corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a new car, itchy feet

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking of a new car, itchy feet
gavin18787
Premium Member

User status: Offline
23rd Dec 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As much as I love my car and it serving me well over the last five years im thinking of a change. Just looking into things at the moment as I want to keep the civic for the summer to do track days etc then will get serious after september.
Not really sure what I want but I feel it needs to be different or better then the civic. RWD maybe for a change?

So far my shortlist idea consists of

>Focus RS - really like them for some reason but its essentially a newer more expensive version of my car. No better handling or faster etc
>E46 M3 - like them but I feel they are a bit dated now, E90 M3 would be dregs of the market so probably best avoided
>Audi RS4 estate - Like them and always have, plus bikes will go in easy , but ive heard a few horror storys and expensive parts like brakes etc
> Porche - sensible boxster, cayman or some form of older 911, dont know alot about either
> GT86, - nice but a bit slow?
> S2000, do like my hondas but not sure of the handling, didnt feel conifdent driving the one I tried.
>Evo, fast but possibly boring, expensive bills? or could be ok if I get a good one

I short any suggestions? :lol

Weekend car and doesnt do any miles but needs to be able to cover distance if needed. Did like elises but without a garage to keep it in I feel its a bad idea

[Edited on 23-12-2014 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 13:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Out of those, Cayman S.
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 13:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What RS4? Proper one or a gay V8 one?
3CorsaMeal

23rd Dec 14 at 13:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was an article by James May in the weekend papers, i noticed the E46 M3 in there as a car worth buying now and he reckoned it will increase in value over the next 10-15yrs.
Jimbothebarbarian

23rd Dec 14 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

A gay RS4? Surely a contradiction in terms?
--ToM--

23rd Dec 14 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V8 audis are certainly not gay
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 13:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Gay one

You sound like chris harris

Robin do you know anything about porches? Im a bit baffled by all the varients

Ian W

23rd Dec 14 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Z4M Coupe
Robin
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 14:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gavin18787
quote:

Gay one

You sound like chris harris

Robin do you know anything about porches? Im a bit baffled by all the varients

Speak to John or Ed, they know about Boxsters which are the same.

I considered one before getting the Focus but decided against it as it was a little too small really.

They have a few problems but the later ones seem better, the S seems pretty trouble free, better specs and more power too so
kennySRi

23rd Dec 14 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm guessing with the list your budget is £10k or so?

The porsche for that would be a 996 c2, or maybe a c4. Would be a high miler and potentially a money pit but just as much as the rest of the list.

All depends on the budget really, E92s can be got for £16k now. Focus RS would be a decent investment but never checked the prices.

RS6, SL500, scooby type r, E36 M3 (even a gt if you want a fun car and a very wise investment).

There's loads of cars available. Most people but E46 M3s so that would probs be the more sensible choice.

[Edited on 23-12-2014 by kennySRi]
Lee H

23rd Dec 14 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I sold my JRSC FN2 Civic last month and bought this.

Probably not quite as quick as the Civic but feels so good to drive etc. I paid at the top end of the market as wanted a facelift and one with a kit and a few mods. No regrets so far.
Kev_GSI

23rd Dec 14 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

E46 M3's are affordable awesome cars now
John

23rd Dec 14 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Original Boxster is 986, facelift around 2003 with some small changes. Would ignore the non S. IMS bearing is the big problem on them, happened to Ed, Mine was fine when I had it, can't tell if it's failing without taking the gearbox and flywheel off.
Rest of it is pretty easy to work on, get at everything from below. Interior pretty dated now. I liked mine, would have a 987/981 no problem. They are at the sort of price range now that any idiot can buy them and will get more difficult to get a good one. No traction control (was a very rare option), loads of torque, amazing noise, RWD, not much to dislike.

987 is the next shape up and when the Cayman came out. Different engines which I don't know too much about. Much more modern interiors but apparently not as raw to drive as the previous version, I think a better buy than an older one compared to the other cars you're looking at.

Although I love how the Cayman looks, unless you need that extra bit of stiffness, or really dislike the Boxtser, can't beat the noise with the roof down.

As for the 996's, unless it's a turbo, I'd probably stay away. They are the least desirable model and unless you've paid the lower end for it, I think they'll probably depreciate further. Engines have even more problems than the Boxster. Turbo is a different kettle of fish.
antnee

23rd Dec 14 at 20:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cayman S, although for one with a decent spec you are looking at around 18k. Very good cars, I am aiming to get one around Autumn next year. Don't bother going for one with sat nav as they are very out-dated, chrono pack gets you a stop clock on the dash, adjustable suspension and active exhaust
John

23rd Dec 14 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Having sat nav isn't really anything to do with being out dated, it's not having it. Satnav was extra on a 997 but don't think there are many without.
antnee

23rd Dec 14 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe it should of read, having sat nav isn't a must as it will be so out dated
Jambo

23rd Dec 14 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for the Boxster out of that list.

Trouble is with E46 is the bills, fantastic car, miss mine. But when you're potentially shelling out for vanos units, boot floors, expensive brakes that are rubbish and the ///M tax.. It can get a little much for what is just a performance saloon.

The Boxster has the engine in the right place out of that lot and if you're after drivability with an arguably odd but awesome sounding engine I don't think you can go far wrong. Hard to buy 986 in anything other than silver or grey but look classy regardless. I'm sure the newer one 987?) is better but to me the original has the prettiest shape.

Boxster deffo

[Edited on 23-12-2014 by Jambo]
--ToM--

23rd Dec 14 at 22:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd go for a mk2 cav because I love them
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 22:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might give a boxster a drive to see what i think.
Think i would go for the later shape if its more modern.

Just would need to have a serious think to check i could get away with a two seater

flybikeslee

23rd Dec 14 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

early or late s2k you drove?
gavin18787
Premium Member

23rd Dec 14 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flybikeslee
early or late s2k you drove?

V plate one with small wheels so may be why i didnt like it

c20let

24th Dec 14 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking out for a similar kind of car a few months ago.

Main ones I looked at were another Evo, vx220 and E46 M3.

I felt totally underwhelmed by the E46 M3 to be honest.
VX220 was awesome, looked at a supercharged one and a turbo, really liked both, but in the end decided to go for something with more than 2 seats.

Also thought about the RS4, but they're pretty common up here. And after getting a lend of my mates one for a while, wasn't overly impressed.
Focus RS, look ok and sound amazing, but they seem way too expensive for what they are. Surely prices have to come down soon?

Ended up buying an E39 M5, love it. Had to look at a few and travel a fair bit to find the right one though.

[Edited on 24-12-2014 by c20let]
3CorsaMeal

24th Dec 14 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Civic as a daily, buy a classic old car imo
3CorsaMeal

24th Dec 14 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sell Civic, buy a daily, buy a classic old car.
Jambo

24th Dec 14 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Get some pics up C20 LET!

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a new car, itchy feet 23 database queries in 0.1100619 seconds