corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » The next thermostat related issue on the XE

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The next thermostat related issue on the XE
Rich H

User status: Offline
   13th Feb 10 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, finally had some time to replace the thermostat on my car today. Essay coming up I'm afraid, but only way to explain it!

With the old thermostat, it was leaking between the housing and the block. The housing was also looking pretty worse for wear from previous coolant leaking all over it. When the car was running though, it used to never go above 90 on the temp gauge, which made me think it may have been a cool running kit, and was another reason I wanted to replace it (aside to the leak)

Went to remove old thermostat, the 3rd bolt was fooked - already sheared off and just sitting there, the bolt is in the block of the engine - tried an extractor but it wouldn't shift. Circled in green:

So, fitted new thermostat and housing to see what happens. Refitted with the 2 remaining bolts and a healthy dose of liquid gasket / sealant stuff. At this point though, I notice the new O ring seal barely fills the recess on the housing, whereas the O ring on the old one fitted a lot better. Refilled coolant, started and left to run to get up to temperature (90) - no sign of leaks etc.

Took the car a mile down the road and temp gauge is up to 92 (normal with a proper 92 degree thermostat on yeh?) but smoke coming out from the front - pull over and coolant is dripping out all round the thermostat housing. Turn round, get home and the temp is up to 94 and leaking a fair bit. It's not really driveable atm.

So my questions:

Best bet to sort sheared bolt: drill out bolt and re tap new thread?

Where can I get a new suitable seal / O Ring on a Sunday (need to try and fix it tomorrow!)

Where on the temp gauge should I expect the needle to sit? I'm used to it not even going above 90, but sure that isn't right.

Advice yet again please!
ed

13th Feb 10 at 17:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to confirm: You've refitted it, but only using 2 bolts? If you have, that's why it's leaking.

Also, by housing you mean the upper part, and not the part in the picture too? I wouldn't even bother trying to drill out the bolt, I'd replace the whole thing unless you've got yourself a nice pillar drill and some carbide drill bits. Doing something that small will be a pain in the arse.

Use the old o-ring if it fits. I presume you aren't using genuine parts? I've bought parts before which have come with new o-rings which bare no resemblance to what was previously on the engine!

Temp gauge should sit in the middle which is ~90 degrees. It's hardly a precision instrument though so I wouldn't worry too much unless it goes into the red!

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by ed]
Rich H

13th Feb 10 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will have to take more pics in the morning if needs be, but:

Yes refitted with 2 bolts - which is essentially what the old thermostat was held on with too as the 3rd bolt was fooked before I even touched it!

The thermostat is a Calorstat one from Euro Car Parts. Neither the seal off the old thermostat I've removed or the seal supplied with the thermostat fit - the old one was too big, the new one was a bit too small.

I can't remove that bottom part from the block though can I? At least it doesn't look like it.

Temp gauge - old thermostat it used to sit no higher than 90 (ie. the first line on the gauge), with the new thermostat fitted it went up to the line above 90 (ie. 92 I think) . I know it's not an accurate gauge, but that's quite a difference imo lol. I'm hoping that's because the old thermostat I've removed was a cool running kit though (82 degrees) and the new one is a proper 92 degree one...
SportBoy

13th Feb 10 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the bottom part of it is held on with 2 bolts. allen key ones i think.
Rich H

13th Feb 10 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just been out and checked, and yep appears so - how I missed that earlier I don't know

Seems to be where the purple arrows point to (left is underneath, right is pretty much visible in the photo) they both look pretty corroded but does that sound about right? Then am I right in thinking there is a gasket there too?
Richardhhha

13th Feb 10 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there will be a gasket yes and them bolts will be tighter than a nuns arse rich

i've drilled similar bolts out before but your better off replacing the housing.. and the o'rings are shit i've bought a few from vaux and they are pidely thin things that are sposed to be a improved part

[Edited on 13-02-2010 by Richardhhha]
Rich H

13th Feb 10 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've hopefully got a lower housing sorted - awaiting confirmation on it definitely being ok from ecclesturbo tomorrow. Gaskets should be able to sort from Autovaux on Monday as I've already had prices for them from them last week.

So fingers crossed!
Vaux Lad

13th Feb 10 at 23:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If youve got the space under the lip of the housing you could just drill that bolt out and fit a bolt and nut on the other side.....

New Poll