corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Nest thermostat talk to me

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nest thermostat talk to me
whitter45

User status: Offline
5th Nov 14 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
My gas is £30 a month btw.

Hence my point

It's like when energy providers knock on your door and say they can save you 500 a year on utility costs and they don't even know what your annual bill is to start with
DaveyLC

6th Nov 14 at 11:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Now its been in use for more than 24 hours I can access the Energy History feature and it makes for some depressing reading... Yesterday the boiler was on for over 2 hours!

We live in a 1950's house and I know the loft insulation is piss poor.. I'm going to get some quotes to have the old stuff (which resembles a 2" layer of murdered pigeon remains) removed and more efficient stuff installed..

I would do it myself but god only knows what terrible things the old stuff is made of.

[Edited on 06-11-2014 by DaveyLC]
pow
Premium Member

6th Nov 14 at 17:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TWO HOURS?! Haha you gypo Dave
DaveyLC

6th Nov 14 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 and a quarter hours of the boiler burning gas is a lot Mr Pow
pow
Premium Member

6th Nov 14 at 17:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Boiler is on for 4.5 hours a day at Ma and Pa's
DaveyLC

6th Nov 14 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On or burning? If its burning for 4.5 hours solid they must be heating the neighbours too
Ben G

6th Nov 14 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine was on for 5 hours tonight it's not on during the day as theres no one in, so isn't too bad.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

6th Nov 14 at 23:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is an old school clock and trv radiator controls.

It's set to be on for an hour in the morning and 2.5 hours at night at the moment.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesterday was colder than Wednesday and it was on for 3.5 hours.... I'm so getting the roof insulation re-done ASAP
SXI - Matt

7th Nov 14 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
On the way out of PC world last night I noticed the Nest and LIFX display and I just couldn't resist buying one!

It took about an hour to install when I got home and I frigging love it!

We did have a Horstmann wireless thermostat but we just always found our-selves over-riding the schedule on cold days, the Nest is supposed to learn how you like the house and it also takes into account of the temperature outside plus it records how long the house takes to warm up from different internal/external temperatures..

The kit comes with:

* Nest Remote Thermostat.
* Heat-Link unit (this is the gubbins that actually replaces your old thermostat/timer) which also can be used to power/charge the nest.
* USB cable / charger.
* Wall-plate and power/dock for the nest its self.

I got lazy and installed the Heat-link in the place of the old thermostat receiver and then whacked the Nest on the mounting plate/bezel below it, its a 1950s house so cocking about with wiring involves re-plastering so that wont be happening.

I love the fact it turns on as you approach it so you can see the temperature and apparently an update is being released this week which will show you more detail on the thermostat its self including the out-side temperature and what the thermostat is currently up to.. Plus it will also have an auto-schedule feature that will try and calculate when the house needs heating.

Obviously you can cock about with the thermostat from your Smart phone, browser, tablet, pc, laptop etc.. My misses has been having great fun this morning showing the people at her work that she can cook/freeze me remotely

This thing is highly recommended!

[Edited on 05-11-2014 by DaveyLC]

Ok am I right in saying that the white plate will go where my current wheel thermostat is and I can put the best control any where I want? Or does the nest display need to go where my current wheel is and the plate where my boiler control panel is?
SXI - Matt

7th Nov 14 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also what's LIFX display possible being a tard here but I'll ask
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt

Ok am I right in saying that the white plate will go where my current wheel thermostat is and I can put the best control any where I want? Or does the nest display need to go where my current wheel is and the plate where my boiler control panel is?

The Heat-Link (the white box with the round button in the middle) is designed to replace your Programmer, if your thermostat is 240v it can also replace that (the Heat-link requires a 240v feed).

If your thermostat isn't 240v you replace it with the Heat-link box, replace your thermostat with the Nest and use a pair of the existing thermostat wires as the 12v/data link.

Probably next summer I'm going to re-install mine by moving the heat-link to where the programmer is so it looks a bit tidier.

[Edited on 07-11-2014 by DaveyLC]
John

7th Nov 14 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

LIFX is a wifi bulb.

For nest/heatlink placement you really have to speak to whoever will be fitting it. It's simple when you know how it all works but when you don't, it's difficult to say without seeing what's wired where currently.

Basically both can go anywhere, the heatlink connects directly to the boiler, the nest either needs connected to the heatlink with wires, or, connects wirelessly but you then need basically a phone charger to power the nest, wherever you want to put it.
John

7th Nov 14 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The Heat-Link (the white box with the round button in the middle) is designed to replace your Programmer

Only if you have a combi, if you've got a system boiler with a hot water tank the programmer is still required.

You obviously know enough about this to plug a couple of wires in Davey but don't think you get how loads of it works.
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
quote:

The Heat-Link (the white box with the round button in the middle) is designed to replace your Programmer

Only if you have a combi, if you've got a system boiler with a hot water tank the programmer is still required.

You obviously know enough about this to plug a couple of wires in Davey but don't think you get how loads of it works.

Sorry I always assume most people have got Combi/Condensing boilers these days
John

7th Nov 14 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still incorrect.

I've got a condensing boiler but need the programmer.
SXI - Matt

7th Nov 14 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a boiler in the kitchen and a large hot water tank in the spare room so assuming I'll need to keep the white digital programmer that's under the current boiler?

Will the tech then need to install the heat link next to this?

As for the nest thermo stat its battery isn't it so can just charge it when needs charging? Hoping the current one has a power feed so I don't need to work about charging it.
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Still incorrect.

I've got a condensing boiler but need the programmer.

You've got a traditional hot-water tank? unlucky.
John

7th Nov 14 at 08:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That proves my point really. Can your combi run 3 showers at the same time?

Do you even know if a combi is more efficient than a hot water tank or not?

Matt, no, needs power all the time.

[Edited on 07-11-2014 by John]
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Its only less efficient if you use up ALL of the hot water you have prepared STRAIGHT after its been prepared, simple physics my deer Watson..
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And I can't spell DEAR.
DaveyLC

7th Nov 14 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
As for the nest thermo stat its battery isn't it so can just charge it when needs charging? Hoping the current one has a power feed so I don't need to work about charging it.

You could, but you'd be doing it very regularly you don't actually need to hard-mount it, there is a nice brushed alloy desk stand available and the unit its self comes with a USB cable / power supply.
Rob_Quads

7th Nov 14 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Its only less efficient if you use up ALL of the hot water you have prepared STRAIGHT after its been prepared, simple physics my deer Watson..

but the key bit is how much less efficient is it really. i.e. real £££. I've never seen a proper report where they have taken a sample 3 bet family house (with multiple showers etc) and then compared how the two could perform.

For me to have gone for a Combi over the normal system was going to cost me an additional £1000 and the the recommended one for handling an extra bathroom we are putting in was over £1500. If i am only going to be in the house for another 5 years thats almost £400 ever year that needs to be saved. Thats a hell of a lot for it to save.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

7th Nov 14 at 19:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£400 a year is £33 a month.

Could have been worth the gamble if you had the extra cash.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
DaveyLC

10th Nov 14 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Nest is trying to get clever now by working out when I'm not home slightly annoying when it gets its wrong and I get start feeling cold

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll