corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Opening up a fireplace for wood burning stove

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Opening up a fireplace for wood burning stove
baza31

User status: Offline
   2nd Oct 12 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone done it? Decided to rip out a gas fire on a house am renovating , knocked off plaster and found a large stone lintel , so this week am gonna knock all the guts out and hope the house doesn't fall down is there any recommendations on process to take?

[Edited on 03-10-2012 by baza31]
RichR
Premium Member

2nd Oct 12 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've done and am in the process of doing it right now. I'll post pics tomorrow but be prepared for the expense. A decent stove will be around £1000; the flue liner, register plate, vermiculite etc etc will add the best part of another £500+.

I have a 4.5kw clearview pioneer stove going in
drunkenfool

2nd Oct 12 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will be doing this before Xmas hopefully, the rest of the renovation is done apart from the wood burner. I'm looking to get the Invicta Ove :-)
baza31

3rd Oct 12 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am hoping I'll do it for a grand all in . Where is vermiculite used? Cheers
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Vermiculite lines the space between the flue liner and chimney. i.e. it insulates the flue liner as it passes through the house

not got any of it with the gas fire fitted but after ripping the gas fire out:

temporary fire which was the only heatign for 6months

The stove, painted in custom Gunmetal grey with brushed steel handles rather than the standard black with brass handles

last christmas

Lintel in

I'm taking next week off to line the chimney, plaster the breast and reveal and get the fire fitted so I'll update over the next couple of weeks
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 08:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

one of the msot improtant pieces of advice is to not over spec the stove. If its too powerful in too small a house, it will be wound in all the time meaning it'll burn inefficiently and coke up. Its much better to go small and burn efficiently as you'll spend less time cleaning it, sweeping the chimney, etc etc

Its also worth spending the money on a decent one. you can buy cheaper but you'll regret it ultimately. Mine above has triple burn technology so it burns off 99% of the particulates and gasses whilst running air down the window to keep it clear. It means hardly any smoke makes it up the chimney and you get even more efficiency and less cleaning time once its up and running
mwg

3rd Oct 12 at 08:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you get a bigger stove that's still a low output? I prefer a bigger looking stove to fill the fire place, you could get one twice the size in there Rich. Plus I am sick of people asking me to supply them small logs! It's a PITA!

[Edited on 03-10-2012 by mwg]
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 08:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

possibly, but I didn't want to overkill the room; its not a bad size room once the extensions on but I don't think it needs anything bigger.

It does tend to be bigger fire = bigger output though.
mwg

3rd Oct 12 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It does look nice still. It'd look good with a load of wood stacked either side of it too. I'll get a pic of my Uncles burner at the weekend with wood stacked all round it.
baza31

3rd Oct 12 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you have to use this vermiculite ? How do you install it? Does it go all the way down the flue?
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 10:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, its granule, you just pour it in from the top once your liner is in and connected to your register plate. It also stops the liner from moving in the chimney

quote:
100litre BAG OF VERMICULITE INSULATION FOR BACKFILLING THE CHIMNEY AROUND THE LINER.

Vermiculite is a light weight naturally occurring mineral which is an excellent heat insulator.

It can be used to pour back down the chimney filling the void between the brick chinmey and the flexible flue liner.

This will improve the performance of your stove by ensuring the flue gases stay warm enough to escape quickly therefore ensuring the draw of the chimney stays strong.
It also massively reduces condesation of the flue gases ensuring your flue liner has a much longer life.

Each bag is light weight and full of small particles which can easily be poured back down the chimney.

Vermiculite can also be used to backfill the void behind cast iron fireplaces and clay fire backs.

Backfilling your liner is not essential but it definitely helps. Also, as the Vermiculite aids performance and efficiency of your stove, you will be using less fuel.

AndyKent

3rd Oct 12 at 12:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats a really good size one - like that a lot.

Defo get pictures up when painted/plastered Rich.

If you have a big room then a big fire, but all to often people fill the width of the chimney in a small room and it looks silly. Same problem as a massive TV in an average size room tbh.
RichR
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 12:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes I agree. I also wanted to be able to have things on the hearth and down the sides etc. which if I'd gone any bigger wouldn't have been possible. Plus bigger tends to equal deeper which tends to mean having to run the hearth out further to mee building regs (300mm from the front to any combustible material and 150mm from the top and sides. Plus a minimum 12mm thich hearth where you have a hearth temperature of <100degrees)

My hearth is 12.7mm (nominal) Limestone but on top of a brick built foundation off the main house foundations so solid as a rock
Graeme
Premium Member

3rd Oct 12 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just bought a house with one in. It's 9kw one but smaller than yours. I believe it kicks out a lot of heat. A friend who is a gas fitter said about the ones of eBay that can be bought can be bad. Chinese crap that is dangerous and most they can't fit.
AK

4th Oct 12 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

from here onwards http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=366998&page=12
baza31

4th Oct 12 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
from here onwards http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=366998&page=12
well I took the fireplace on today . Was actually a piece of piss . Hardest bit was lifting a stone lintel out which weighed a ton. Took a load of brick out and was very messy . Took 3 hour start to finish with a hand. Dredding getting up on roof to clean chimney and drop a liner down . Also found a dead bird which I put in my mates toolbox which he will find in morning .

Pics

drunkenfool

5th Oct 12 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
one of the msot improtant pieces of advice is to not over spec the stove. If its too powerful in too small a house, it will be wound in all the time meaning it'll burn inefficiently and coke up. Its much better to go small and burn efficiently as you'll spend less time cleaning it, sweeping the chimney, etc etc

That's really good advice - the one I was looking at is rated at 10kw which I guess is going to be too big for our house. It's the only one that I've found that I really like though!
Gary
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 15:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Far too small.
Ben G

5th Oct 12 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE

Lintel in

that looks fantastic, although it looks like OJC's birds house.
RichR
Premium Member

5th Oct 12 at 15:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks Ben, I'm taking next week off to get the chimney lined, register plate made up, final fit the oak lintel, plaster the chimney breast and reveal and then hopefully get the fire in and running so I'll update my renovation thread after I've done that lot
mwg

13th Oct 12 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

laingyla

16th Oct 12 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mum and dad have got one when we go round in the winter when it's on the windows, doors are always open hahaha they get soooo hot love them
Lee_fr200

17th Oct 12 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd love a proper fire, but just don't see it happening, house is fairly modern and in a smoke free area plus I wouldn't have a clue about the chimney etc.. The house came with a gas fire back in '88 and at the mo it's still got that in
RichR
Premium Member

18th Oct 12 at 08:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You don't need a chimney as such, use a twin wall flue-the stainless pipe you often see running up the outside of buildings. It's normally when the chimney either isn't suitable, isn't in the right place or there isn't a chimney. You also get plenty of stoves which are suitable for smoke free zones. Mine has some triple burn technology Shizzle which means it buns off the particulates in the gas so it doesn't smoke; a smokey chimney is a sign of an inefficient fire so there's plenty of was round but its costly
Lee_fr200

18th Oct 12 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmmm, will look into it, we have just been approved out mortgage and got 10k extra (well 7.5 after solicitor is paid) we have to do driveway doors facias bathroom and fireplace with 7.5k! (gulp!)

New Poll