corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » British Gas - Boiler & Pipe Cover

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author British Gas - Boiler & Pipe Cover
Kathryn W

User status: Offline
30th Oct 09 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does anyone have the insurance which British Gas offer that covers your boiler/pipes/drains etc?

After discovering that we have a gas leak from somewhere within the house and the boiler not being the best of health i thought it'd be worth getting it...

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/products-and-services/maintenance-and-repair.html
eddiewhiteley

30th Oct 09 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i might be wrong, but before they will insure you i think they come and do an inspection so if the boiler needs any work you have to get that done before you can get the insurance.
Kathryn W

30th Oct 09 at 21:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ayee someone else has just told me that to!

deanmcreynolds26

30th Oct 09 at 22:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can pay more intially if you have a fault and it makes your monthly payment more!
Andrew

31st Oct 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was speaking to a girl i work with regarding this as she has just had to have a new boiler fitted. They come out and inspect.

I have it on my flat after getting them to fit a new boiler around 6 years ago. Had to call them a few times
Ren

31st Oct 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for the HomeServices department at British Gas. Technically, it's not insurance as it's a care product, but yeah, we do a First Inspection of the boiler when you take out the contract - but if work needed doing to it, then we wouldn't be able to take you on contract right away, as we'd need to do a repair on the boiler for a one-off fee of £99 (regardless of cost of parts, labour etc). If everything is working ok, but it's just a bit worse for wear, you haven't got anything to lose by taking out the contract and seeing what the engineer says on the first inspection. After that you're allowed unlimited parts and labour and unlimited call outs, so you're cared for incase of a future problem.

With the gas leak you've had, if you wanted that looked after you'd have to have the Homecare 400 package. It's the only package that has the Internal Gas pipes repaired and maintained. You can't get this as a standalone product either. I'm not entirely sure if we'd be able to do that though, as it's an existing problem you'd have to state that (unless you got it fixed) and you won't be able to blag it as the engineer does a thorough inspection on the first visit.

By the way, I know this sounds like a sales pitch, but it really doesn't affect me whether you take this out or not - just letting you know the ins and outs, and if you need any help with it just let me know and I'll do my best to tell you more.

[Edited on 31-10-2009 by Ren]
Ren

31st Oct 09 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deanmcreynolds26
can pay more intially if you have a fault and it makes your monthly payment more!

Just thought I'd let you know that this isn't the case, as by taking the 'Repair and Care' contract, you're paying a £99 one off fee, and then the normal monthly cost afterwards. It doesn't make your monthly payments any more than they would of been without the fault.
Gaz

31st Oct 09 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rang up earlier and explained that we have been informed of a gas leak - no smells etc and she said that its not to worry about...

Also got a deal with the Home Care 400 so paying cheaper for that which im glad about with everything that it includes!

deanmcreynolds26

1st Nov 09 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren
quote:

Just thought I'd let you know that this isn't the case, as by taking the 'Repair and Care' contract, you're paying a £99 one off fee, and then the normal monthly cost afterwards. It doesn't make your monthly payments any more than they would of been without the fault.

there is such a thing in place in scotland, pay a one off fee and then pay more think its £22 for homecare 200 for the rest of the year then reverts back to the normal cost, cant remember the jobcode, maybe they have changed it now as it changes so often.

Scotland is trialing a few new offers at the moment as well..
Im an engineer for scottish gas
John_C

1st Nov 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If i was in your postion id buy a new boiler for circa £500 and install circa £200. £700 all in is more cost effective over a 5 year period than paying £20-30 a month + £50 a call out.

Over 5 years

New boiler = 700
Contract @ £25 a month = 1500 + call out fees

A new boiler is unlikely to have any probs over the first 5 yrs. Added bonus of more efficient and less gas used.
deanmcreynolds26

1st Nov 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John_C
If i was in your postion id buy a new boiler for circa £500 and install circa £200. £700 all in is more cost effective over a 5 year period than paying £20-30 a month + £50 a call out.

Over 5 years

New boiler = 700

A new boiler is unlikely to have any probs over the first 5 yrs. Added bonus of more efficient and less gas used.

who is fitting boilers for £200? doing themselves out of a lotta ££££
John

1st Nov 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£500 is a cheap boiler and you also can't really say that it won't have any probs over the first 5 years, also unless you fit it yourself, as Dean says, who will fit it for £200?
mattk

1st Nov 09 at 17:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a £500 boiler will be shit, and who ever is fitting it for £200 is a mug
Ren

1st Nov 09 at 17:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Over 5 years

New boiler = 700

If you're paying £50 call out fee on British Gas, you're going to be on the Flexi Agreement which means you're not going to be paying more than £18 a month, and this is for the top level of care (Boiler, Central Heating System, Plumbing, Drains, Electrics and Internal Gas Pipes.)

If you just want the Boiler cared for, you're looking at £13 a month with no callout charge, or £10.50 with a £50 call out charge. Remember that's per completed repair, so multiple call outs on the same fault only cost you £50 once. Based on that, 5 years paying £13 a month is £780. With unlimited parts and labour, and unlimited call outs, how is this a bad idea?

[Edited on 01-11-2009 by Ren]
Kathryn W

1st Nov 09 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Over 5 years

New boiler = 700

Its not just the boiler we're covered for.

All electrics, gas pipes, drains, central heating, boiler etc...

There isn't really anything wrong with the boiler that I know of.. just have a leak from somewhere.. And if it were the boiler then we are not in the situation where we could just pop out and buy one.

I think it's a very good idea and gives you a decent piece of mind knowing everything is protected
mattk

1st Nov 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its not your boiler or cooker, I isolated them, its either the internal pipework or the gas fire, gas fire looks quite new though so I doubt its that
John_C

2nd Nov 09 at 10:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha - love the responses...

Everyone has their own opinion. Personally instead of papering over cracks i'd rather spend the money on fixing the root problem that would give me piece of mind.

I have no idea of what it would cost or time to fit a new boiler but surely only a day? So why more than £200-300
John

2nd Nov 09 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So you've no idea how much boilers cost or how much plumbers charge yet giving advice on boilers.
John_C

2nd Nov 09 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh please...

http://www.gumtree.com/london/18/42434118.html

i was merely pointing out the otherside of the coin. If you save the money instead of spending monthly i'm sure you'd have enough to pay for a new boiler
John

2nd Nov 09 at 13:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's £150 over your £700 already and that will be if all they have to do is literally take the old one out and put a new one in.
mattk

2nd Nov 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats for a 24kw boiler too, thats not enough imo, you need at least 28kw for a 3 bed house, boiler swap is normally a one day job, its not just the labour, its also the responsibility you pay for
Kathryn W

2nd Nov 09 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
its not your boiler or cooker, I isolated them, its either the internal pipework or the gas fire, gas fire looks quite new though so I doubt its that

Well when we moved in and we were decorating i undone the wooden surround on the fireplace to paint behind it and there was a smell of gas... thats the only place i've ever smelt it
Limecat
Banned

2nd Nov 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ren
quote:

Actually Ren, Dean is correct.

Repair and Care is £3 per calender month more.

New Poll