corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » update on my engine

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author update on my engine
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

User status: Offline
14th Sep 06 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

after stripping down the throttle bodies, cleaning and rebalancing them and a bit more mapping and some cam timing adjustments its now making much better, more usable power. rather than a 8500 rpm limit its making the power a lot lower down, I have sacrificed 3.6 bhp and 6 ft/lb of torque but the benefits are massive. its now making a perfectly smooth torque curve all the way to 7600 rpm and max power is now at 7700 rpm so rather than torque dropping off at high rpm it pulls so hard all the way to the limiter and is startaight back into the power after gearchanges.

new figures are 176 bhp and 124 ft/lb of torque.

just goes to show that its not about the figures, its all in the mapping and how the power is delivered and how usable it is. also now its making max power 800rpm lower my engine should last a bit longer
Robin
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 10:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

graph looks good.
Dave A

14th Sep 06 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

apart from it taken on a dodgy angle on my phone
Marc

14th Sep 06 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still a healthy figure.
CorsaChris12

14th Sep 06 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want lol next time am up mate will have to take us out in it.
RKS

14th Sep 06 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good results matey
Dean_W

14th Sep 06 at 12:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't think i can draw a line that straight myself

Good result Dave
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 13:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

man people are catching up slowly lol! 14bhp more to go for the standard rods and pistons record haha!

mapping is a massave part of how the engine works, infact its the biggest part, you can throw all the money at it you want, but without the right mapping it will either die or not make power.

Dave A

14th Sep 06 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

enough of the 'catching up' mark.

at least mine works
Gregor

14th Sep 06 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bloody hell that must be quick
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
enough of the 'catching up' mark.

at least mine works

pmsl, i have bits flying in to fix mine, just no money at the moment to buy one vital part, soon as i have the money for that ill be back with lots of ponies.

good work tho, its good to see more development from the 1.6's, there wasnt much development for ages, only andy h really, now we have a small handful of tb's 1.6's.
Dave A

14th Sep 06 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cant wait for it to be finished mark (yours that is) might give me the motivation to do more with mine.
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 18:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was happy with mine for ages, was tempted to just leave it as it was really but then the inevitable happened, so it was either go standard bottom end ported head and standard cams or go all out.

im excited to see how it does when i have completed it, it shouldn't cost to much will have stuff that wont necessarily be really needed to run the power im after but hay everyone loves trick stuff lol!

id like to see how yours compared to my old spec, yours has interior still yes?
Paul_J

14th Sep 06 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster I think my car's falling into the 'die' category... Not sure if it's mapping related or what.

but car keeps stopping and cutting out when I'm sitting at lights idling, or busy junctions...

Then I'm unable to start the car again for at least 5 mins.

Fucking pain in the arse in rush hour to work, keep the revs up and you look like a boy racer, let them fall and you block loads of rush hour drivers in who are not happy.

Now starting to mis fire when driving normally
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

paul, i wouldnt say thats mapping related, the map wont physically change from one dayu to the next, it sounds more sensor related.... seems like it could be lean when its hot, hence the issue with starting it....... get it booked in somewhere and see what they can do.
Dave A

14th Sep 06 at 18:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

broster, mine is now sort of stripped with cage and buckets. still have the front doorcards and dash.
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 18:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cool, i took the dgrinder to the bulk head its so much fun lol, heater matrix is now out aswell as it the fan etc.....

it actaully costs a lot to have a light car lol!

got any pics with your cage?
Dave A

14th Sep 06 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only one....

davey_jack

14th Sep 06 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seems like Dave has got the right idea with producing more usable power as opposed to a higher max power figure, your new firm should be pretty successful!
TNM

14th Sep 06 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
broster I think my car's falling into the 'die' category... Not sure if it's mapping related or what.

but car keeps stopping and cutting out when I'm sitting at lights idling, or busy junctions...

Then I'm unable to start the car again for at least 5 mins.

Fucking pain in the arse in rush hour to work, keep the revs up and you look like a boy racer, let them fall and you block loads of rush hour drivers in who are not happy.

Now starting to mis fire when driving normally

stepper motor
broster
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 22:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davey_jack
Seems like Dave has got the right idea with producing more usable power as opposed to a higher max power figure, your new firm should be pretty successful!

Higher max power figures are good in moderation, eg i had 190bhp but i had alot of usable power aswell, would be interesting to overlay my graph with daves.....
davey_jack

14th Sep 06 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

True but max power tends to work good on a car used for drag racing, where as Dave's setup is better for road use, or circuit racing.
Robin
Premium Member

14th Sep 06 at 22:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not about figures, its about the torque curve. the flatter the curve, the better the car is to drive.
broster
Premium Member

15th Sep 06 at 14:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by davey_jack
True but max power tends to work good on a car used for drag racing, where as Dave's setup is better for road use, or circuit racing.

nope, torque is good for drag strips, hence you have big american v8's doing fast times, i.e. danny bates f150

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » update on my engine 23 database queries in 0.0132101 seconds