corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Nest thermostat talk to me

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3    4  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Nest thermostat talk to me
SXI - Matt

User status: Offline
23rd Oct 14 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

https://nest.com/uk/thermostat/life-with-nest-thermostat/

Any one got one or no much about them? Looking into a digital thermostat to replace my tacky wheel one that comes standard and that will also possibly save some ££££ and give me easy control.
Gary
Premium Member

23rd Oct 14 at 19:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just chuck a timer next to boiler
Ben G

23rd Oct 14 at 20:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

B&q have them set up as demo's in my local store. Lovely looking bit of kit and the reviews are very good.

I looked at them but only saw them in black whereas I wanted a white one, so fancy going for the heatmiser neostat instead.

Keep meaning to buy it actually along with a couple of those fancy fire alarms that talk.

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by Ben G]
SXI - Matt

23rd Oct 14 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The heatmiser neostat looks decent a fair whack cheaper to. I love the look of the nest though very sharp and smart, the reviews are very good as well.

There many more around? Only just started looking at them as noticed the nest on the gadget show.
SXI - Matt

23rd Oct 14 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok same price I was looking at the wrong product

Trying to find some touch sensitive light switches as well there just so expensive when you have so many to replace as well

[Edited on 23-10-2014 by SXI - Matt]
Dave

23rd Oct 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hive.

I've been looking into these a bit, I'm with British Gas so Hive is £149, however if I switch to npower they are offering Nest for free, and it's cheaper than my current tariff.
John

23rd Oct 14 at 20:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got one, its nice. As the heating has been on though, practically, its not any different from an old fashioned one for my lifestyle.

I'd still buy it again though because its a well designed bit of kit.
SXI - Matt

23rd Oct 14 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was looking at the Npower will compare with my current tarrif tomorrow and see what that works out like, good deal with installation as well.

John am i right in saying it replaces the digital control near the boiler and the little plastic dial thermostat you normally get?

John

23rd Oct 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a base unit that you wire to the boiler then then the thermostat itself. If you've got a combi you can do away with everything, if its a system boiler with a hot water tank, you keep the current programmer and the nest would just replace the dial.
SXI - Matt

23rd Oct 14 at 21:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah excellent, I've got a tank system so this would do away with the dial think I'll go with one just need to find the best way now.
VegasPhil
Premium Member

24th Oct 14 at 17:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might looks at the power deal now!

Edit. Checked out the npower deal. Nest in indeed free but the exit fees are quite hefty and the tariff works out to be quite pricey. Not for me.

[Edited on 24-10-2014 by VegasPhil]

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
SXI - Matt

24th Oct 14 at 19:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I looked in to it earlier £100 to leave on duel fuel and £100 a year more.

Better off buying it out right for £130 if the savings are correct it'll pay its self off just after a year and way
VegasPhil
Premium Member

24th Oct 14 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It looks quite good I must say. Been looking on YouTube at reviews.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
John

24th Oct 14 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is nest not £200?

I'd also be doubtful of any savings unless you've got some wildly varying heating requirements.

[Edited on 24-10-2014 by John]
Ben G

24th Oct 14 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah 200 quid, but if you know someone who works at waitrose/john Lewis, you can get 12.5% off.

How would you go about removing the current spinny wheel dial? I'd prefer to remove mine rather than have it in an odd place on my feature wall.
SXI - Matt

25th Oct 14 at 06:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah you right well £179 from b&q for the kit, I guess you can reposition it any where as its wireless. One of the
Reasons I want mine going its smack bang in the middle of a walk in my hall way.

Just remove it all and plaster over then mount the nest where ever you want it do we know how much the installation is if you use a 'best' trained engineer?
John

25th Oct 14 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nest needs power even though its wireless so take that into consideration. I fitted it myself too.
SXI - Matt

25th Oct 14 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it easy enough to fit? Thinking of running the power source from the love of a near by light switch?
John

25th Oct 14 at 11:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The box that connects to the boiler needs mains and the dial unit needs either 12v from the first box or a USB cable.

I thought it was pretty easy to fit but it'll be difficult if you've got no experience of anything like that.
Dave

25th Oct 14 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Probably going to switch to npower and get one of these. Still £80 cheaper than my current deal, the most I could save is £120 so even though I'm tied for two years it's still only £80 more (or £160 less if you look at it another way).
DaveyLC

5th Nov 14 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On the way out of PC world last night I noticed the Nest and LIFX display and I just couldn't resist buying one!

It took about an hour to install when I got home and I frigging love it!

We did have a Horstmann wireless thermostat but we just always found our-selves over-riding the schedule on cold days, the Nest is supposed to learn how you like the house and it also takes into account of the temperature outside plus it records how long the house takes to warm up from different internal/external temperatures..

The kit comes with:

* Nest Remote Thermostat.
* Heat-Link unit (this is the gubbins that actually replaces your old thermostat/timer) which also can be used to power/charge the nest.
* USB cable / charger.
* Wall-plate and power/dock for the nest its self.

I got lazy and installed the Heat-link in the place of the old thermostat receiver and then whacked the Nest on the mounting plate/bezel below it, its a 1950s house so cocking about with wiring involves re-plastering so that wont be happening.

I love the fact it turns on as you approach it so you can see the temperature and apparently an update is being released this week which will show you more detail on the thermostat its self including the out-side temperature and what the thermostat is currently up to.. Plus it will also have an auto-schedule feature that will try and calculate when the house needs heating.

Obviously you can cock about with the thermostat from your Smart phone, browser, tablet, pc, laptop etc.. My misses has been having great fun this morning showing the people at her work that she can cook/freeze me remotely

This thing is highly recommended!

[Edited on 05-11-2014 by DaveyLC]
DaveyLC

5th Nov 14 at 11:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The best bit is, I work from home and when I feel a bit chilly I don't have to go down stairs/remember to bring up the old remote thermostat... I can just open a browser and turn the heating on
Ben G

5th Nov 14 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh right, I didn't know the receiver came with it. So you can just put that in place of your old dial thermostat?

Saves me taking it off the wall and re-wallpapering.
DaveyLC

5th Nov 14 at 11:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Correct

It also has a 12v DC output specifically for the Nest unit its self hence why I stuck them right next to each other.
DaveyLC

5th Nov 14 at 11:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

....Oh and to complicate matters the Nest unit communicates with the Heat-Link over the same pair of wires it uses for the 12v DC feed... But I think this connection only needs to be in-place when you first set it up so you can configure the WIFI settings etc. on the Heat-link.

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

New Poll