corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Wood Burning Stove/Boilers

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wood Burning Stove/Boilers
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
19th Sep 11 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone got one? Been thinking of one as got access to a lot of wood foc.
theres so many out there with different KW, what would i need for 7 radiators, 3 bed terrace house?
VegasPhil
Premium Member

19th Sep 11 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it not a bit of a pain in the arse having it as a boiler? Could see it affecting the value of your property.

What about having a feature log burner in the living room or something. That would probably kick out enough heat for you yo not have to use half the rads in your house.

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Gary
Premium Member

19th Sep 11 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Running radiators is a massive pain. Gran has it in her house and its a right fuck on.

Proper log burning stove in the living room on the other hand are awesome
Tom J
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what makes it a pain mate? i need a boiler and i want a log burner too so thought it would save £ plus with gas prices going up too
mwg

20th Sep 11 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whats your supply of wood like? It needs to have a moisture content of less than 25%, ideally 20% for a wood burner or it wont burn efficiently and you'll get tar building up in the flue.

I sell fire wood as my 2nd job, you need it to have been seasoned for at least 12 months to get it dry enough for a wood burner.

You might know all that already but worth mentioning as the amount of people that don't have a clue when thinking about getting a wood burner is crazy

[Edited on 20-09-2011 by mwg]
John

20th Sep 11 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A log burner boiler will probably be more expensive than a normal gas boiler and a log burner separately.
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 11:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a Clearview Pioneer 400 on long legs and Dad has a Pioneer 400 with short legs as well as a Solution400. In his house, when the fires are going, the oil heating never kicks in; none are used for water heating or the radiators via a back boiler, however, there are Clearview back boilers available
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 11:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, don't make the mistake of oversizing your log burner,there isn't a huge amount of heat control and if you shut back a larger one to reduce the output heat, it'll coke up and burn inefficiently. Mine is 4.5kW (iirc) and more than sufficient for a 3bed semi. A friend has put a 7kW in the same sized house and they hate it as they're constantly havign to clean it, sweep the chimney etc etc. Mine barely needs cleaning. In essence it is better to have a smaller unit buring efficiently than a bigger unit burning inefficiently.

Mine ahs triple burn technology so burns off the emitted gas too making it even cleaner.

I guess final thing is to check if you're in a no-smoke zone
Gary
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 12:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also repeating what phil said. I wpuldnt buy a house with heating run off a log burner
RichR
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 12:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mine pre-installation; it sits on a Slate hearth with an oak lintel. Finished in charcoal paint (Graphite not black) and satin handles not brass
Tom J
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 17:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mwg-thanks, know all about the wood seasoning, can't believe some people do. was going to get a moisture meter just to be sure. how much do you sell the wood for mate? (just for an idea on price)

Lee- I've heard that about oversizing, the one i've looked at claims 8kw goes to heating the water and 4kw to the room. not in a smokeless zone.

if i was ever to move (years and years away) i would stick a gas boiler in

mwg

20th Sep 11 at 17:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£80 a cubic metre this year seen as I'm just starting out and want to get some customers on board.
A large log supplier nearish me is selling at £110 for a dumpy bag which is approx 0.75 of a cubic metre.

So I'll be putting mine up to £95-£100 a cubic metre next year.

I've got a Stihl moisture metre for checking my wood with.

Tom J
Premium Member

20th Sep 11 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

where do you get all your wood from then if you don't mind me asking? and is it all sawn up in small pieces or how does it turn up when delivered? (30cm ish pieces?)

[Edited on 20-09-2011 by Tom J]
mwg

20th Sep 11 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Uncle has a farm with quite a lot of woodland so I'm doing general woodland maintenance for him, sorting out dead trees, thinning out the woods, fallen trees, trees undermining walls etc.

I start with felling full size trees, then cut them in to lengths, pick it up with the tractor and trailer, take it back to my wood stacking area and leave it a few months to dry. Then cut it in to log lengths between 8 and 12 inches long and split it. Then wait for it to get dry enough to sell.

This is some of the stuff I've got ready to sell.

Got twice as much as that sat waiting to be cut and split in to logs at some point Plus all the trees I've started cutting ready to season for next year

RichR
Premium Member

21st Sep 11 at 08:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I feel your pain, Dad and I buy a hi-ab trailer load of unsawn trunks every 18months or so which we split between 3 of us. We then cut and split the lot in a couple of weekends and get it stored.

You considered a log splitter Matt as opposed to axe?
mwg

21st Sep 11 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have but I can split logs faster than a log splitter and its a good work out Get an old tractor tyre and fill it with logs then a few quick smashes with the axe and its done.

This video shows what I mean but I'm using a much bigger tyre to fit more logs in at once http://youtu.be/bRuk_jd1f8M?t=2m57s

I'm doing this most weekends too not just every now and then so getting quite strong lifting and splitting all this wood.

[Edited on 21-09-2011 by mwg]
mattk

5th Oct 11 at 18:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have one in the living room, and its great, we burn any old shite, have tons of logs in the back yard under a tarpoline, it flys through them in the winter

house Ive just bought has one in every roon
mattk

6th Oct 11 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

has it got a heat leak on it, to stop the water in the heating boiling?
Tom J
Premium Member

10th Oct 11 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what is the silver thing with the wire coming out of it some sort of pump?

matt k, how exactly do these heat leaks work? surely if its a radiator once its fully hot enough the water will still boil
Tom

11th Oct 11 at 15:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My birds parents have just got an 1800kw one in there living room, it's huge! I'm not sure how far they push heat out though?
RichR
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 15:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

won't be 1800kW

the biggest clearview stove is only 12kW

[Edited on 11-10-2011 by LiVe LeE]
Gary
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 16:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Still a daft idea imo
mattk

11th Oct 11 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tom J
what is the silver thing with the wire coming out of it some sort of pump?

matt k, how exactly do these heat leaks work? surely if its a radiator once its fully hot enough the water will still boil

yeah thats a normal central heating pump, more of a circulator more than a pump. but still refered to as a pump. doesnt really have to be placed there, could be put somewhere more discreet if needed

the heat leak would be a big radiator somewhere, big enough to loose the heat, normaly put them in the loft where it is freezing cold, obviously couldnt here if the tank is only positioned in the next room and not the loft
RichR
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
Still a daft idea imo

what's a daft idea?
Gary
Premium Member

11th Oct 11 at 16:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Central heating off a wood burner.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll