corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a new car, itchy feet

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Thinking of a new car, itchy feet
JayCarr

User status: Offline
24th Dec 14 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking at similar cars and went for an E46 M3 in the end. Only driven it 20 miles but I can already tell how much I'm going to love it. Sounds lovely and goes well too. I was looking at either an M3 or 911, but felt the M3 had a bit more room inside for my kid to get in the back.
corsadonk
Premium Member

24th Dec 14 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you looked at E39 M5's or a Monaro?
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

24th Dec 14 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd avoid a 996 like the plague imo.

987 boxster S is a great car and sounds absolutely awesome.

Out of your selection I'd be at 987, m3 or S2k.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
--ToM--

24th Dec 14 at 23:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

M3 over a porsche all day , cheaper to maintain and probably a better investment financially too, also a lot more manly than a Boxter IMO
John

24th Dec 14 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doubt its much cheaper to maintain. More manly than a mid engined, flat 6, without a load of driver aids, can see what you mean.
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

24th Dec 14 at 23:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Doubt its much cheaper to maintain. More manly than a mid engined, flat 6, without a load of driver aids, can see what you mean.

To be fair I said it was a hairdressers car until I drove one. They might not be the prettiest in a lot of peoples eyes but they drive fantastic. I also can't see them being much more expensive to run than the M3.

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
GB123
Premium Member

25th Dec 14 at 00:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The regurgitated Top Gear nonsense comment of hairdresser's car that's applied to anything with 2 seats and a convertible roof never makes sense, genuinely never seen a hairdresser drive anything better than a battered old fiesta.
GB123
Premium Member

25th Dec 14 at 00:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually at best possibly a Fiat 500
Graham88

25th Dec 14 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm too biased for this conversation
--ToM--

26th Dec 14 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't remember mentioning anything about stereotyping it as a hairdressers car once infact I didn't mention the word,think it's you lot jumping to conclusions and making assumptions based on a fair comment

Having worked on both cars I'd rather put a clutch in an m3 than a Boxter I'd rather do general maintenance and servicing on an m3 than a Boxter Aswell because there alot easier and less crammed in. Saving on labour costs making them cheaper to maintain hence my comments, also parts are cheaper depending on what you buy obviously.

Parents have a couple of Porsches and a bmw neither are m3 or Boxter (993 turbo and 356 and 535d). From working on thei Porsches quiet a bit and also a couple of m3s in work that's what my decisions based on .

Ben G

26th Dec 14 at 11:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You said the m3 was more manly than the porsche though.

Truth is, any non car bumming person would see an m3 as a bmw 3 series, which is a family wagon and the boxster as a fancy motor with a nice badge, which means you automatically have lots of money.

[Edited on 26-12-2014 by Ben G]
--ToM--

26th Dec 14 at 11:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I see boxters as a poor mans porsche can pick em up for not alot , no one with 911 money would go yeno what I fancy a Boxter , there bottom of the porsche pecking order , which is why people like getting them for ye reason you just said, symbol status /pub talk , porsche definately sounds a lot more expensive than bmw untill you get onto age model and spec then the bloke your trying to impress realises you've got a ten year old basic spec Boxter , when you initially say porsche there thinking ooooooo nice 911 turbo or something interesting.

I'm probably too biased for this thread also as I fucking hate boxters I think there shit. Where I live it's full of late 20 early 30 year olds driving round in shitty high mileage early boxters with a shit 300 quid private reg on it to try and hide it's age a bit to blend in with all the rich old guys who roll round it all the nice new Carreras and 911s and panameras
John

26th Dec 14 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What if you've bought a 50k new Boxster? Still poor because you've not got a 90k 911?
--ToM--

26th Dec 14 at 13:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The topic isn't about buying a 50 grand new Boxter though is it, allthough I don't like them as a car the new ones look a whole different level of car to the older boxters we are talking about in this thread I.e 10-15k budget, I think for what he wants in my opinion there alot better cars he could buy rather than an old Boxter for the sake of saying "I own a porsche" I think the m3 is a better car all round and just because it looks like a family saloon shouldn't he a reason the porsche is a better choice , bmw m5 looks even more of a family/rep car than an m3 does and there fucking awesome
Jambo

26th Dec 14 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boxers are fantastic. They are highly regarded industry wide as having one of the best chassis available.

Fair enough if you don't like them, but don't doubt their ability and quality IMO.
Jambo

26th Dec 14 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And M3's are great, I've had two and would have another. But for that money, I would want something with the engine in the best place that is small light and focused on driving.

An M3 is a practical car with decent running gear and not really comparable.
taylorboosh

26th Dec 14 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surely you spend that sort of money in the past - when you bought your e46 m3...... So obviously thats what you would buy
John

26th Dec 14 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is an E46 M3 a poor mans F82 M4? It's directly comparable to a 986 Boxster in that it's 2 generations behind.

They're also down to the sort of price that every tom dick and harry can buy one.

What a stupid argument.
Robin
Premium Member

26th Dec 14 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--
I see boxters as a poor mans porsche can pick em up for not alot , no one with 911 money would go yeno what I fancy a Boxter , there bottom of the porsche pecking order , which is why people like getting them for ye reason you just said, symbol status /pub talk , porsche definately sounds a lot more expensive than bmw untill you get onto age model and spec then the bloke your trying to impress realises you've got a ten year old basic spec Boxter , when you initially say porsche there thinking ooooooo nice 911 turbo or something interesting.

I'm probably too biased for this thread also as I fucking hate boxters I think there shit. Where I live it's full of late 20 early 30 year olds driving round in shitty high mileage early boxters with a shit 300 quid private reg on it to try and hide it's age a bit to blend in with all the rich old guys who roll round it all the nice new Carreras and 911s and panameras

I could afford a 996, i'd rather have a Cayman though.
Robin
Premium Member

26th Dec 14 at 14:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, it's Boxster, not Boxter.
gavin18787
Premium Member

26th Dec 14 at 17:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From the reading i have been doing i think out of the porche choices it would be a cayman s. Not fussed about dropping the top and as i have a drive not a garage it may be better in that respect too. Just need to look into running costs.
Also seriously considering gt86. Everyone raves about them and that will be newer, cheaper to run (not that it matters that much) and have more usable space.
Interesting comparison between cayman and gt86 by chris harris

http://youtu.be/JUhLXvxlQR4

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
gavin18787
Premium Member

26th Dec 14 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just worried il get bored of the lower power

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
--ToM--

26th Dec 14 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
quote:
Originally posted by --ToM--

I could afford a 996, i'd rather have a Cayman though.

All good and well saying you can afford a 996 they range from 8 grand for a bland grey interiour high mileage shitter to 30-40 for a decent spec turbo that's a lot newer and onwards to 70 + for a gt3 rs etc, I couldn't afford to spend 30 40 grand for a decent one I could afford 20 but wouldn't because I wouldn't feel I was getting enough car for my money there's a lot better cars out there for the money but that's just my personal opinion.

Also I can't listen to a word that comes out of the guys mouth who said that v8 rs4s are "gay"
--ToM--

26th Dec 14 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do agree though if I HAD to choose between a 996 Boxter or cayman I'd go cayman too as it's nicer looking and seems more car for the money , spec and age wise allthough if I had the choice of any car with a certain budget none of them would be in it but that's me
Ben G

26th Dec 14 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boxster*

<<  1    2    3    4    5  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Thinking of a new car, itchy feet 23 database queries in 0.1110101 seconds