corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Advice for hiding tv cables in chimney breast

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Advice for hiding tv cables in chimney breast
thegsi

User status: Offline
28th Nov 13 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right, I've just bought my first house yay! Anyway, the chimney breast is solid brick and I want to mount my tv on it and hide all cables. The way I intend to do this is to build a false corner box from plaster board on the chimney breast then drill through the face of the chimney breast to the corner, allowing me to feed cables into the box and to any source. The problem I have is the chimney breast is quite a bit wider than my tv so I need to somehow drill the hole for cabling somewhere in the middle so the tv hides the hole. Has anyone got any advice or tips how to go about this?
John

28th Nov 13 at 21:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what you mean? Just drill through the middle of where the TV will be and drill another hole out where the false box would be?
JackAndertonx16xe

28th Nov 13 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could chase it out and put metal conduit in it so your cables are hidden and protected at the same time, and just skim over it so you wouldn't know it was there , and for any reason you needed to take the cable out you can knock the plaster off and take the conduit cover off
thegsi

28th Nov 13 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Not sure what you mean? Just drill through the middle of where the TV will be and drill another hole out where the false box would be?

Yeh sorry it's a bit tricky to explain. If the hole was say 6" in from the chimneys corner, I could literally drill at an angle through the corner but I need to drill more towards the centre so the hole isn't exposed. Surely drilling all the way through the chimney from the side and face and getting them to meet is going to be pretty difficult?
John

28th Nov 13 at 21:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will you be using it as a chimney? Do you have current access from where a fire used to be or whatever?

If you don't have access I think I might know what you mean, chasing it out would probably be a better idea for that.
thegsi

28th Nov 13 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Will you be using it as a chimney? Do you have current access from where a fire used to be or whatever?

If you don't have access I think I might know what you mean, chasing it out would probably be a better idea for that.

No there's an electric fire in place at the moment. Is there some sort of masonry routing tool for that?
JackAndertonx16xe

28th Nov 13 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A bolster hammer and bolster chisel and some good old hard work , you can actually get long masonry drill bits that electricians use and you could just drill a hole in the centre of your chimney breast and on the other side of the breast where you want the wire to come out just drill a hole lining up with the other hole if you get me ? Sort of like a tunnel haha
John

28th Nov 13 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer and a bolster.

New Poll