already on your car.

Not sure exactly why I've got brown brembo's yet... not really had the car to inspect them.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 21:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
You need to plan in some helicoiling on the Brembo's unfortunately, they seize more than they don't - but that also means that somebody may have done it already on your car.

Not sure exactly why I've got brown brembo's yet... not really had the car to inspect them.

i thought this may be the case, my mate whos offering to do them thinks they will be done in an afternoon (i on the other hand know better ) so if i let him crack on chances are he will strip a thread and then im stuffed so will stick to the original plan of leaving it with EDM and getting them to do it, least if they strip a thread its down to them to helicoil it not me lol
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 22:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good plan, I sacked the rears off because it's too much aggro to get it sorted DIY.

For your lower grille btw, I've bought a Zunsport black one in a (futile?) attempt to protect my FMIC a bit. Not actually seen it fitted yet, but apparently the black zunzports stand up to stonechipping just fine.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

10th Jan 15 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Good plan, I sacked the rears off because it's too much aggro to get it sorted DIY.

For your lower grille btw, I've bought a Zunsport black one in a (futile?) attempt to protect my FMIC a bit. Not actually seen it fitted yet, but apparently the black zunzports stand up to stonechipping just fine.

let me know how you get on with that

also EDM recommended Mtec disc grooved and dimpled discs for what im after (fast road and track) along with red stuff pads. But good thing is iv not only found them cheaper myself online but they are doing a 10% off and chucking in free 5.1race fluid for orders over £100 from their website, looking at around 70-80quid saving on bits

SteveoBC
Premium Member

26th Jan 15 at 09:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some boxes turned up for me last week, got some nice new stoppers for the Scooby

these should do the trick, plus upgrading the brake fluid to 5.1 to eliminate the fading

Car was booked in with EDM on saturday just gone, but having a quick look through the service history and the mot paperwork (as i could not remember when it was due) the service was done last year around this time, so decided while its in, get the lot done

Cambelt was done last year which is a bonus so saved me a few quid along with the diff oil thats been changed aswell. Manual says to change the engine coolant but iv already done this 3/4months ago when the rad hose split

so gave Eliot at EDM the following list of stuff to do while its with him;

Fit new Mtec discs and pads all round
Oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Air Filter
Spark plugs
brake fluid change (was being done anyway)
Fit new braided brake lines

so the car should be fighting fit by the time i get it back

next item on the shopping list is to save up for some new tyres for the up coming trck days over the next few months and back out the Nurburgring in May

-will keep scouring the internet and scoobynet, hopefully by the time i have saved i might be able to find a decent set of 17's with tyres that i can use for track days and keep the 18's for road use

[Edited on 26-01-2015 by SteveoBC]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

28th Jan 15 at 21:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't know why but I'm feeling pretty smug right now lol (If I did this myself I'd be going mental)

Learning from forum problems in the past and what Kyle went through, I nearly decided to do the discs and pads myself at work

But was worried about stripping the ally threads with the steel bolts in the calipers.

Eliot from EDM ran into this today while getting the calipers off mine, either seized or the previous tech over tightened them..but either way 3 out of the 4 stripped the threads, so poor Eliot had to helicoil pretty much all of them unlucky. Oh well he knows what he's doing and has the tools to sort it

I am so glad I didn't have to fuck about with this and end up getting stranded if I did this on the ramp at work

Well least I know they will be easy next time

Just hope my work finally get my bonnet scoop repainted that they fucked the paint on, get it fitted this weekend and go for a play, miss my scooby
Kyle T
Premium Member

29th Jan 15 at 10:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It satisfies me that everybody suffers the same.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

29th Jan 15 at 10:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It satisfies me that everybody suffers the same.

it satisfies me that i didnt have to suffer at all lol

i sooo made the right decision to get someone else to do them
SteveoBC
Premium Member

12th Feb 15 at 10:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

finally got my bonnet scoop painted and back from work.....mmm shiny fresh paint

this is what is looked like when the fitters decided to peel the paint off not sure how they did it as id washed the car loads with a jet wash without any bother....but at the same time you can see the paints a little dull

how the car has sat for the past few weeks

and now my bonnet scoop is given back to me i can fit ti and drive the car again at last!

gavin18787
Premium Member

12th Feb 15 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I stripped mine on my civic when I did my front pads last. Fucking annoying

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
big eck

12th Feb 15 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How are you finding the Mtec discs and red stuff pads???

I have the exact same set up sitting ready to fit to my Cupra. I completely ruined my last set of pagid discs and pads within 1 track day. Not impressed. I have the new type200 Amber fluid to change over as well.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

12th Feb 15 at 22:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Havent had a chance to try them yet Eck, cars been sat as it needed a service and the brakes doing

Plus havent been able to drive it as the inner air scoop flaps around if the bonnet scoop is not screwed on and would shake itself to pieces

Going home tomorrow night and will have a go at bedding them in over the weekend and see how they feel

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Steve's first Scooby- ***sold :( *** 24 database queries in 0.1911621 seconds